“New Hotel”
Review of Gaya Centre Hotel

Gaya Centre Hotel
Ranked #24 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Pro:
- New, Clean
- location : not in busy area, sea view
- Room: free wired wifi, New, Clean

Cons:
- Room: Bad air circulation
- Service: Receptionist service need improvement

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Alfa82red

Reviewed 25 March 2011

This is my 4th time to visit KK - stayed in Magellan Resort every time but this time my friends want to stay in the city centre. This hotel is the one they picked. I stayed alone in a twin room, so it is spacious enough for me. Decoration is new and basic. The hotel is bright and looks very clean. It's quite close to the city centre - 20 mins to Warisan Square where you can catch a free shuttle bus to 1Borneo - claimed to be the biggest shopping complex. Walk to the seafood restaurant and local food area is also 20 mins which is OK. So the area is relatively less noisy.

Room rate is OK, around USD50 per night with breakfast. The restaurant is big and spacious with a nice patio overlooking the waterfront. Food for breakfast is good enough for me (I eat more-or-less the same stuff even in a 5-star hotel) but my friends commented that there were limited choice. Due to the proximity to the Jesselton Point, we did not book a package tour to visit the island. Instead, we just walked to the pier to buy the ferry ticket - charge depending on how many islands you want to visit. In general, the walk-in price with the tax is one third of the price charged by the travel agent (which also provides pick up service and BBQ lunch which we do not need).

Downside - (1) wifi only at the lobby and restaurant but not in the room (two desk top computers at the lobby); (2) not much choices on the food menu & (3) bugs in bed resulting in lots of bug bites at the end of the stay.

Overall - an OK hotel different from the resort type.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank aacc3829
Reviewed 15 March 2011

The hotel is very new. Location is excellent as it's smack in the middle of the town with a shopping mall very near it. Room and bathrooms were excellent since it's new and very clean. Good place for the price. My only gripe is that the staff might be a little new and therefore service level wasn't really there. They didn't have my online bookings, and they didn't even inform me that my ride to the airport was there until I had to ask them about 10 minutes later. And they can say "I didn't know that you wanted to go now". Duh even though I was sitting infront of them for almost half hour.

So, nice place to stay and don't expect high service standard

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 4 March 2011

My family felt very lucky to choose Gaya Centre Hotel. The hotel is quite new, so the room is clean with good shower, too. The room is also large, so it's comfortable for the three of us to stay in the room. I'm really appreciated the great help from the check-in desk. There was a gentleman who answered us a lot of questions regarding the visit in KK, helped us to book dinner in a restaurant, etc. That really helped us a lot! We think the service is excellent there.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Gaya Centre Hotel for several days. Although check in was 2:00pm we arrived at 7:00 am after an overnight flight and were given a room on the 11th floor straight away.
The room was quiet, clean with a comfortable bed. We had a fridge and safe, and a lovely view overlooking the islands, overall far better than we expected for a three star hotel. During our stay we found the staff extremely helpful.
The hotel is ideally located for shopping, restaurants, markets and the ferries to the islands.
There were two computers in the reception for guests to use at no charge.
Excellent value for money, would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Very newly opened judging by the "just renovated" smell in the corridors and lobby. The rooms are spacious, bed comfortable. Nothing outstanding about the room, nor anything super bad. Room had big windows so lots of natural light, which I really like! If in the deluxe rooms then you get an uninterrupted view of the sea and islands. Otherwise the superior is exactly the same room, but a view of the city. Safety deposit box in the room which is a plus.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for 5nights while travelling in Sabah, Found it very clean , staff very friendly and helpful and really good value for money. As its location is near the waterfront, we have a lovely sea view from our window, the room is spacious with good hot showers, kettle for making tea and coffee and even a safe too.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple