“Good value”
Review of 1 City Hotel

1 City Hotel
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We got a little bit shocked when we first saw the appearance of this hotel because it is located at a very dated shoplot building, but luckily the room condition is quite ok. Overall the room is clean, especially the bathroom is flawlessly clean with a good rain shower.head. The location is pretty good as well because you can walk across the street to Gaya street where the Sunday morning market is located. Plenty of good food around also, like the Fu Yuen coffee shop for good bread, Upperstar restaurant for cheap beer, Yee Fung for laksa etc.

Another thing to highlight is the good service provided by the front desk Sandra, very friendly and helpful lady :)

The only flaw is that there is unpleasant smell in the room, probably due to the air filter in the old-fashioned air cond. Anyway, for the price you pay, it's still a pretty worthy hotel stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for 1 City Hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Without fail, top Tripadvisor hotels lives to its reputation. I book the family room and fit 5 adults into the room. This hotel is a shop lot hotel, and it surpass our expectation. The room has a King and Single bed, and we aded 2 more additional bed. The room was clean, and the sheets and pillow were clean without any smell. The toilet is also clean and the surprising thing is that they change the towels everyday. We did not expect that.

The location of the hotel is at Segama, which is a few minutes walk to the Peer, Gaya St. and Markets. Its one of the best location as you do not need any other kind of transport to explore the city. Its close to Gaya St, Chinatown, thus close to many local Chinese food.

The only reason I am not scoring 5star is because of the windows. They are single glazed, and so the sound of the streets did bother us the first night. Our first night was Saturday night, and the Karaoke oposite the hotel blaze till late at night. Subsequent nights, there as no late night singing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KewLAng
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at the hotel in april 2013 for more than a week: excellent hotel, clean, unexpensive rooms and very friendly staff, especially the welcoming smiles of the 3 ladies Fetty, Diana and Sandra.
From your greatest belgian fans: Kim, Ilja and Mr. Sami.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sami R
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed at the 1 City Hotel for four nights in March 2013.

I arrived late at night at KKIA, and I was a bit apprehensive about a taxi as the hotel is fairly small and I feared it might not be well know. No bother though. The taxi voucher lady quickly recognized it and I purchased the voucher for RM30, fixed price.

The location of the hotel is good. It's in a central area close to most of the main shopping centres and restaurants. There is no breakfast at the hotel, so three times I went to the Old Town coffee shop which was about 5 mins walk away. Also it was very close to the starting point of a scuba diving excursion that I took (which was excellent, Divedown Below).

I opted for a Superior King room. The room was on the first floor. The decor and fittings of the room were adequate, and the bathroom was quite good. Housekeeping and cleanliness were average. My main complaint was that the building next door was under renovation, and drilling started at about 8am every day. It didn't matter too much to me because I was waking up that early anyways. Although this is not within the hotel's control I can see how someone would be seriously annoyed by this as the room was literally shaking once the drilling and banging started.

The staff at the hotel are friendly, the fluency of English spoken varies considerably. However I never had a problem.

Overall, I had a good experience, but the construction noise was quite bothersome. I might want to confirm that this was complete before staying again. But otherwise it was a good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank cpdc1030
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel, I booked it at the last minute and had low expectations, I just needed somewhere to stay before catching a flight.

The hotel turned out to be very good. It's in a brilliant location, close to the waterfront and one of the main shopping center, perfect if you are coming to kk for that purpose. The room was small but had more than I was expecting, a really good shower and bathroom and good aircon. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

In the center of the city, easy walking distance to Gaya Street, the waterfront, shopping and eating. Some maintenance work would make the appearance better; paint, resticking peeled wallpaper, reattach bathroom shelving that was falling off the wall, all minor things. The Queen room was pretty tight, we upgraded to a king and had space for our luggage. The price is definitely right. No mini fridge in the rooms, but the friendly staff stored our beer in theirs. Cleaning crew was a little spotty, our toilet remained unclean for several days, they did however change the linens regularly. More modern than other rooms we looked at other hotels in similar price range.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luv2trvlabout
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My husband booked this hotel for Feb 9th to Feb 13th this year but due to personal reasons, our trip was cancelled. When asked for refunds, there was none due to their policy. But it was fair enough that we were given a year of open voucher,which meant that we still could replan our holiday. And we thought it was great. Just by last week, we managed to spend a week in the hotel with great services. We were especially happy with the holiday spots which they had arranged for us. Wonderful trip!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family