“Horrible Experiences in Courtyard Hotel, 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu”

Courtyard Hotel @ 1Borneo
Ranked #79 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 13 June 2012

On 5th June 2012, we a group of 9 pax check-in to Courtyard Hotel for a 4days-3nights stay with booking of 5 rooms. Our booking were done via Airasiago.com for 3 Deluxe Executive rooms under my name: Wan and 2 Superior rooms under name: Lim.

All of us have been very excited and looking forward to have a very memorable joyous trip and yes, we were truly been served with a very memorable but horrible experiences!!!

Disappointment 1: Rooms Not Ready
Upon our arrival to the hotel at 2pm on the check-in day, we were informed by the Front Office staff on duty (a gentleman with spectacles) that rooms were not ready for check-in. As all of us were tired (furthermore, 1 of our group member was unwell), therefore i requested him to find a room (at least 1 room instead of 5 rooms as per our booking) for us to rest and freshen-up while waiting for the other rooms to be ready. After much efforts, he managed to find a vacant room for us. While doing the 1st room check-in, he had informed me that only RM50 will be required as deposit for each room and i had given him my credit card for verification for deposit of all the 5 rooms. He also requested for my mobile phone number as he promised to call me to collect keys for the other 4 rooms once they are ready.

Disappointment 2: No Call as Promised, No Check-in
Believed that we will be notified once the rooms are ready, we decided to have dinner some where near the hotel but our waiting was in vain as we did not receive any call. As it’s getting late, we were getting worry and have no choice but to cut short our dinner and return to hotel to check on our rooms’ status. To my dismay, no check-in being done and again I was required to do the credit card verification as the Front Office staff on duty (a lady) informed me that no records of any verification been made during the 1st room check-in. I am just wondering what had happen during the 1st room check-in process?

Disappointment 3: Faulty Shower Water-Heater
After much hassle, we were glad that finally we were able to check-in to clean decent rooms but the water-heater in the shower room was faulty as the temperature was irregular (water will be either too hot or cold) and this had happen in all the 5 rooms.

Disappointment 4: Morning Disturbance
On 09th June 2012 (our check-out day) around 9am, a male hotel staff (claimed to be from Housekeeping Dept) had tried to enter to 1 of our rooms (room no: 521) wanted to do room inspection as he claimed that hotel system shown that room was already vacant.

Disappointment 5: Late Check-out Request
On 09th June 2012 (our check-out day) early morning, I had tried to request for complimentary late check-out at 3pm for 2 rooms for 9 of us (1 of our group member was still unwell) to rest while waiting for the airport transportation at 4pm.
However, only 1 room was allowed for late check-out at 1pm (maybe I should be thankful as least there was 1 room for my unwell group member to rest).

Disappointment 6: Humiliation for Being Treated as Thief / Criminal
After we had check-out at 1pm, we had decided to store our luggage in bell/porter counter as we had plan for lunch at nearby shopping mall before the arrival of our airport transportation at 4pm.
At 4pm, as we had placed our luggage into the airport transport: a van and thinking that finally, we will be going home soon…But we were stopped by Front Office staff (a lady) and Security Officer (equipped with nightstick/truncheon!!! ) questioning us if we had taken the iron in room no:321 (1 of the 5 rooms we had occupied). They also demanded to inspect our luggage even we had told them we didn’t take the iron (first of all, we didn’t even request for any iron upon check-in or during of our stay there).
OH MY GOD!!! Why would we take the iron to travel miles back to our home in KL?! Or maybe they were thinking that we simply love to have an iron to add-on the extra kilos in our luggage so that we can ‘happily’ pay for the excess weight luggage fees?!
I really didn’t see any reasons that we should allow them to do the inspection but all the group members were worried that we might not be able to reach airport on time and miss our flight. To prevent further times wasting, I had no choice but to let them do the inspection. However, it seem that a little times had been saved but we were unable to save our dignity as all of us were totally humiliated when 2 Bellman were instructed to unpack our luggage at the hotel public area with the presence of all other guests…I can’t imagine what will they be thinking of us?! We were the guests but sadly, why were we been treated like Thieves/Criminals?! Security Officer equipped with nightstick/truncheon, is that necessary?! We were the hotel guests in their property, supposedly we should be more worry?
Finally, the nightmare ended when they didn’t find any iron in our luggage. Without any courtesy to apologize for all the inconvenience caused, we were allowed to leave the hotel to catch our flight.

Well, there’s also another issue in regards of my credit card that been used for rooms deposit. Upon check-in, I was informed by the Front Office staff only RM50 per room will be required as deposit. Therefore, only total of RM250 should be charged for deposit of 5 rooms but when I called to Credit Card Customer Service Hotline to enquire and to clarify some charges (as I am worry that the hotel might still wanted to charge me for the iron that they had lost and I know that they still be able to do manual charging to credit card)
I was surprised to know that my credit card had been charged at RM300 instead of RM250 and I am wondering why I was informed differently upon check-in?

So, if you happen to be in KK and will check-in to that particular hotel, please be extra careful, be alert, always double-check your credit card transactions and re-confirm the facilities in the room. If should there be any items that you feel should be there but is missing (eg. pillows, towels or TV), quickly notify or re-confirm with the Front Office or Housekeeping Dept.

I really hope that other guests will not encounter such unpleasant treatment/situation like mine. I am not trying to be exaggerate but till now I am still worry that the hotel will be calling to me and wanted me to be responsible if there is a Plasma TV been missing from their hotel rooms.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank AviWan
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Hotel @ 1Borneo

Reviewed 17 May 2012

the hotel was nice and simple and next to the mall which is very convenient. there is free wifi but only in the common areas. some of the rooms don't have windows and there was a really lowed noise inside the room when it rains. overall the hotel is okay if you are looking for a place to sleep.

the hotel is a little far from the city center. breakfast is nothing special but I like the ambiance of the restaurant

Room Tip: choose the more expensive room. the cheapest one does not have any windows and is far from the elev...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Hotel location only good for shopping. It is far from city center. Most of the staff we met are very unfriendly except for Mr Roslan who greets guest and tries be friendly with most of the guest having breakfast. .It is the only hotel I had stayed where the porter did not attempt to help with our luggage.
There is a free shuttle service provided by the mall. Guest are not aware as there as no display at the hotel.Taxis to city center is Rm30 one way. It is advisable to book the free shuttle service in advance as it is a first come first serve basis.It runs on an hourly basis so if it's full you have to wait another hour. We had a room on the 4th floor which has an exit used by its staff to their other departments, so even in the middle of the night, there are people walking along the corridors.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eve565
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The Hotel is not consistent at all in terms of their services ... E.g Booking, I call up and booked for a Queen size bed room and only to be told by one of their reservation officer ( female) that all rooms is full. I called up again after 2 days and to my suprised, they got rooms for me, and they even confirmed my booking by emailing me the confirmation, and i also done my part by replying their confirmation. 3 days before my check in date, they call me up again and asking me whether the booking is confirmed, how strange?? During my check in, they upgraded my room as the room i booked is full, and the charges is remained unchanged... Their breakfast is out of the question totally... very lousy... there even got flies flying around.... The front desk is very unprofessional.... eventhough i m at the reception desk first, try to get my keycard active back, there is a female receptionist, she ignored me completely... she keep entertaining ppl at my back , who just walk in ... but not service me first as i waited there for a while.... there is one more female front officer who i think is more senior due to her uniform is different, she also just standing there, looking what the other female reception are doing... Only when I raised my voice at her then she served me instantly...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Very satisfied with the room even though it was small with no window. Was charged RM5 for the flask though since the room did not come with one but it was ok for us. Staff are friendly and efficient. Breakfast was great (reasonable room rate included breakfast for 2) - menu was changed daily with a variety of food to choose from. Breakfast was served at the rooftop so had a great view of the mountainside and the city.. Location of the hotel is strategic since our objective was to explore 1Borneo - convenient and the food courts available there with menu at reasonable prices. Definitely will stay there when there is opportunity.

Room Tip: Better to choose room with window. a/c on 3rd floor was cold so not a problem there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank clareahoy
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Nice hotel located at One Borneo. Suitable for couples who are stopping over after a climb in Mount KK.

Courtyard is one of the hotels located in the largest shopping complex in Kota Kinabalu.

Convenient for stopover tourist and last night stay in this beautiful city.

Great shopping in One Borneo.

Rooms are relatively small but clean and nice with good security. Free WIFI.

Breakfast is rather simple on the top floor with an amazing view. Nothing to shout about for the quality of food.

Everything else as per standards of a 3 star hotel except at a great affordable price compared to other hotels in the main town of KK.

Room Tip: Nothing much differ.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The room is really nice and the price is reasonable.I think that the room is kinda small but it's just fine. The food there was really delicious ! We ate twice there and seriously, it was really cool. Oh yeah, the place is kinda strategic that it's connected to the 1Borneo Mall.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family