“Nice Hotel Friendly & Helpfull Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Eden54

Hotel Eden54
Ranked #2 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
wigan uk
“Nice Hotel Friendly & Helpfull Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed at Eden54 for the first 4 nights of our holiday in Borneo. The location is great for Jessleton Point but that's about it, everything else is a good walk away. We booked a compact double which was more than adequate as we didn't spend much time in the room anyway, but when we did need a lie-in to get over our jet lag we were not disturbed. the staff were friendly and helpfull right from the first enquiry to our departure. Breakfast is not included but this is not a problem as there is a supermarket next door where you can get toast and coffee.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pipmoss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

this is long overdue but definately worth bragging about!

my friend and i did a 2 month long travel trip around asia. we went to sabah malaysia for the beaches but was kind of let down for the islands could have been prettier and the mountains could've been more interesting. but ling ling made our trip so memorable. she is kind and caring and has alot of little stories to share. she's always putting your best interest first and trying to make sure your trip goes according to plan. she will always ask if you've eaten and if you haven't, she will always be willing to recommend something, at whatever the hour may be!

the hotel room itself was nice and cozy. the atmosphere of the hotel is very different from other hotels in which we have stayed at throughout our trip but different is good and definately memorable. definately clean and the air conditioner is cold; which is awesome!!!

ling ling and rosanne made our trip to sabah very memorable. and although we have stayed at so-called high end hotels in other parts of our trip. this is by far the best considering the price and impeccable customer service!

their kind hospitality makes you feel welcomed and feel one step closer to home even if home is on the other side of the world.

if you're in sabah, give eden54 a try. you won't be let down!

-z&n

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

I've always thought service was overrated so when we booked this hotel it was more for the clean rooms at an extremely reasonable price. However, the service here is so wonderful that I HAVE to gush about it. 5 star hotels have concierges, Hotel Eden 54 has Lingling. Not only did she patiently sit through our constant changes in plans (we had landed in KK without making any plans for activities) she also helped us book a trip for the river cruise, check other hotels for vacancies (for the nights when Hotel Eden 54 didn't have vacancy) and got us an extra comforter when they ran out of double beds and my friend and I had to share a queen. And she did everything with a smile! On top of that, the rooms were tasteful, clean and they have the most comfortable beds ever. My friend and I both commented we slept really well. In fact (and I'm embarrassed to say this) we would not go out too late at night just so we can go to bed early and enjoy really good sleep. Hotel Eden is great value for money, conveniently located and it comes with the most wonderful service!!! Thanks again Lingling for all your help!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank yjp22
Capelle aan den IJssel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed in the Hotel for 4 nights in July. Location is perfect, very close to the jetty which is very nice because when you want to go to one of the islands in front of Kota Kinabalu you only have to walk a few minutes to get on the boats that run to the islands very frequent.
The room we had was very clean and so is the bathroom. We had a room with 2 double beds. The staff is very friendly and give you all the advise you need.
They don't serve breakfast in the hotel, but next to the hotel is a great supermarket where you can buy everything you need. There is also a shop located very close to the hotel where you can buy fresh fruit. In the hotel lobby there is a small kitchen that can be used to make your breakfast and there is a fridge where you can store your things.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

This hotel was recommended 100% on Trip Advisor when I was searching for a place, and is still 100% recommended. That speaks for itself. Great place, good value, and excellent service. Definitely ask reception for tips on what to do at KK, they are passionate about the place

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

Stayed here in mid-July. Choose this hotel because of the good reviews and that the price was good. We booked the family room and when we arrived it had two queen beds in it. While our daughter likes having one to herself, it made the room very small. Recommend that you request just a single extra bed. Loved the timber floor instead of carpet. We stayed here for 2 nights and found the staff friendly and helpful. They even arranged to have the hire car brought to the door …. however you need to pay the car company in cash. As this is only a two floor hotel, there is no view from the rooms at the back where there is no traffic noise. Entrance to hotel is on street but the accommodation and reception is on the first floor. There is no lift so you will need to carry the bags upstairs. The staff will bring it up for you if required.

Check-in and check-out were both quick and easy. Friendly staff, who are glad to do anything for you. Nice lounge area with toaster and tea making facilities.

Location is close to town, supermarket next door, ATM at bank just pass that. A couple of blocks walk to Wisma Merdaka shopping centre which we found was the best. Other main shopping center was Centre Point at the other end of town.

Room and bathroom were clean. Air conditioner in room was noisy, like most that we came across. Kota Kinabalu airport is to the south of town but all the planes take off over the city so there is some aircraft noise in the room later at night and early in the morning. This is not the hotel fault.

Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

I booked this hotel because of its great reviews and the #1 ranking at TA. However, I guess it was my mistake that I didn’t tailor my expectations to the offered price, thus I was disappointed with the rooms. I stayed in both Compact S and D rooms, which faces the back line of an old building and rubbish dump. I was expecting windows with greeneries as shown on the website, but only to realized that not all rooms had that facing.
I must say that it’s a good budget hotel with no frills - adding up to cost for budget travelers, and for traveler type who aren’t too fussy. Unfortunately, I belong to the “fussy type” and I agree with another TA reviewer that some of the reviews oversell the place, thus I’m listing more downside with the place as compared to the upside which could be read in most reviews:
Upside:
Very good service and a big thank you to Ling Ling. Every staff I met was friendly and helpful.
Great location.

Downside (note: these are very minor issues which may not bother you if you are aware that this is a no frills budget hotel) :
Small rooms - This wouldn’t be an issue if size does not bother you: Compact S room had very little room for walking and I had no place to put my luggage bag! I had to put my medium sized luggage (it’s not the big type) on the floor in between the twin bed and couldn’t open it up fully (180 degrees, I can only open 90 degrees). Compact D room is slightly better as it had a queen size bed which gives a bigger walking area by the side of the bed.
No telephone in the rooms! So don’t expect to call operator or room to room. Many times I had to leave my young child in the room and take a short walk to the reception. This caused inconvenience as I’m traveling alone with a young child who may not like to be left alone in the room.
Issues with bathroom: cracks on the toilet seat which I got pinched many times… ouch! In addition, there was no toiletry ledge in the bathroom and there wasn’t sufficient space for me to put my toiletry bag at the sink area either. There was one very miserable holder which is attached to the instant shower unit. It wasn’t big enough for me to put both adults and kids toiletries, thus I had to put them on the floor which makes it troublesome when one had to bath young children.
No hand towel provided… unless you ask for it. Of course no hand towel holder too. The standard is two bath towels and every day I had to ask for hand towels as housekeeping does not replace it. Also, no tissue box is provided so I had to buy my own from the supermarket.
Somehow, I don’t find the bed comfortable and couldn’t get a good night rest throughout my stay. Again, it would not be an issue to you if you aren’t a sensitive sleeper who is used to certain quality comfort back home.

In a nut shell, this place is great if you adjust your expection to the price you are paying and not by it's #1 ranking above 5 star hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family