Summer Lodge
US$114
  • Breakfast included
US$344
US$303
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$103
Horizon Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$95
US$82
Trip.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$53
US$45
Hotel Sixty3(Kota Kinabalu)
US$64
US$60
Agoda.com
Hotel Shangri-La Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$52
US$48
Hotel Grandis(Kota Kinabalu)
US$107
US$97
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 June 2014

One thing good about this lodge is it’s very near everything: the malls, seafood restos along the bay, night market, bus and taxi stations, ferries, and stores and other restaurants. It is also located just along the Sunday Gaya market.

Also, going to the lodge is very easy via the airport bus (RM5.00 only), and you'll be dropped off at gas station near the Horizon Hotel. Just walk for about five minutes and you're at the lodge already (just tread along Jalan Bandaran where you would see a mini park in the middle of the road until you reach Mandarin Hotel and Jalan Gaya where there's a big Chinese arch beside at the beginning of the street. The Summer Lodge very visible from the outside because it has a sign of the name of the lodge.

Going back to the airport was also easy. Just a couple of minutes walk to the bus station for RM5 (not the same way when I arrived). But since I was in a hurry, I just took a cab at the taxi station beside the Horizon Hotel for RM30.00, which is a fixed rate.

One thing that made me choose this lodge is for having a private toilet and bath, not at its finest but I find cleaner than the room itself. It’s a very simple lodge that needs a lot of renovation. At RM60 a night, this lodge is the cheapest I could find with a toilet and bath.

The room given to me was not maintained properly. Aircon unit is dripping and signs of drips is very visible, and so is the ceiling. I didn’t like the smell of the room as well so I just bought air fresheners from nearby stores. The pillows smells as well. I had to spray air fresheners before I go to sleep just to make it go away.

The floors were also secured because each floor has a locked gate (and notes on the wall to lock it) before you could enter your room. However, some guests don’t lock the gate which makes it a bit unsafe because anybody can enter the building without being noticed.

The building where the lodge stands is also being shared by another tenant. During my stay, some of the next-door tenants were having a loud fight. The next thing I saw were appliances blocking the stairways but enough for just one person to pass.

Towels were also provided (very thin and very old), but you have to ask for it. They won't give you a replacement unless you tell them. A body wash and tissue dispenser is provided in the bathroom. There is also nothing to hang your clothes on. I just bought some two-way hooks at a Japanese store inside Suria Sabah Mall because I only brought a pair.

Lockers were also provided at the reception area. There is also no TV and no other amenities in the room, just a bedside table but that wasn't important to me. I just needed the basic stuff. If you want to relax a bit, TV is at the living area next to the dining and computer area. The back wash area where smokers can do their business is a bit dirty.

Free breakfast is toast, jelly, peanut butter and margarine with coffee or tea served between 6:30AM and 10AM.

This might be the least beautiful accommodation that I've had in all my travels but it has done its purpose in my four-night stay, both within my budget and location.

Room Tip: I've always considered location and budget when picking a room. No use having to save money on hotel if it's too far from the tourist spots, restos and public transport.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GNOBGNOB
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed for 1 night, but we wanted to leave even before that. It was like living in 'Joe's Apartment', the walls were covered in some black fungus and there was so much cockroaches. We checked in the afternoon, on the 3rd floor and it was all fine. Then we went out for dinner, when we returned there was a cockroach on our pillow, there was one in the bathroom, and another one on the floor. We asked the front desk if they had any cockroach repellent spray, but they didnt. Eventually we had to go out and get the spray ourselves. We killed about 5. And finally settled in to sleep, and thought all was fine when several more appeared. It was just too much and we asked for a room change. We got shifted to the second floor, which was better. No sight of cockroaches.

There are much better lodges in the area for the same price.

Visited June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 357traverse
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights - it's cheap but still too expensive.

Cons - cramped cramped room, no windows, bootleg accordion-like bathroom door.

Pros - good wifi and decent Air con. Maybe the fact that I didn't like KK (Kota Kinabalu) reflects on my opinion of this place too.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Cheap! Great location, but it was nothing special. The rooms were ok, the staff nice, the breakfast ok and the "living room" a nice place to chill. The electricity was not working for 1 afternoon, but worked when we came back from our trip.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KevinMarrrit
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

For the price you get a lot - we paid 60ringit for an aircon double room with private bathroom ( hot shower) and included basic breakfast.

Unfortunately our room had a leaky ceiling - right onto the bed. We managed to move the bed a bit to avoid most of the drops.

If you want a cheap room then go for it. We stayed in to other places in KK which were 20ringit more expensive but I would choose them over summer lodge next time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple