“Disappointed with room but superb service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Eden54

Hotel Eden54
Ranked #2 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Singapore
“Disappointed with room but superb service”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I booked this hotel because of its great reviews and the #1 ranking at TA. However, I guess it was my mistake that I didn’t tailor my expectations to the offered price, thus I was disappointed with the rooms. I stayed in both Compact S and D rooms, which faces the back line of an old building and rubbish dump. I was expecting windows with greeneries as shown on the website, but only to realized that not all rooms had that facing.
I must say that it’s a good budget hotel with no frills - adding up to cost for budget travelers, and for traveler type who aren’t too fussy. Unfortunately, I belong to the “fussy type” and I agree with another TA reviewer that some of the reviews oversell the place, thus I’m listing more downside with the place as compared to the upside which could be read in most reviews:
Upside:
Very good service and a big thank you to Ling Ling. Every staff I met was friendly and helpful.
Great location.

Downside (note: these are very minor issues which may not bother you if you are aware that this is a no frills budget hotel) :
Small rooms - This wouldn’t be an issue if size does not bother you: Compact S room had very little room for walking and I had no place to put my luggage bag! I had to put my medium sized luggage (it’s not the big type) on the floor in between the twin bed and couldn’t open it up fully (180 degrees, I can only open 90 degrees). Compact D room is slightly better as it had a queen size bed which gives a bigger walking area by the side of the bed.
No telephone in the rooms! So don’t expect to call operator or room to room. Many times I had to leave my young child in the room and take a short walk to the reception. This caused inconvenience as I’m traveling alone with a young child who may not like to be left alone in the room.
Issues with bathroom: cracks on the toilet seat which I got pinched many times… ouch! In addition, there was no toiletry ledge in the bathroom and there wasn’t sufficient space for me to put my toiletry bag at the sink area either. There was one very miserable holder which is attached to the instant shower unit. It wasn’t big enough for me to put both adults and kids toiletries, thus I had to put them on the floor which makes it troublesome when one had to bath young children.
No hand towel provided… unless you ask for it. Of course no hand towel holder too. The standard is two bath towels and every day I had to ask for hand towels as housekeeping does not replace it. Also, no tissue box is provided so I had to buy my own from the supermarket.
Somehow, I don’t find the bed comfortable and couldn’t get a good night rest throughout my stay. Again, it would not be an issue to you if you aren’t a sensitive sleeper who is used to certain quality comfort back home.

In a nut shell, this place is great if you adjust your expection to the price you are paying and not by it's #1 ranking above 5 star hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Matfern

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This is a great hotel with incredibly welcoming, happy staff who do their utmost to help. They helped us with luggage, even gave up their parking space to allow us to park in front of hotel and arranged for laundry to be done with minimum fuss and quickly. Any questions we had on things to do such as trips to Turku Abdul Rahman National Park were answered helpfully and easily. The rooms are very tastefully decorated and there is a communal area where you can sit and make tea, coffee and simple food like toast. There is a fantastic restaurant along the road from the hotel - can't remember the name but beside the very, very busy Chinese restaurant and with a sign saying 'No MSG'. The hot butter prawns, crispy pork and gedongdon juice are the best! Would definitely recommend to others. Worth knowing if you have small children that you can pay for a day's use of the swimming pool facilities at the Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort Hotel about 30 minutes drive from Hotel Eden.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The hotel is very, very clean. Rooms are also quiet at night. Location is very good, it's between the city center and Jesselton ferry terminal.

One can not dispute the excellent quality of their service--even better than any 5-star hotel I've been. Ms. Rosanne and Ms. Ling Ling were so accommodating. Once you stay in front of their desk, they would pause whatever their doing and answer all your queries. We told them that they should build another hotel in a different city, but as their guests are their number one priority, they declined saying that service would be different if they are not there.

I would never find a hotel as good as this one. When I go back to KK, I will definitely stay in Hotel Eden54!

• Stayed July 2010
Singapore
Reviewed 31 July 2010

like the rest of guests, we chose Eden54 for our accommodation in KK as a result of it being being #1 in tripadvisor and also the photos uploaded attracted us too. however, to be the honest, the low cost did leave us wondering if the photos were deceiving and it was going to be the worst hotel, esp when we were given the "rooms with no windows".

but of course to our pleasant surprise, the rooms were really clean and well furnished. not really big, but it has all the basic necessities. Towels were changed everyday! Room was made up everyday! It also has a reception area which is warm and welcoming and a small "bar lookalike" kitchen with utensils, microwave etc.
The overall design concept of the hotel is also very pleasing, that looks like a 5-star hotel.

and we have to mention the great service provided by the frendly staff. the moment we stepped into the hotel, they welcomed us with a warm friendly smile. When we arrived in KK, they immediately went to arrange for a car rental service for us as we requested. They were ever ready to answer all our queries, provide us with the cheaper alternatives to various atractions and will ask us how our trips went at the end of the day!

If you are in for a value for $$$ hotel w/o all the extra frills, Hotel Eden54 is definitely for you with the 6 STAR services!!!

Thank you Rosanne / Ling Ling , we'll still stay @ eden if we are going back there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We stayed at Hotel Eden for four nights on the basis of it being extra good value as well as #1 on Trip Advisor! And it lived up to expectations. There were no budget rooms with windows available so we had to go in the 'inner' non-window rooms, which although very small, had everything you need and were trendily decorated. There is a very communal feel to this place, a large lounge you can chill in, even a kitchen available for use. And of course, Rosanne and Ling Ling were worth their weight in gold as far as advice went. We also took advantage of their recommendations for cheaper trips to island beaches and cafes. They know their town/area inside out and are so willing to share that knowledge. When they took our laundry, they even dried our beach towels (before washing) to make them lighter so it cost less (we didn't ask for that of course). This is typical of their pro-active helpful attitude. Totally recommend for budget travellers who can hack the small rooms and stairs - everything else is great!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights and i must say that this hotel have alot to offer. We tried to book the Family Plus room for 2 nights but was informed that the room is only available on our 2nd night. Ms Ling Ling mentioned that she will give us the Family Plus room if anyone cancel their reservation. Guess what? Ms Ling Ling called us 1 day before our trip to inform us that there is a Family Plus room available for our 1st night. It should be noted that Ms Ling Ling was keeping to her promise and gave us a Family Plus room. We arrived earlier than the check in time but was allowed to check in. Ms Ling Ling was very helpful by telling us places we should go for our lunch and dinner. Also, the free internet service was good. The room was simple and nice. However, only setback is that they do not provide hairdryer but we have our own. Housekeeping was good and i think that the location of the hotel is good too. It is merely 5 mins walk from Jesselton point(ferry), 1 min walk to Suria Sabah (new shopping mall) and alot of food stall nearby.

I will definitely stay here again if i travel to KK.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We booked this hotel on the basis of other reviews which praised the helpfulness of Ling Ling and other staff. They were absolutely right; they took a pleasure in directing us to the cheapest water taxi to the islands for snorkelling (30 RM - compared to 150 RM from a 'specialist' tour operator) and were particularly good on local cafes, restaurants and food courts (try the Hua Hing 'live fish'). Good central location - 5 mins from Jesselton pier ferries, 5 mins from waterfront markets. The rooms were clean and well equipped; they keep the price down by having no frills - no bar, no breakfast, etc but plenty of nearby cafes.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple