“Overrated Thai Food. view good !!!”

Mai Yai Thai Orchid
Ranked #15 of 579 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
K L
“Overrated Thai Food. view good !!!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The food is "Thai Style " but not real Thai like you get in Thailand.
The service was slow even though it was.not a busy night.
With all the fresh seafood in K.K. one expects better. The crab all shell.
This restaurant is a "Tourist Trap " and is not cheap.
But only good for the view.

2 Thank brown656

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Ulsan, Ulsan, South Korea
“What a view, what lovely food.”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Situated right on the sea front in downtown Kota Kinabalu.
Bit of building work going on to the side of it at the moment, but don't be deterred, lovely food.
Myself and my chip loving son, went there and he actually gave nine out of ten for three of the courses. I loved the Thai fish cakes, and the pineapple fried rice.
Beautiful view out to the sea, go try it for yourself.

• Visited October 2013
Malta
“Returning a second time!”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Visited Mai Yai for dinner and honestly, I cannot recommend it enough if you love authentic Thai food.
It's located on the waterfront sandwiched between an "Italian" restaurant and seriously touristy hangouts so I was initially put off, though my husband insisted we tried it out.
We sat inside and had a clear view of the open kitchen which the Thai chefs, dressed in their ice white kits, were clearly proud of.
The menu features a good range of the classics... The soups, the spicy Thai salads, the curries and noodles. The classics can be ordered as starter portions for about RM13 or as main dishes for about RM23. They also had a good seafood section and an entire crab section.
We fancied a feast and ordered 3 starters to share between two of us; an exquisite green papaya salad, a truly divine Tom Kha soup and a dish of Phad Thai. Feeling perfectly satisfied on just the generous starters we awaited our mains, a vegetable green curry and a chicken Massaman curry served with jasmine rice, both were simply outstanding. This restaurant merited a second visit, so I'm sure we will be equally impressed with the food this evening.... Can't wait!!

• Visited October 2013
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Good food, great view”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Very tasty food and lots of it! Lovely setting outside by the sea. I had the beef massaman curry which was fab although the pandan chicken was tasty but very over cooked.

• Visited September 2013
“Excellent food, excellent setting”
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I like Thai food, but its not my favourite. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal here. I had a chicken Masaman, and it was excellent. There was enough chicken (breast, not on-the-bone offcuts that there are in many KK restaurants) to fill 2 people, and it was served in a hot-pot to keep it warm. I had it with steamed rice and noodles, but there was too much for me to eat in the end - noodles were a step too far!

We managed to get a table overlooking the sea which made the experience even better.

Overall, would recommend!