“Nice hotel”
Review of Grand Borneo Hotel

Grand Borneo Hotel
Ranked #65 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 6 November 2010

The hotel is about 25 minutes from KK city, it is located in 1Borneo shopping mall so its great for shopping. The hotel has affordable rates, the room was comfortable and the bathroom was a good size. Buffet breakfast had a large variety and as we left early on the last day the hotel provide a takeaway breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful. There was a free shuttle bus service from 1Borneo in to KK and return which was easy and convenient to use.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Grand Borneo Hotel

Reviewed 31 October 2010

Stayed for 4 night/5 days in the Grand Suite. We got the 15th floor, so was quite high up and can see nice sunrise and sunset. The most significant thing about the room was the bathroom concept, the bath tub was just awesome, and I could see the surroundings while taking my bath. There's also separated showers and toilet too with frosted glass. The room was great. I cut through the regular check-in at the lobby, and instead I check-in at the Privilege floors cos of the room type I've got. Getting the room was pretty easy too, I got it via the internet and confirmed it using my debit card, and upon checking in I had a choice of either paying by cash, credit card or debit card! now that was convenient, no no.. that was very very convenient for me.

Shopping was a convenient too. Coming out from the elevator, there's a small glass door entrance that lead us straight into the shopping mall. It's as if we never left the shopping mall..! Clinic, pharmacy was close by too. The shopping mall also provide free shuttle for any guest staying in it's hotels, so we just had to walk toward the end of the mall to catch the free shuttle to town center for more options of shopping and bargains. So save a lot on taxi cabs fares going from the hotel to town center. The shuttle timings was alright too, you need to check the timings, and they are quite punctual too, sometimes too punctual..

The only draw back was the room service food and the dinner buffet food. For me, it's as if it was organize like a clearance sale items, quite disorganize, and most of the food was cold.. the good part about it was the restaurant layout. Love it. Simple and modern.

I would return back to the hotel, but definitely will not put my trust in the food even though how hungry I am. There's more choices of food at the mall lower ground area or the food court area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Desmond_lewis
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Althought the hotel is a bit further from KK city, but it is located in 1Borneo shopping mall so it is convenient for some shopping.
The hotel itself has affordable rates, although the room is a bit small but it is sufficient. Good airconditioning, good size bathroom and good buffet breakfast. If you just want something cheap and simple, this is great choice!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Grand borneo is right on top of One Borneo, the "largest hypermall in Sabah", which is about 20min north of the town center. So of course there is superb access to shopping, food and spas, which is great when you're staying there for 1-2 days. But when it comes to visiting other attractions it is rather inconvenient.
The rooms are new, clean, spacious and comfortable. Though the cleaners forgot to clear the uneaten (and rotting) honeymoon fruit basket left by the previous guests. The good-looking hotel staff are pretty helpful with recommendations and organising transport. The swimming pool is disappointing - it is poorly heated and has a token few jets in a corner to pass off as a spa.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Nympie
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Grand Borneo was a real let down.
The location meant we where constantly paying for taxi charter into town - especially with the 'shuttle serivce' never coming to collect us later in the afternoon. Our room was dirty - with food/drink splatter on walls and even a toilet roll which had been dropped into the toilet put back on the shelf to dry out- we requested to move rooms three times before we realised this was 'normality'! The pool wasnt heated and was freezing cold so we had no place to soak our sore bones after the mountain climb! Such a shame and put a real downer on our trip. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AustralianTraveller6
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I visited KK for leisure and wanted a nice hotel that wouldnt break the bank. It gave me the pleasure of a 4 star hotel without the guilt of shelling out for more than a 3 star price. The location is quite far from the city centre but as we did a few tours and were picked up from our hotel, this was not an issue. The hotel is next to Novotel and part of the 1Borneo district which has everything you could possibly need.
The rooms are nice and well appointed and very clean. The staff seemed to have their hands full in this popular hotel and the breakfast buffet is more than adequate. A real winner

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2010

As I write, am still booked in this hotel till tomorrow July 31, 2010. I must say Grand Borneo Hotel is value for money without sacrificing quality, service, hospitality! To those who were disturbed or irritated with some workmanship defects in the interior, that is VERY MINOR . Aircon is nice and cold! You just have to know how to use it. I booked a Superior room and the pics on the website are just what it looks like. I am situated on the 11th floor and have a nice view of the mosque and the main road. Free internet connection is a plus. When I checked in I had to request for additional towels because I was travelling with my kids. I got them in no time. Being connected to the mall is good. Just step out for shopping. The free shuttle service to downtown Warisan square and back is great! Saves you taxi money. What's a 15 minute ride to downtown? Will definitely come back and will continue to tell my friends about this hotel! Oh yes, how can I forget the buffet breakfast- a blend of Asian and continental-yum! I have travelled almost everywhere in the world and I can say this hotel did not disappoint me! Gotta go, my breakfast awaits.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family