“Good hotel in great location”

Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #19 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
London, England
“Good hotel in great location”
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We had a double room on the 10th floor with a partial sea view we paid about £29 a night through expedia. We stayed 5 nights. Friendly helpful reception staff.

Yes the room was small but perfectly clean. We had 2 ruck sacks and were able to store them away in the cupboard provided and hang up our clothes. The bed was lovely and comfortable and the bathroom was a good size - separate shower room and toilet.

Great location 5 minute walk to the waterfront. Lots of places for eating nearby - Asia City, the Night market, the waterfront. 15/20 minute walk to the jetty.

Couldn't fault it and would stay there again if in KK.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Libran_Lovely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I don't care what management has to say about savings for the customer, the rooms here are truly miniscule. just enough room to move around the bed, not nearly enough to open a suitcase.

The cleanliness is poor. There is alot of mold and gunk in the bathroom, particularly behind the door and around the fixtures.

My main proble with this place was the service. I walked in and was told that they needed my Agoda voucher, which I did not have considering I booked the night before and never, on my travels, have access to a printer. they did not relent on this point, saying it was mandatory, despite my showing them my passport and credit card for proof of my ID. they did not let me use their computer to print the voucher off, and directed me to their tiny computer station that I could log onto for some ridiculous price. I insisted that I would not, and they suggested I go to a restaurant down the street that had free internet and I could e mail it to them. I found the restaurant, but they neither spoke english nor had any idea why I should think that they would have any WiFi. When I came back to the hotel, frankly pissed off, they finally gave in and allowed me to check in. not at all a good start.

Afterwards it was just one amateur mistake after another. they completely mishandled it when i wanted to leave my bags in storage before my flight, and when I had internet troubles it seemed like a Marx brothers farce. someone needs to train these people.

The only good thing I have to say aobut this place is it's in a decent location. Not far from the jetty or the center of town, walking distance to the esplanade and the major malls, it was a good base to be in to see the city.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
CEKKSabah, General Manager at Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
I apologize for the unsatisfactory experience. We take pride in the cleanliness of the hotel and offer no excuse. The accommodation voucher is required as proof to collect payment from the 3rd party booker, it is the staff responsibility to collect it upon check in. We will ask the staff to be more understanding and flexible in the future. Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2011

This hotel is FANTASTIC. The bed is so comfortable and the rooms look and feel brand new. But outside of the room itself, I must say a HUGE THANK YOU to the staff at this hotel. I got quite ill with food poisoning from Mt Kinabalu trek and the staff here were amazing in assisting me to the doctor and making sure I was ok. Then, I lost my wallet ( in my sick & delirious state) but it was found by the hotel staff in my room after I left. They were fantastic in couriering my wallet back to Australia. The location of this hotel is very central, there are always taxi out the front, close to any restaurants, centrepoint shopping centre and the waterfront. And, it was offered extremely good value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Kathy255060
Singapore
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed at Cititel twice during my Kota Kinabalu trip. The first time we booked a Superior Triple – 3 adults (1 single bed & 1 queen bed), when we return from Mount Kinabalu climb we booked a Superior Twin (2 single beds). All booking were done on their website which is easy and simply.

Both room type offer toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, soap, towels, hand towel, tissue paper etc. It also provides us with hair dryer, electronic safe box, LCD TV, Individually controlled Air con, telephone.

Triple sharing room have Coffee or tea making facilities, mini fridge and iron & iron board provided which Twin room don’t have. But don’t worry drinking hot and cold water is offered at every floor (except level 12) for free and also microwave oven, iron and iron board services at the same area.

Elevator is in good and clean condition. Bed is comfy and clean. Bathroom is clean with hot and cold water and I like the powerful shower!! Staffs are friendly and attentive. Check in and check-out very fast. Location is great, 5 min walk to Center Point shopping mall, lots of coffee shop run by Chinese and malay next to the hotel.

No complain about the Triple Superior room it was perfect for us, for Twin sharing room there was limited space for our luggage and no window. But I still feel comfortable and cozy when I step in the room.

Very clean, modern hotel at an affordable price. Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 March 2011

- Great Locations, walking distance from shopping malls, and restuarants. Except for the harbour going to islands..
- The room is tidy, can't compare with resorts but absolutely great value for money.
- The only setback is that when we ask for the ways to go to some places, the staffs in the frontdesk only refered us to a guy who offer higher price (taxi).. and the local tour offered by the hotels are much expensive as well..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Condition:
The room may be small but it served the purpose and is in good condition and clean as it was only opened in Aug 2009. Great shower. But the wall is thin so don't raise your voice in the room.

Location:
5mins walk to Centrepoint Shopping Centre and less than 15 mins walk to Filipino or Gaya Sunday Market or Night Market. There is a chinese seafood restaurant (Welcome Seafood Restaurant) in Asia City which serves great food at cheapest price compare to other restaurants in the city. No regret. It was recommended by the locals. There is also a modern coffee shop opposite the hotel where you can have breakfast. The price is reasonable too.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank carmencym
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 February 2011

As others cititel express hotel, there always a large nice lobby which give a very relax atmosphere while checking in. Single room is just fixed for ONE person, two will be too crowded., Double room, unfortunately have no windows... not quite sure what happen, anyway, never stay in a room without windows. It is a bad experiences as we do not know days or night out there. So, left only 2 choices..either single or Triple room.
However, good location is an advantage. Nearby shopping complex.. Centre Point is a nice place to shop. 'One Borneo Mall' is too far from the city. Taxi cost RM 30 from hotel. However, nothing special there... just a typical shopping mall like else where.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends