“Cozy and Clean”

Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Strategically Located near other cheap but clean B&B, about 10 min walk from Jesselton Point (jump-off for island hopping). Easily accessible to a lot of attractions like Sunday Market (Jalan Gaya), restaurants, atkinson tower and viewdeck. Didn't have a problem getting back late at night either.

Stayed for 2 nights and never experienced a bad thing, the staff is helpful and knowledgable, free WIFI, place secure (lockers at the reception area) and well maintained. They have private rooms for couples, groups or dormitory types but all shared bathroom (2 showers, 1 toilet in 2nd floor).

Breakfast included (jam, butter, bread and coffee)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank byrone29
There are newer reviews for Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

You can stay in a room/dorm with breakfast for 20 ringgits, without towel or blanket (3 ringgits rental) and there are computers and lockers available at the réception which is not easy to find within KK. Good budget place to go around and visit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here for three nights and stayed at a later date again before leaving KK. Does the job very well. Clean, spacious, air-con is always on and breakfast very simple (bread and spreads) but plenty to go around. Wifi all over and worked all the time. Staff seem a little withdrawn, muted and slow but ran the place smoothly. Good location too, would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jgp1991
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Considering the price, this place is quite nice. Location-wise, it is excellent as it is near a lot of attractions.

Its air-conditioned, serves a simple breakfast of bread, jam, pb, butter with some coffee and tea.

The bathrooms are shared but its quite alright as they are placed in a common area outside the room. Its a VERY clean place I must say and its well kept.

Although not something you'd go back to all the time as there is a random chance as to the type of room mate you might have..like stinky ones...oh well..its part of the experience.

Beds are a bit creaky though but its just minor.

Room Tip: If you want a room all to yourself or for your friends, I know there are private rooms available. OR...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank justcallmehans
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. It was a standard private room for 60 RM per night. The room has an A/C, window and and the bathroom is shared.They provide free simple breakfast, wiFi, internet access, locker, tour information. You have to take off your shoes inside the hostel.

Staff: Very nice and friendly. It was easy to talk and transact with one of their staff Carey via email. Although she was quiet most of the time, she was helpful. My friend and I forgot to bring our transformer and she lent us one of theirs. When we went to our room to charge our phones, the transformer was not working so my friend went down to borrow another one. When she came back she had about 3 different transformers! We appreciate Carey's patience that time.

Location: The place is in Lorong Dewan (Australian place). There were a lot of backpackers lodging in the area. It is also near Jesselton Point. The hostel is a few meters walk away from the Atkinson Tower. You can also view the Signal Hill deck from this hostel. In fact, we went to Signal Hill from the hostel on foot. It took us about 20 minutes. There are buses that pass by the hostel. In the evening, you can leisurely walk to the Waterfront and Suria Mall which are about 2-3 blocks away.

Room: The room is clean and the bed is huge, we like the padded headboard, something that I don't usually see in budget hotels. There is also a dresser. The room has a huge closet and there were clothes hangers. There were 4 socket plugs in the room. A/C is working fine and yes it was a little bit noisy but it was tolerable enough since it didn't bother us when we were sleeping. (Or maybe we were just dead tired) They did not provide blankets but they did give towels. They were huge enough to pass off as blankets.

Bathroom: This is shared. There were 4 toilets with hot & cold shower. They were so tiny, though. Some people may find it hard to move around while taking a shower. I am so particular with the bathroom so I am happy that the staff check the bathrooms every now and then to maintain cleanliness.

Breakfast: It's the usual bread toast, marmalade, butter and coffee. They sometimes ran out of bread so just ask the staff at the reception and they will provide another stock.

Overall, I think it's a decent place to stay. The room is clean and although we checked out beyond the required check out time ( we were expecting to pay extra since it was stipulated in the Policy board posted in each room), they never charged us extra. Oh and by the way, they asked for 50RM refundable deposit for keys.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank yasameen_desu
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Hostels around australias place seem to have something in common. None of them is good, ar least the 3 (!) I tried.

After my first night in KBL i felt like i was getting sick. I used the aircon and i suspect it to be the cause. It almost ruined my plan to clim Mt. Kinabulu.

My room was in front of the noisy road and i used earplugs even when i was not sleeping. Too loud!

The staff did not seem to be very happy and did not like to talk or even look at me much. She did her job well, but failed making me feel comfortable. It seemed like she did not like my presence and questions. But she helped me with organising my trip. I give her that.

All in all i did not enjoy my stay in kota kinabalu because people were not friendly no matter where i went. Too bad.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank i_love_earplugs
Reviewed 23 November 2013

You'll basically pay for what you get.. Basic breakfast.. They should be aware of the lacked of breakfast they served at morning.. Staff not much help because they can't understand english easily but they were friendly though but a bit weird.. A good place to stay and very cheap but lacks of social space and no free blankets/comforter at the bed..

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends