“The best staff ever”

Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“The best staff ever”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We stayed here a couple of nights. Rooms are very good value for money. Location is perfect, everything in the city is within walking distance. Staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. They will make your stay one worthwhile. Don't forget to ask ling ling about the tours, she will arrange everything perfectly.

Room Tip: Rooms with windoweferred
Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frans p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We stay a night after we back from mount kinabalu. I get a 2 single bedroom, just nice for 2 ppl. Room is clean, bed was so comfortable and got free wifi.

This hotel is near to jesselton jetty just walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lo_JM
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

No wonder this place has got great reviews. Stayed here for 3 nights and the location is excellent, right in the centre and appears well known by locals, taxi drivers etc. Very good value for money, very safe, secure. Rooms fairly small (you don't need a large room anyway) but very clean with all modern facilities. Found wifi a bit slow but I put this down to the hotel probably being full and many guests using it. Main thing though is the staff. Chee Ling Ling is extremely helpful and goes way beyond the call of duty. She helped us plan 5 days of our trip at another couple of locations and was always on hand to help us out and I couldn't thank her enough. The entire place is immaculate and from the moment you step in you can tell they take a lot of pride in the place. Thanks so much for a great stay.

Room Tip: I booked a few days ahead but due to this place being so popular could only get a room without a win...
1 Thank graham07930
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed here for two nights, before and after climbing Mt Kinabalu. For the price we paid, I was expecting something fairly basic but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival - it is more like a small hotel than a budget guesthouse. The room was spotlessly clean with crisp white bed linen, plump pillows and decent towels, with a flat screen tv, bottled water and fresh flowers for that extra but of comfort. The first room we had was small with no window, but it was perfectly comfortable. Bathroom was imacculate, good water pressure and hot water. The second room we had was a king studio, with a window looking out onto Gaya Street that offered the same level of cleanliness but with good natural light. The perfect place to collapse after climbing the mountain!
Apart from the quality furnishings, professional appearance and attention to detail, the staff are definitely the stand-out feature of this hotel - Ling Ling, the Front Office Supervisor, was particularly welcoming and helpful, explaining how to get to Kinabalu park and arranging transport for us to the airport when we left. We were able to leave our backpacks at the hotel while we were away in Kinabalu Park, and returned a day later to find the bags already placed in our (different) room, for no extra charge.
The only reason I couldn't give them full marks was a complaint my boyfriend had about the admittedly noisy air filter in the first room - because there is no window, you have to keep it on during the night and if you are a light sleeper, this can be a bit of a problem. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this place for people looking to stay a few nights in Kinabalu for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a window to avoid the noisy air filters in the windowless rooms.
1 Thank Globetripper86
Austin, TX
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I was traveling with two friends, so we opted to book the Queen + Single based on the photos that we saw. I was a little disappointed in the room, as it was much smaller than the photo indicated. I did happen to peak into other rooms with the same same Queen/Single configuration, and think we must have gotten the "small" version of that type of room. Overlooking this one detail, I enjoyed my stay at Eden54. It's a blend of hotel and hostel, with a common area that houses a fridge, microwave and toaster oven, so you can make your own breakfast. The hotel staff were friendly, and made outstanding recommendations for both food and activities.

The location is further north than other accommodations, but still close enough to restaurants and the markets that it wasn't a concern. On the plus side, it was very close to the Ferry port, so we could quickly hit up the boats to the outlying islands to do some snorkeling and relaxing on the beach.

Sadly, my last night was marred by a construction crew working in the alley right outside my window the entire night, something out of the control of the Eden54 staff.

Overall, I would recommend Eden54 to friends and family who are looking for a quick Kota Kinabalu getaway.

Room Tip: If asking for the Queen+Single, make sure you get the one with the attached door to the room next do...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank longhorn513
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

For the amount we paid for our room I was very happy.

The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Drew on a map where all of the best places to eat were and they were spot on. One day I asked how I could get to the downbelow dive shop, they told me not to bother walking and helped me book over the phone. Wonderful of them.

The room was very clean. There were signs up about renovations but I didn't hear any noise at all.

It is very close to a large shopping centre and every tour operator and taxi driver knows where it is. We had a great stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank TimboAu
Hong Kong / Kelowna, BC, Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Have been traveling across Asia in the past 3 years, covering 15 nations and 48 cities, I think I'm qualify to be a pretty good judge on Hostels/BnBs.
I have the chance to travel through 4 different parts of Malaysia in 4 different occasions in the past 3 years, and let me put it this way, accommodation in this country is generally behind other places in the same price range, regardless if it is recommended by TripAdvisor or not.

Location:

Great, it really is. Walking distance to anything you'd need within downtown Kota Kinabalu. Just merely 5 mins walk from the Jetty to the Islands, supermarket just around the corner, restaurant everywhere. This is exactly what you'd call a downtown hotel.

Security:

There is one security guard on duty at night while the reception is close for the day. And he is also responsible for checking-in late arriving guest. I wouldn't say the security is bad, but the general security level in Kota Kinabalu is not great neither, a lot better than Kuala Lumpur for sure. Just exercise basic precaution and you should be fine.

Services:

Hmm... a mix of good and bad. The late night security staff was very nice and response to request promptly. But no matter how efficient the guard was, he's still a lone soul and may overlook customer needs sometime. The other thing is that the hotel is located on the 2nd floor without elevator, meaning that you'll have to carry your luggage up the stairs, not really that big of a deal tho.

Dinning and Facilities:

1) No Dinning.
2) WIFI in room but very inconsistent signal and slow at times
3) one computer with printer at the lobby, it cost RM0.5 per page for B/W.

Services:

Good, not great. You don't get the home away from home feel that you'd usually get in B&B's in places like Laos and Vietnam. It sure did a fantastic job in pointing out the great attractions and help arranging local tours. But it all felt very transactional with little human interaction involved.I can't really explain the feeling in words.

Rooms and Sleep Quality:

Rooms were okay, a bit small for 2 person. Beds are okay, not extremely comfy neither. Windows without a view, and it cannot be opened. The lack of fridge in the room is annoying, there is however a public fridge at the hallway for everyone to use, someone stole my root beer one night! Hot water was also inconsistent, if you're planning on having a hot shower: good luck.

For the price I'm paying, I'm not expecting much, so I guess this is acceptable.

Will I recommend it? Yes or No.

You can have yourself sleeping in Shangri-la for about USD64/night with all the facilities like Pool and Gym and free airport transportation included or you can have yourself staying at some Island resort away from the city at a lower price, I really don't see the point of staying here when it cost roughly USD39/nite here.

Is a great stay if you can't find a better deal.

2 Thank Crossingtheglobe