“Noisy, sickening aircon, quiet staff”

Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge
“Noisy, sickening aircon, quiet staff”
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Hostels around australias place seem to have something in common. None of them is good, ar least the 3 (!) I tried.

After my first night in KBL i felt like i was getting sick. I used the aircon and i suspect it to be the cause. It almost ruined my plan to clim Mt. Kinabulu.

My room was in front of the noisy road and i used earplugs even when i was not sleeping. Too loud!

The staff did not seem to be very happy and did not like to talk or even look at me much. She did her job well, but failed making me feel comfortable. It seemed like she did not like my presence and questions. But she helped me with organising my trip. I give her that.

All in all i did not enjoy my stay in kota kinabalu because people were not friendly no matter where i went. Too bad.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank i_love_earplugs

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Baliuag, Philippines
Reviewed 23 November 2013

You'll basically pay for what you get.. Basic breakfast.. They should be aware of the lacked of breakfast they served at morning.. Staff not much help because they can't understand english easily but they were friendly though but a bit weird.. A good place to stay and very cheap but lacks of social space and no free blankets/comforter at the bed..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a double room for 50/night which had a comfortable bed, good aircon and a good amount of space! We saw inside the dorms and they looked pretty nice as well. The bathrooms were clean and the water was nice and hot. Breakfast was very basic. Wifi was very good! Staff were not the friendliest but they weren't rude either. Good location right in the city centre behind the tourist info centre. If I came back to KK I'd stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank danigross88
Siquijor Island, Philippines
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed for a night on my way through town. Dorm beds are comfortable, with working but not very efficient AC (never got temp down to settings on dial but good temperature to sleep). No insect problems.

Breakfast is basic and 4 shared toilet/showers small but clean with hot water.

Lacks a little atmosphere and staff aren't very friendly but they're helpful enough.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mjhulf
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I has been there couple time, price is cheap among Gaya Street Guest House. Staying Dorm including air-condition. Close to town. convenient and clean environment. free Wifi and free computer internet for all the guest, its help me save some money instead I go cyber cafe for checking my mail. Just 1 thing I quite unlike is bath room do not supply free soap or shampoo gel.
Overall I am good for it, satisfied :)

Room Tip: gust house is next to main road, will be bit noisy during day time. however, there is no issue durin...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I gave this hostel 3 out of 5 because it is all OK, but not more than that. The room was spacious, the matrass a bit bumpy but OK, airco was nice, big windows were nice. Breakfast is simple but OK although sometimes covered in ants, showers are good, but the bathrooms are musty.
I'm a bit puzzled why i saw such great reviews about the staff. We didn't get towels and we were not told that the door of the entrance can only be opened using a card that you can get when you pay a deposit. No problem, but tell us!! Then I'm more than happy to pay a deposit and not getting locked out. The same hold for telling us that one shower is not working properly. Not a problem, but tell us instead of letting me figuring that one out by waiting endless for hot water.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank fjanssen
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

We wanted a quiet and clean place to shower and sleep at while we were transferring through KK. They sunk our deposit from a booking error through Hostelworld and fit us in a room on the "quiet side". They had one of three showers working. My girlfriend had enough hot water. Not enough for me. Then the water cut out altogether. None running from even the sink. I was stuck in a full lather and just had to towel off. The sleep was horrible as it is VERY noisy, even on the quiet side. Our bed came with two pitiful throws instead of a blanket, which did very little to cover my body.

We liked the free and strong wifi in our bedroom as well as the excellent central location.

• Stayed June 2013