“Great for stopovers”

The Crown Borneo Hotel
Ranked #71 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Our planned stay was to be just 12 hours, but due to late arrival of our Cebu Pacific flight from Manila, and being held on board for 40 minutes after landing, the actual stay was even shorter.
Having arranged the airport pick up for approx 12 midnight, it was 2 a.m. before we made it out to the van and very patient, friendly driver. (his comments about meeting Cebu Pacific flights were not complimentary).

On arrival we were given a 5 bed room on the 3rd floor, not an easy climb when you're over 70), but I am sure we would have been able to get a more convenient twin room if we had arrived at a more sensible time. As it was, the room was acceptable for such a short stay.
All in all, bearing in mind the cost, and the free airport transfer (except after 11 p.m.) I don't feel inclined to criticise this hotel in any way.

Recommended for a short stopover between flights.

Room Tip: Nolift so unless you are young and fit you may want to avoid the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vetus

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Having stayed at this budget hotel in Tanjung Aru no less than 4 times in the past, and have also arranged accomodations on at least 3 occassions for friends who were participating in the annual marathon in Kinabalu, this was probably the most bizzare experince I have had with a hotel anywhere thus far in the world.

-Staff do NOT check nor reply to email enquiries when asking for quotes. Customers are emailing them and giving them business but they have a 'can't be bothered' attitude towards checking and replying to emails in a reasonable period of time.

I had to call them TWICE to check if they had got my emails within the space of a month and on both occassions, I was given the same line of "we will check and contact you." And on both occassions, it was a no action situation.

Having got fed up for the third time, I called up again and finally got something done and someone to actually bother to reply with a quotation.

This is where things get worse.

-This hotel has 4/5 bed rooms for guests. They have ONE rate for the room to cater for 3 guests for a 4/5 bed room. Then they charge you by the person for more than 3 guests. I don't know how they came about calculating this or coming up with this formula but on one occassion, it was without breakfast. When I queried them again, I got a different set of 'rules' from a different member of staff.

-Having called them AGAIN (forth time), I spent 15 minutes on the phone getting absolutely confused as to how many rooms they actually had on the day I wanted to book rooms for my friends and also what the room configurations were. It was just so confusing and so badly organized that you just waste so much time dealing with the staff at this hotel.

I have not had bad experinces at this hotel in the past. Everything was straight forward and nicely organized. Emails were replied to. Bookings paid for and confirmed months in advance.

However, it is obvious the owner and senior staff are not overseeing the actions of the current staff handling bookings and emails.

I have no idea how this budget hotel thinks it can rip customers off by charging for 3 pax in a 4 or 5 bed room without even breakfast, and then charge extra for additional guests when the room I wanted to book was catered for 4/5 guests.

Avoid this hotel if you really can...Mega D'Aru next door is easier to deal with and without the hassles and stress. Alternatively, D'Chaya Hotel across the road which just opened is also easier to book and deal with.

How a hotel can shoot itself in the foot and then insult returning guests and expect it to be alright is beyond me.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The room looked perfect when we arrived at 1 am and was picked up by our driver, no hassle get on with business quick transfer to the hotel was what we needed that night.
The hotel was ok with our 5 bed room 308. It was a bargain, way bigger than we needed for our family and 2 toilets for express get to bed after a quick bath.
The breakfast was un rushed and all carte with 4 healthy choices.

With a travel desk, massage center, bakery and car rental all connected to the hotel- it's all round service provided.

We ended up getting a great deal on our rented cars and transport transfers.

Good for what you pay got. Great airport transfers, 5 mins from hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window if you have an extended stay.,big rooms are like giant dorm rooms with 5 be...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chow tien w
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

The room we checked in was only one rooms with 5 single bed. Actually the hotels must be prepared laundry bag for us so that easily to keep dirty clothes and more about it. Then not more choices for the breakfast... must be improve again....

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Common C
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We ha e just checked in and instead of giving us 2 rooms (a couple and a shared) as booked and PAID FOR we have been given a 5-person shared room. No mention of a partial refund or any apologies, they even acted like they were doing us a favour. A hotel that can't keep a PAID reservation is no good to me.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 23 November 2013

PERFECT for our late arrival into Kota Kinabalu. Basic accommodations, right by the airport, airport pickup and even breakfast included! Plus -- really inexpensive.

The hotel van met us at the gate as promised at just after 11PM: my name on a sign, easy to find and friendly. We were taken directly to the hotel. Hotel facade was very clean, bright and modern. The area around the hotel was pretty worn down and not at all scenic. Fine for a quick over night to/from the airport -- not longer term.

Clerk at the desk was very accommodating and check in was dead easy. Our room was on the 3rd floor -- no elevator so luggage was a pain: but the van driver helped and that was much appreciated.

Room was more like a dormitory: included 4 beds (all hard but) with clean sheets, a pillow and quilt. There were also a bunch of free waters, coffee/tea set up and a small fridge. Allll good. There were 2 baths: one at each end of the room. Again: clean but very basic. No amenities (we had our own). There was also a large screen TV mounted on the wall which had a couple English movie channels (we feel asleep to the original Hunger Games ).

When we entered to room, it was STIFLING hot, but the AC turned on quickly and cooled things off. The shower never got past sort-of warm. So essentially, cold showers.

Breakfast was a nice surprise: there was a small menu and everything was freshly made and quite tasty.

We left the next morning for our much more expensive hotel to start the holiday. The hotel arranged transportation for us which we discovered later was rather overpriced -- but still, not a big deal. Given everything else, that was not important -- but others be aware. :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kmcoyle
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I had to overnight on my way to Tawau from Singapore and stayed here for one night to be close to the airport. Nice clean room with a comfy bed, nice shower and good wifi. They picked me up at the airport as arranged by sending them an email request and returned me to the airport early in the morning. I made the booking on Agoda and the price was great. I recommend it highly if you need a transfer hotel in KK. Enjoy. :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo