“home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Bacolod, Philippines
“home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

I traveled solo since I needed a diversion away from work, it was just for 2 nights, might be a short one for some, but it was a momentous vacay for me.

I stayed at Crown Borneo Hotel – saw the website online and a few of my friends even mentioned it to me. I found the rate reasonable for a solo traveler and I took the Double Room (good for two – it’s perfectly compact for one but might be small for a couple). The Hotel offers free shuttle from and to the airport – a valuable advantage compared to the other hotels and especially to those who are new to Kota Kinabalu. Crown Borneo is just 5mins away from the airport and from the Tanjung Aru beach – you can practically go there by walking.

The room and is very clean and it plasma tv and wifi access. The bathroom has cold and hot shower.

If you plan to tour the city, trek Mt Kinabulu or enjoy snorkeling and diving the hotel can arrange it for you. They even offer city tour for only 100malaysian ringgit. I had my city tour trough them and was able to visit great spots including chinese temples.

The staffs are exceptionally great and accommodating. I think it is just proper for me to mention the manager – Mr Ricky Teo and some staffs – Emil and Lusy( I forgot the name of the others),since these people became my friends during my momentary stay. You can try asking for them if you decide to visit Kota Kinabalu.

The hotel might be small, but it is one place you would like to stay during your vacation. I am even planning to go back to Kota by Feb2011 and will definitely stay at Crown Borneo Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

Very nice hotel between international airport and city. I stayed there most of my time in Kota Kinabalu after my trips around Sabah. Not far from the city (you can walk if you are fit like me, or take the mini-shuttle that goes all the time (cheapest) and close to Tanjung Aru Beach with amazing sunsets (worldclass indeed!). The room are small but very nice decorated, clean and have good showers. Outside the hotel you have a lot of stores and local restaurangs, even a KFC if you like that kind of food. Try the Seafood Nasi Goreng next to the hotel for only 6ringit, so good! The staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful, especially the lovely Marly and the very funny Ricky, you are the best!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

My mother and I used this hotel as a base for our travels around Borneo; It is very reasonably priced with clean en suite rooms and the most helpful staff you will find anywhere. It is not too far from the airport and the hotel offer free pick up and drop off to the airports (no matter how mant internal flights you end up taking when traveling around :)). Eddies croque monsieur is a most welcome sight after feasting on rice for 2 weeks away in the jungle! and we would definetly stay here next time we come back to Borneo.

• Stayed August 2010
Kyoto, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

You know if you're booking a place this cheap, it ain't gonna be deluxe. That said, despite the small rooms, Crown Borneo is not half bad. This is largely because the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. We stayed two non-consecutive nights, and they held our large bags for no charge, and had their shuttle take us from and to the airport 3 times. They also gave good advice on places to eat around the hotel. I'd highly recommend this place if you're looking for a hotel to serve as a base for further exploration.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
All Over
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

This is the email I sent to our hotel after our stay. I think this sums up our stay. I will say that aside from really hard beds (exceptionally hard, even by Asian standards) the room itself was fine. However, they intentionally scammed us on our taxi and because of this, I won't ever stay there again.

"I just wanted to let you know that our stay at your hotel was horrible and we won't stay there again. This morning I asked the front desk to call a taxi us a taxi to take us to the 1Borneo Mall. Within about 5 minutes a taxi arrived. We put our bags in and the taxi started to drive off. We asked the driver to start the meter and he refused stating that he can't do meter because of the "commission" he pays the hotel to direct customers to his taxi. We told him to let us out of the car and he said he would take us back to the hotel (we were a couple minutes down the street by this time as we argued with him). He proceeded to be very rude and angry, calling us "crazy people" saying that taxi's in KK don't use "meters". Well, this isn't our first trip to Malaysia and I know very well that meters are used. When we got back to your hotel the lady at the front desk was angry with us too telling us that normal fare with a meter to 1Borneo is 40 and that they were doing us a favor by charging us a 35 flat rate and that taxi's don't use meter..sure (do we just look stupid???). What a bunch of liars. Anyways the taxi driver refused to open the trunk to let my bag out unless we paid him 10 MYR (the hotel staff did nothing to help us but stand there and watch). We proceeded to walk around the corner to find plenty of taxi's willing to take us to 1Borneo by meter. Final cost, $25.50 MYR. Again, I would never stay at your hotel again as you do not look out for the best interests of your guests. This is despicable behavior. "

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank zedsun

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Berkeley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

We looked for a hotel not far away from KK airport since we just had to stay there overnight (came in late from Singapore and travelled to Sandakan next morning).
The hotel staff as well as the manager were extremely friendly: they picked us up from the airport (even though our flight was delayed and they had to wait for 45min) and brought us to the airport at 6am the next morning.
We needed a hair dryer and got one.
We had good continental breakfast.
The hotel was very clean.
It is situated about 3min drive from Terminal 2 (airAsia).

Do not get me wrong: It is a simple, but clean and very friendly hotel for 1 night. If you look for something more luxury, go to Sutera Harbour Lodge.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family