Tuaran Beach Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Grandis(Kota Kinabalu)
US$166
US$159
  • Breakfast included
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$136
US$101
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa(Kota Kinabalu)
US$283
US$252
Agoda.com
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$110
Horizon Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$104
US$81
Trip.com
US$202
US$145
Agoda.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$62
US$58
US$161
US$115
  • Breakfast included
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$47
Trip.com
  • Pool
US$55
US$47
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 March 2010

we checked out the brochure online and read the reviews. Decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt..... I won't call this place a resort but a retirement holiday camp for elderly people. Free the horses for heaven sake or do something about the place. If you have teenage kids and looking for lively and entertainment activities, go to Rasa Ria..otherwise best stay away!

Reviewed 18 February 2010

Sorry - this is quite a long review!!! Forget all the rubbish reviews that I have just read. Go on and enjoy a fabulous holiday. Everyone's experiences are different and everyones expectations of holidays are different. Some people will never be happy.! We saw only one dog, and walking on the beach was fine and safer than anywhere we have ever been. If you got lucky you could see monkeys on the beach. (as a hint - go about 10.30 a.m.) Swimming in the sea is glorious. I didn't actually see any jelly-fish, but its just common sense to look out for them and get on with swimming. We were there for three weeks and I went swimming twice a day and never saw one. Its not the end of the world if you get stung anyway - the pool bar has a vinegar solution at the read in case of any accidents. If you can ride horses the experience of riding along the long beach must be wonderful. We wanted to do it but in three weeks did not simply ran out of time because we needed a relaxing break and did just that. We will ride next time. Yes there will be a next time. Quite apart from anything else the staff made the holiday perfect. We wanted to bring them all home with us. The food was the best we have ever had in any resort ever. Value for money was extraordinarily brilliant. We went for three weeks. Next year we want to return to do the rain forest tour and then go back to Tuaran Beach resort to rest and relax for another two weeks, and to enjoy their exquisite cuisine. Yes we did get bitten by loads of mosquitoes, but thats because we chose to sit under a tree in the dappled light so as not to get too burnt in the very fierce sunshine. We also probably stupidly did not cover ourselves in the awful smelling mosquito protection spray. Now that we are home the mosquito bites are settling down and I suppose that the mosquito bites were the ONLY negative thing. Next time we go we will buy one of those bracelets that prevent mosquitoes from even trying to bite, so that would be a recommendation to anyone. They sell them in the shop at the resort, but it might be better to get one before you leave home. I didn't find out about his possibility until the last few days. Everywhere was clean, and there WERE notices to say that you should shower before jumping in the pool. I admit that if I had just had a shower in my room or a swim in the sea I did not shower before going into the pool, but we witnessed the pool being cleaned regularly in the evenings. There is a changing room by the pool where there were four showers and lots of people would prefer to use those privately rather than shower by the pool. I admit that some people would simply get up and jump in the pool without regard for the pool/shower etiquette, but who cares in a pool full of water that there might be some sweat amongs the water. It makes me cross to see so many bad reviews for a place that clearly deserves more praise. The Rasa Ria in the next bay is stunning, and of course if you can afford it would probably offer far more. One of the things that was very refreshing at the Tuaran Beach was that there is absolutely no hastle from people on the beach. Nobody lined up in front of the perimiter wall trying to sell you saris, cigarettes or get you to photograph their monkeys or simply claim poverty and ask for money or sweets. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed, never enjoyed such good food on a holiday, but wherever we go the east we always have staff that are friendly. Its great, and if you want any more feedback I would be glad to give it. Another thing that was great was that there is a box for tips in the pool bar, in the restaurant and in the pantile bar, so you can put your tips in them and know that they are being divided fairly between all the staff and the "backstage" staff. You can't tip everyone individually, so this is the most fair way of doing it. In other resorts that we have been to you notice that on the last two days of your holiday there is much "fawning" going on as the staff try to be in your favour for tips, which somewhat spoils the relationship you have built up over the weeeks on holiday, but the way it is done in the Tuaran Beach resort is fair to everyone. The staff all line up to say farewell to those who are leaving and I cried when I left because they were all so special. I believe that we will be booking up again quite soon for next year. I need to lose some of the weight I put on during the holiday though because of such an excellent choice of food. We went with SAGA (send a granny away) and think they are brilliant. We went to the Tangerine Beach resort in Sri Lanka last year (also with SAGA) and had a similarly lovely experience with all the staff especially the saga rep - Adrian. The Saga rep this time was Melanie and she was brilliant too. I would thoroughly recommend this resort for people who just want to "chill out". There is no "animation team" in your faces all the time, but things to do are available if you want to join in. You just have to look. We were unhasstled and relaxed for three straight weeks of glorious food and sunshine and simply relaxing. I''m sorry, I haven't any photos to share. but could sort some out if you want to see them. We decided to not go to Sepilok to see the Orang Utans becsuse it was a long dayand very expensive, and there was not a guarantee that you would actually see them. (Having said that - everyone we knew who went had a brilliant time and saw loads. As an alterniative we paid just 65 ringets to go by taxi (100 ringets) to the Rasa Ria hotel where they have a nature reserve and where you can go and see the documentary film about the work being done to save the orang utans and then you climb up a boardwalk to a feeding platform and we saw three of them playing right in friont of our eyes. They are so special. I recommend going to the zoo at Lockowee if possible because iot is great, and there you will also see some fairly laid back orang utans who are obviously happy. The hotel has a shop where there are two half an hour. This was great and a good link to home if you need one.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TakeiteasyCornwall
Reviewed 17 February 2010

The public areas were infested with flesh eating insects. The food, especially the meat, of very poor quality.

The location is very isolated, although there is a good stretch of beach.

Unless you intend to spend your vacation around the pool and walking the beach, could not recommend this facility.

Whilst there was a shower at the poolside, but there was no sign encouraging people to shower before using the pool, consequently very few did. The result was that sweaty bodies, with 100s of open insect bite wounds were using the pool all day.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Staff were very friendly and tried hard but after that it struggles. Long beach walks were impossible due to dangerous packs of feral dogs, staff kept them at bay with sling shots around the resort. Night time feral dog fights underneath the your floor (if you are on the ground floor) meant not much sleep. One night at least a dozen guests became violently ill, despite being a resort for mostly non locals I suspect water served in the restaurant was not bottled. It's a long 1hr drive from Kota Kinabalu and there is nothing nearby to the resort, but if you just wish to lay around the pool that is not too bad.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Friendly staff. Service desperately slow. No decent bar.Pool nice. Sand flies awful - some of group in a real mess with bites. raw sewage. ballustrades unsafe - rotten. Miles from nowhere. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: January 2010