“Dirty, Noisy and Lousy!”

D' Beach Street Lodge
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
“Dirty, Noisy and Lousy!”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I had high hopes as it is located right in the heart of the city but disappointment cames in the truckload upon arrival. My family and I were booked into a dorm but we had a room to ourselves as there's no other travelers. The way to our room was almost like a maze and it smelt of urine and garbage in all the hallways! The room itself was clean with air-con but definitely not sound proof! Not even ear plugs could give us a peace of mind or good sleep for that matter till the karaoke downstairs stopped operating in the wee hours of the morning! Bathroom was run-down and just barely functioning and usable. Would not return for another stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I have mixed thoughts about this place. I stayed in one of the 3 bunk bed dorm rooms on the 2nd floor. The room was clean and had A/C. The bathrooms weren't so clean and our room was close to the garbage room (or something) cuz it smelled like rotting durian and meat - disgusting!! It's attached to a bar that had a karaoke and dj night going on, so it was loud until early a.m. But a good location if you want to be close to some nightlife.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 0n_the_move
Mora
Reviewed 23 November 2012

For the price, the lodge is OK. Breakfast is about the most basic you can find but the coffee is OK and unlimited. Great balcony but I wish the balcony would be smaller and the room bigger :)
Not very clean or nice and could do with a bit of paint. One morning there was a mushroom growing out of the carpet, I will post that one as it is a first for me.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Klottravare
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I read about the noise and bathroom issues before booking. I foolishly thought, "I can handle it, its cheap and I won't really mind. I've probably stayed in worse places." Well, I never got to test that theory b/c after a 20 minute fiasco trying to check-in with a reservation (they had my name, but weren't sure they had any rooms open, had no idea how to run my credit card, etc etc...ultimately we agreed since i was staying three nights we'd try to pay again in the morning), I saw my room and stormed out looking for a new place to stay.

Armed with a room key and an A/C remote, my friend and I walked up the stairs from reception, across the outdoor seating area to our room on the left where we found the door ajar - no room key necessary. The first thing that hits us is the FOUL smell...have we stumbled on a dead body? Our eyes focus and we see cats, lots of them, gnawing on bones on the stained, sheetless mattress, on the floor and on the balcony. Lots of cats. They were apparently eating what remained of the previous tenant. The rest was like someone purposefully tried to recreate a bad horror movie...unsecured wires hanging out of the wall, a photoless frame hanging askew above the bed, a phone w/ cord but no receiver, a pile of crumbled conrete? plaster? in the middle of the room, stains on the wall, floor and bed. The door to the balcony we'd been "lucky" enough to get was wide open and did not appear to close properly. It opened out onto aluminum rooftops that the cats disappeared into when we entered the room. I stood in shock for a solid two minutes (my friend entered the bathroom, I was not that brave) before turning on my heel and walking back downstairs. I dropped the key and remote on the desk while saying "this is absolutely not going to work out, are you kidding me?" without coming to a complete stop. Ten minutes later we were at the Gaya Centre Hotel reserving their last room. My only regret was not braving the stench long enough to have the forethought for pictures.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Camping with headhunters is a better option.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kissthefr0g

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 August 2012

At first glance the rooms seem okay and the location is good. However, cleanliness and quietness are simply not applying to this hotel.
A very noisy karaoke disco bar makes it impossible to sleep until 12h30 am (and we like to travel as much as having rest at night). The second pre-booked night we changed room to a interior without window. This improved our situation a bit but still we coudl hear everyone stepping up and down the stairs.
The rooms are not new and have a dusty appearance. We saw a mouse today.
Air conditionning works well but many light bulbs and lamps did not work.
Staff is helpfull and kind, but it remains with us a helpless feeling, as it does not seem a much customer oriented hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Staff is nice helpfull and willing to negotiate a good price! The place is nice looking, rooms are good, and everything is as good as it gets in Asia!
If you want a quiet place to stay, please go to a rural area. The centre of KK night life is obviously not for you...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Roskilde, Denmark
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I've stayed at the Lodge in two sessions this summer, with good friends. We had a good experience, and hence returned. The staff is friendly, quickly knew our names, gave good rates and even offered fries. Awesome.

To the tards complaining about noise, I can only say: why stay at a place obviously placed in the middle of a bar area, if you want to sleep early, there are plenty of places in the nearby, quiet alleys. Please leave room here for people that actually want to be social. There is plenty opportunity to be that.

We experienced only clean, well equipped rooms, and the breakfast is decent, at least if you are not staying in the dorms. My only complaint would be the laundry: it costs twice as much as local laundry shops, less than 100 meters away, and they mixed up ours. But hopefully this is improved by now.

To sum it up, for young travellers wanting more from their vacation than sleep, full recommandations. For people wanting silence, stay home. Or in the jungle.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends