“Clean and everything you need with friendly service”

Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 9 December 2010

This place is basic but very clean and in reasonably good location on the slightly quieter north east of city near restaurants, banks and tourist info.

Staff are very friendly, we stayed here three times and they remembered us each time.

There are shared showers and toilets but they are kept clean. Breakfast is included as well as free Wifi which has good signal strength. Double rooms have air con.

• Stayed: December 2010
There are newer reviews for Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge

Reviewed 11 October 2010

A nice little backpackers lodge: great location, clean and comfy.

Good value for money and comfortable beds. Our double room looked a little tired but was quiet and we slept well.
Hostel is well located for ferry terminal, bars, restaurants and nearby night market (which is the best place to get dinner in the evening)

The only real negative was the water supply, which frequently would stop - annoying if you're mid-shower! Otherwise I'd recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We spent four nights here, using it as a base for our climb up Mount Kinabalu. It is an absolute gem - the staff go out of their way to help, the rooms are modern, really clean and comfortable and it is incredibly cheap. It even has its own house cat.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2010

The 1st day I stayed in another hotel in a private room but it was terrible. So I had to look for other places, only here is cleanest with affordable price. It locates near Jesselton Ferry Terminal. I think Lavender Lodge near Filipino Market also clean but a bit higher. I stayed in a dorm mix room (male + female) but quite safe. Price 25RM + continental breakfast + aircon all day. There are 2 common bath + 2 common toilet, of course not comfortable and spacious like at home but I don't ask for more convenience at that price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This backpacker is located at a very strategic location; near to jetty, town and public transports (bus and vans). You can easily soak in the Kota Kinabalu Sunday Market atmosphere as they are just above the buzz. Cleanliness and friendliness is excellent.
There was once I stayed out too late and the lady at the reception actually waited up for me, very much like how a mother would (minus the nagging)!
They don't serve huge, heavy breakfast but it's enough to cure any early morning hunger pangs one may experience after a good night's sleep.
Bathrooms are shared but are always very clean.
Good stay and very good value for the service they offer.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2010

A place for all travelers to feel home and the friendliness of locals.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I booked this after reading the reviews from the other travellers, so wanted to give the alternative point of view considering my experience. In short, the staff are lovely and I feel bad putting this review on here, but I found it a very noisy place. It is on a main road and the walls and windows are very thin. Our room faced the back but I could still hear the traffic from the road. The walls between the rooms are extremely thin. We could hear every conversation at all hours of the day and well into the night and morning. If someone sneezed it sounded if it was in your room. We heard the couple having sex in the room next door. Lovely! It was friendly enough, but it was full of young European girls hogging the free computer to check their Facebook pages for an hour, even though they had been given a 20 minute time limit. There is free breakfast and the place is spotless and nice bathrooms. Yuan is a gem and really did organise our 2 weeks in Sabah for us. And while I feel grateful to her, we did not return and stay in this place when we returned to KK because I had spent 3 sleepless nights there. We were the only backpackers in our 40s, so maybe it is an age thing. Everyone else was in their early 20s. We wanted to get a good nights sleep and get up early and see stuff. The others would be up late and complain when they slept in they missed their bus to Sandakan. I would recommend it to people who are of a certain age and demographic, perhaps not suitable for those our age. I felt like putting this on here because we had no idea how noisy it was, surely others have noticed?

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple