“Quite good for one night!”

Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #19 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Cornwall, England
“Quite good for one night!”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed here just for one night whilst passing through Kota Kinabalu. It is in a good location as it is only 2 blocks from the front and right next to a large shopping mall. We paid 30 ringetts from airport to the hotel but somehow had to pay 45 to get back as it was 6.15 am! The hotel was fine although the room we had was only really suitable for a single bed – there was not enough room to even walk around the double bed and so had to climb in from the bottom! The bathroom was a good size although a light in the shower would have been useful as it was a little dark. Tea and coffee was provided along with a hair dryer. We requested a couple of extra pillows and some beach towels to take with us to go out to the islands and they were delivered promptly. In fact, we returned the beach towels to reception on the way back in and a short while later someone arrived at our room with some clean towels thinking we would need them to shower! We received wifi in our room although it was close to the lift so do not know if it was available in every room. Breakfast was provided but not included and as we were flying out early the following morning we didn’t get to sample it. A good choice for a short stopover – wouldn’t stay longer as there is no pool!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mir63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Eh, you get what you pay for here. Overall good location, but when the reviews say small room, they mean it! (We were in a standard.)

Pros: location, somewhat comfy bed, good water pressure and temperature, in-room safe, good wi-fi, fast elevators

Cons: TINY room-difficult to maneuver in with 2 people, no hand towels in the bathroom, no fridge, loud/heavy doors (I'm not a light sleeper and even I was woken once or twice by doors/kids.) Computer kiosk was out of order all 3 nights we were there.

First night called for extra pillows and were told they ran out, tried again second night and they brought some. Some of the front desk staff was helpful, others not as much.

If you're looking for a quick stay over not too bad, but 3 nights was a bit long for us to be so cramped.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Guam, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I thought this hotel was great for the price I booked with Agoda. It looks and feel brand new. It is very small as the other reviewers wrote, but that really did not bother me too much. The free wifi was fast and the hotel comes with free drinking water which is in the hallways. Also, the location was close to the night market. The mall is about a 15 minute walk away. The only negative is that yes, they could use mini fridges in the room. But, they also let me stay past the check-out time without charging. I would recommend this hotel without any doubts!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel itself ok for the price, KK hotels full so company booked me in here! For £20 a night don't expect much. Rooms are tiny but clean, although bathroom smelt of bad drains, staff lovely and helpful though.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank KnCliverpool

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Miri, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Even though I have been to Kota Kinabalu many times before, I have never stayed here. It was due to my last minute hotel booking and luckily I found out Cititel Express still has available rooms and straight away made an online booking.

Staff at front desk were friendly, helpful and efficient. Checked-in without any hassle and I got my room key in a matter of minutes, that was really fast! The room I booked (Standard Single) was rather small but I liked how neat and tidy it is. The bed is super comfy, I love it! I was staying on the 11th floor of the hotel and the water pressure was surprisingly strong.

Now comes the not-so-good part. Firstly, the hotel needs to fix the some of the doors as they need to be pushed or pulled really hard to close/lock resulting in a door slamming sound. I don't think the guest staying next door would appreciate that as the sound proof in each room is very poor. Please fix the sound proof problem as well, yes?

As for improvement, maybe the hotel can provide mini fridge in all rooms in the future?

I would definitely stay here again next time, keep up the good work.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank harris1675
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Having a vocation as the purpose to go to Sabra, the quality of hotel was not really important. Under this circumstance, living in Cititel was a surprise to me by its comfort and good service. The price is extremely fair, which should be no doubt. The location, although may not be close to the busiest area in KK, Cititel gets its credit of it through surrounding by mall, food shops and local tour shops. The food booth and shops are much cheaper and a thousand times more delicious than those near the busy area. Cititel is also near waterfront and other bars, which could offer an extraordinary experience for those who like to play at night. Cititel itself is well-known by local guides and thus they could pick you up right at the front of the door. Cititel has no way to be a brother to any morning activities. The room may not be big enough to some guys but I think its size serves well as a place to package storage and sleeping. The bed is big and soft that make my company sleep to death! Besides that, demanding so much by this price make no sense in my opinion. The service of front deck was remarkable. I didn't hear any negative reply for all my questions and problems. In conclusion, if you want a comfortable place to sleep and rest throughout your travelling in KK, choose this. If you want to taste delicious local food with reasonable price, choose this. If you want exciting lives in KK, choose this. If you cannot tolerate any bad service, Cititel will never let you down. Feeling like writing an advertisement at this end, I insist to write down what I experienced.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front side would have nice night view. Very good for talking and drinking. Rooms at the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Willc6262362
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Rooms are small but functional. Bath room is also small. However it's surprisingly comfortable and I enjoyed my stay there. It's a clean hotel and very near to many eating places nearby. Lots of good seafood restaurants nearby and lots of street food as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a north or south facing room to avoid direct sunset or sunrise. Sunset rooms are hot. Sunris...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple