“OK hotel - with security issue”
Review of Gaya Centre Hotel

Gaya Centre Hotel
Ranked #25 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 6 May 2011

The location of the hotel is great if you want to be near the ferry terminal, just a short walk away. The room was OK - big, and reasonably clean, not overly worn - not great, but in the range of what you normally expect for the price charged.

But, our otherwise average experience at the hotel was overshadowed by a security issue. Sometime in the middle of the night, someone tried to come into our room! Fortunately we had the bar lock on the door, which made a long bang as someone attempted to enter (maybe 2am in the morning). Whether staff or someone else who somehow had a key to get in, scary that people walk into the room in the middle of the night while you are sleeping! We did advise the staff the next morning, who oddly did not seem particularly concerned.

We would not stay here again. In KK we also stayed in Eden 54 and Cititel Express, either of which are better options.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChitownGypsy

Reviewed 3 May 2011

My husband and I stayed Gaya Centre over 1 week on and off as we set this hotel as base of our Sabah trip. This hotel is situated on the edge of KK city centre. Close to Jesselton Jetty (gateaway to Tunku Abdul Marine park). Very new, clean and well accommodated. Reception guys are very helpful, WiFi at public areas and two free Internet computers. I recommend this hotel to anyone with low budged but still want to stay in a "hotel". There are taxis in front of hotel which is very handy to go to airport. (cost RM30)

Overall, this hotel didn't give me any budget hotel feeling despite their low price. They have spacious lobby, nice reception and even porters!
We will be back to this hotel certainly as we will be back to Borneo certainly as well!

Room Tip: Ask at the reception to get oceanview room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamuraiSyd
Reviewed 9 April 2011

My wife & I stayed here as a honeymoon couple for 5 nights. They upgraded us to a very lovely room. The room is a little bit small & a little bit over furnished for the size of the room, i.e., 2 large chairs & a corner round table. The hotel is newly refurbished from an office building to a hotel. The hotel & rooms are modern & very clean. There's coffee & tea facilities, no swimming pool though but have sweeping views of the sea. It's centrally located & walking distance to shops & markets & outdoor eating. The breakfast buffet mainly caters for Malay food but talking to the front office supervisor - Ms Marina Malagayo relating to our breakfast food problems, she spoke to the breakfast supervisor - Mr Ahmad Sukop. From then on, he greeted us & said whatever we want to be cooked, he will arrange. We favorably recommend this hotel as an excellent hotel.
We specifically came to Kota Kinabalu to see the orangutans. We found the Shangrila Resort with the orangutan sanctuary not value for money as there were only 2 small orangutans up the tree. We paid 300 ringgits or 100 Australian dollars for 2 people including entrance fees & minibus.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
36  Thank muddy39
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Pro:
- New, Clean
- location : not in busy area, sea view
- Room: free wired wifi, New, Clean

Cons:
- Room: Bad air circulation
- Service: Receptionist service need improvement

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Alfa82red
Reviewed 25 March 2011

This is my 4th time to visit KK - stayed in Magellan Resort every time but this time my friends want to stay in the city centre. This hotel is the one they picked. I stayed alone in a twin room, so it is spacious enough for me. Decoration is new and basic. The hotel is bright and looks very clean. It's quite close to the city centre - 20 mins to Warisan Square where you can catch a free shuttle bus to 1Borneo - claimed to be the biggest shopping complex. Walk to the seafood restaurant and local food area is also 20 mins which is OK. So the area is relatively less noisy.

Room rate is OK, around USD50 per night with breakfast. The restaurant is big and spacious with a nice patio overlooking the waterfront. Food for breakfast is good enough for me (I eat more-or-less the same stuff even in a 5-star hotel) but my friends commented that there were limited choice. Due to the proximity to the Jesselton Point, we did not book a package tour to visit the island. Instead, we just walked to the pier to buy the ferry ticket - charge depending on how many islands you want to visit. In general, the walk-in price with the tax is one third of the price charged by the travel agent (which also provides pick up service and BBQ lunch which we do not need).

Downside - (1) wifi only at the lobby and restaurant but not in the room (two desk top computers at the lobby); (2) not much choices on the food menu & (3) bugs in bed resulting in lots of bug bites at the end of the stay.

Overall - an OK hotel different from the resort type.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank aacc3829
Reviewed 15 March 2011

The hotel is very new. Location is excellent as it's smack in the middle of the town with a shopping mall very near it. Room and bathrooms were excellent since it's new and very clean. Good place for the price. My only gripe is that the staff might be a little new and therefore service level wasn't really there. They didn't have my online bookings, and they didn't even inform me that my ride to the airport was there until I had to ask them about 10 minutes later. And they can say "I didn't know that you wanted to go now". Duh even though I was sitting infront of them for almost half hour.

So, nice place to stay and don't expect high service standard

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 4 March 2011

My family felt very lucky to choose Gaya Centre Hotel. The hotel is quite new, so the room is clean with good shower, too. The room is also large, so it's comfortable for the three of us to stay in the room. I'm really appreciated the great help from the check-in desk. There was a gentleman who answered us a lot of questions regarding the visit in KK, helped us to book dinner in a restaurant, etc. That really helped us a lot! We think the service is excellent there.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family