“Hard and Fast”

Ranked #70 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Auckland
“Hard and Fast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2010

As soon as we walked into the hotel the staff are very polite and will respond to any questions or requests. Check-in was fast and staff assisted us and carried our bags into the room very promptly.

We are only staying here for 1 night and then we go to SIngapore, it is an ideal place to stop off as the hotel is only 5 minutues away from the airport.

Another plus is that the hotel offers free airport transfers which is very nice and saves you the hassle of finding your own way to and from the hotel.

I guess the 1 down side is the lack of food choice around this area, but saying so we are not staying at the Crown Borneo for the food. Furthermore, as the hotel is very close to the airport - there is the occasional buzzing of aeroplanes. So if your stay is short, there will be no issues staying here as it offers its advantages in proximity, comfort and cleanliness.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

I recently visited Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia. For anyone going there I would strongly recommend to you that you book in at the Crown. It is not a big hotel but it is very clean with good facilities. As I believe that the accommodation is a very important part of the holiday, you would not be disappointed. The other major point that it has in its favour are the staff. They are all extremely pleasant, helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

Apart from the size of the room and the noise of the airport (stop before mid-night). This hotel is prefect for all the traveler who need to transfer the flight from KK.

Advice them several days before the arrival date and they will arrange the pick up service for you (free of charge). It only takes 5 mins for the transportation thus it is the best choice if you have early flight next morning.

They also can mange to give you a simple breakfast ( only toast and cereals) at 5:45am!!!!!! I do not think any hotel (from my previous experience) can manage to do it.

Overall, this is a good hotel and price is very cheap compare to the service standard that they provide to you. Strong recommend this to all the traveler.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

Room:
Very very small.

Cleanliness:
There was sand on my bedsheets but they gave me a new one within 5 minutes so that was fine.

Food:
The soft drinks served at breakfast didn't taste good. In the end, I only drank water.

Service:
Special thanks to Mdm Grace who drove me to the church nearby early in the morning so that I could visit the church without getting lost there.

Staff are extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

We enjoyed our short stay, location is minutes from airport. Rooms are efficiently small and clean. Having glass walls for the bathroom is a neat idea to conserve space and keep it feeling open. Our biggest delight was the kindness and hospitality shown to us by Ricky. He went out of his way to take care of us. He is one of the biggest assets to Crown Borneo. Don't retire too quick Ricky! Also to mention that the public beach is a 10 min walk from the hotel where you can experience a clean beach and see the sunset.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SigningEverywhere
Bacolod, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

I traveled solo since I needed a diversion away from work, it was just for 2 nights, might be a short one for some, but it was a momentous vacay for me.

I stayed at Crown Borneo Hotel – saw the website online and a few of my friends even mentioned it to me. I found the rate reasonable for a solo traveler and I took the Double Room (good for two – it’s perfectly compact for one but might be small for a couple). The Hotel offers free shuttle from and to the airport – a valuable advantage compared to the other hotels and especially to those who are new to Kota Kinabalu. Crown Borneo is just 5mins away from the airport and from the Tanjung Aru beach – you can practically go there by walking.

The room and is very clean and it plasma tv and wifi access. The bathroom has cold and hot shower.

If you plan to tour the city, trek Mt Kinabulu or enjoy snorkeling and diving the hotel can arrange it for you. They even offer city tour for only 100malaysian ringgit. I had my city tour trough them and was able to visit great spots including chinese temples.

The staffs are exceptionally great and accommodating. I think it is just proper for me to mention the manager – Mr Ricky Teo and some staffs – Emil and Lusy( I forgot the name of the others),since these people became my friends during my momentary stay. You can try asking for them if you decide to visit Kota Kinabalu.

The hotel might be small, but it is one place you would like to stay during your vacation. I am even planning to go back to Kota by Feb2011 and will definitely stay at Crown Borneo Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

Very nice hotel between international airport and city. I stayed there most of my time in Kota Kinabalu after my trips around Sabah. Not far from the city (you can walk if you are fit like me, or take the mini-shuttle that goes all the time (cheapest) and close to Tanjung Aru Beach with amazing sunsets (worldclass indeed!). The room are small but very nice decorated, clean and have good showers. Outside the hotel you have a lot of stores and local restaurangs, even a KFC if you like that kind of food. Try the Seafood Nasi Goreng next to the hotel for only 6ringit, so good! The staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful, especially the lovely Marly and the very funny Ricky, you are the best!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo