“Never Again”
Review of Tang Dynasty Hotel

Tang Dynasty Hotel
Ranked #82 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Went twice to this hotel with family trip, Room cleanliness is totally poor, spot some baby coachroaches everywhere on the carpet. Air conditioning is poor. Will NOT recommended for romantic lovers, family & kids to stay here, its not worth to stay with this cheap hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank ryanofbrunei
There are newer reviews for Tang Dynasty Hotel

Reviewed 5 November 2010

noisy room as room overlooks busiest road in KK

bugs all over the room this morning

the whole hotel is poorly kept up and dirty

I only stayed here because the Beverly was booked and my suitcase was there (short distance from Tang Dynasty)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank numberoneson
Reviewed 10 October 2010

As an ex-hotelier and now a freelance trainer where I get to travel and stay in a number of hotels, I must say this is the worst I ever experienced amongst 3 star hotels. Building maintenance - deplorable, staff friendliness - 2 rating (no warmth, unfriendly), meeting room - dirty, no proper facilities, food - "sucks", TV reception - hazy, room - iron board supplied in bad condition, room not properly clean. Overall, the service is more of a hostel than a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Musyasoh
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We booked this hotel as a mid budget option as we were travelling to 3 different places as part of our honeymoon. We needed 2 nights accommodation just for a shower and to rest our heads as we had arranged a trip to Sandakan / Sepilok the following day and would be going to Shangri-La Tarung Aru the day after that for a beach based experience. We made our booking through Late Rooms, who I have found to be very good in the past.
We got there and were allocated a room on the 8th floor. The room was quite large and of an odd layout. It had the smell of a budget chinese buffet you wouldn't want to go to.
The oversheet was clean but it could be seen that the duvet was stained and there was an inexplicable stain on the head board about 4 feet above the pillows. I moved a chair to sit down and a large cockroach scuttled away disturbed from its slumber. I can't say that hasn't happened before in a hotel and it is in the tropics, so I didn't worry too much about it at the time. I was surprised to find a cockroach as the only item in the minibar though.
We went to bed and it became apparent that the air conditioning wasn't really functioning despite the range of available settings. This would explain the sweat stained bedding. The 8th floor windows would neither open or close allowing the sub optimal combination of lots of street noise without ventilation.
As I attempted to get some sweaty sleep, I felt something on my leg. Aiming a half-hearted slap at my leg, I felt a squelch. Wiping the ex-cockroach off my hand onto the side of the bed I eventually got some sleep. The bathroom too had its share of infestation. In the morning, I did not tell my wife about my night time visitor, as she had one more night to sleep there and this would have kept her awake.
We left for our trip the next morning and returned late in the evening. We noted that the room had actually been cleaned and tidied and the bed made.
The following morning, I was unable to get a hot water shower and was told but the hotel staff that they would look into it. Nothing happened about this. It was at this time I told my wife about hte cockroaches in the bed. She thanked me for not telling her earlier.
On checking out, we mentioned the hot water situation again. I pointed out that on a campsite, I may encounter insects, but I usually get a hot shower! No explanation was offered (some kind of apology, however insincere would have helped) but the staff just shrugged and proceeded to take the full payment from us. I stood back and let my wife complete the details and informed them that more people would find out about the quality that the Tang Dynasty has to offer. Don't say no-one told you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DaveStuntdouble
Reviewed 8 April 2010

The hotel is situated in a mall. But somehow, the whole place is lack of energy and I would actually said that it was more on the gloomy side. Was there with my parents and brothers for my graduation back in 2007. Having the suite, it was not a bad room but there's a big space for improvement. The food was not that good, nor awful. The amenities looks old and worn out and there was some funny stench in the room.

Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank traveller81_KL
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Our first trip to Sabah EVER for my sisters wedding, our hosts had booked the rooms a week in advance and paid the necessary deposit. We were scheduled to stay for 3 days. Our host even called up earlier to inform Tang Dynasty front desk of late check in (we had flown in on the last flight).

Upon arrival, we were told that the rooms earlier booked and paid for have been released to some other party. We produced our receipts and requested for the duty manager, however we were told that the duty manager was could not be contacted. We then asked for the General Manager, naturally, the General Manager too could not be contacted. The person handling us just shrugged us away, telling us that there are no rooms. After deposit paid much earlier!!!

As this is my first ever visit to Sabah, I pleaded with the Hotel to provide us with rooms. The staff then searched for rooms and finally located us the necessary rooms, all but one was cleaned or prepared. Its past midnight and my kids and aged parents and relatives were falling asleep on the sofa waiting for alternative room arrangement. Finally our rooms were given, on different levels of the hotel. House keeping never attended to us. What do you expect, General Manager, Duty Manager, Desk Office all are irresponsible.

The next morning while we were having breakfast, the hotel staff came and demanded that we pay up for the following nights stay, much to our hosts embarrassment.

After breakfast I proceeded to have my credit card imprinted for the following nights' stay.

Service is atrocious!

Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank molochi
Reviewed 22 October 2008

Judge for yourself whether you want to stay here based on my experience at this hotel. We were supposed to stay for four nights but checked out after only two, and will NEVER RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone at any time--plenty of other hotels in the area!

Our hosts had booked 7 rooms weeks in advance (with a deposit that covered 1 night's stay). The hotel had been informed that we would check in late as we were on the last flight from KL. On the morning of our arrival, our hosts PERSONALLY informed the hotel again that we would be checking in late. When we arrived, to the embarrassment of our host, we were told that our rooms had been cancelled!!

After an argument with the Front Office Staff, we were finally given 4 rooms (thankfully we required no more), of which 1 room was still not ready! The staff were rude and at one time even said they would forfeit the deposit. The Front Office Manager refused to come out when we asked to see him!

We were rudely awakened at 8 am the next day and told to pay up for another night as the deposit was insufficient (couldn't they just have asked this from us upon check-in? Or asked for a credit card imprint??).

When we went down for breakfast, the front desk staff asked the waiter to remind me that we still needed to pay for the room. (Mind you, the deposit had covered the night we had already stayed there, and was for more rooms than we actually used. And if drastic action was required, they could have easily locked us out at check-out time.) Perhaps this hotel just relishes in embarrassing their guests?

On top of that, we had requested several items from Housekeeping which were NEVER delivered to our rooms for the duration of the stay. The Housekeeping staff were sullen and just ignored our requests.

I suggest prospective guests do likewise and ignore this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family