“New, clean and friendly”
Review of Gaya Centre Hotel

Gaya Centre Hotel
Ranked #22 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My partner and I stayed 3 nights at the Deluxe Room (note: standard rooms come with 2 single beds only and we wanted a queen bed) with sea view. We booked thru agoda and the check in was smooth and friendly. It was a low season in January 2011.

The room was clean and nicely furbished. It was not big but good enough for 2 persons with one cabin luggage each. The toilet is not bad, with a closed shower cubicle (which is good, to prevent the water from wetting other part of the bathroom). Bathroom amenities were provided. Coffee making facilities were good and we had 2 bottle of complimentary drinking water for each day. The housekeeping was good, we left RM2 tip for each cleaning and the staff left a thank you note on our bed.

The breakfast (included) was not bad, though no buffet as there were very few of us only. It consisted of 2 toasts, 2 eggs cooked to your preference, butter, jam, sausages, baked beans, coffee/tea, fruit juice OR a set of sandwich with coffee/tea and juice OR a local dish with the drinks. I don't really like buffet breakfast so was fine with the sets offered. The last day of our night, my partner did not want to wake up for the breakfast so I ate alone and asked the staff if I could take away another set for my partner. At first they were a little reluctant but agreed to my request after I said that my partner was sick. So they packed his breakfast in some containers and helped me to send them to my room. The staff was friendly in general but nobody was outstanding to worth mentioning here.

The location was not bad, end of the road in the city, about 5-10 mins walk to the heart of the city; to the famous waterfront where you can get very beautiful sunset from sitting at the many restaurants / pubs there. Next to the waterfront is the famous night market selling the fresh and cheap seafood. Not dirt cheap but surely cheaper than KL and fresher. Simply point what you want and ask the seller how much. The seafood are huge and I normally ask for lower price and they normally oblige.

There are 2 malls besides this hotel; Suria Sabah and Wisma Mederka which are 1 min walk away. My partner and I watched movie at GSC, Suria Sabah every night as we did not want to party in KK so the only other thing we could do after dinner was to watch a movie. Suria Sabah was very new at that time, it was half occupied only. We ate once at The Chicken Rice Shop there and it was horrible! The food was cold and the service was very bad! They even charged me extra for a drumstick chicken which was not given to me! Anyway, I made a formal complaint on their website and the person in charge from its HQ called me the next day and apologised profusely. She even offered to meet us at any of its outlets to apologise in person and to treat us a meal. I thanked her but we did not take her offer.

The hotel has limited facilities, no pool for sure. The room does come with safe box which is a plus point and also free internet connection (not wifi though). Overall, we were happy with the hotel but decided to try other place for our next trip in July 2011 and so we booked 1City hotel in the heart of KK town (cheaper, like only RM100 per night for a kingbed room). The reviews about 1City have been good and I shall write about it after my stay.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor with seaview.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank meames

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Pros:
* Very friendly / accommodating staff.
* Nice restaurant. Classy and cozy. Not too many choices for breakfast but they sure had a variety for the 3 days we ate there. Also has a balcony that lets you enjoy a scenic view of the deep blue sea while having breakfast.
* FREE internet with their 2 available computers in the lobby. Also, free WiFi!
* Spacious room. Not really big but at least not as small as those in Hongkong or Singapore (2-3* budget hotels).
* Merely 20 minutes away from the airport (KKIA).
* Right at the back is Wisma Merdeka mall and a lot of tour operators. Or, as I read through other reviews, Jesselton Point jetty to neighbouring islands is just a very short distance away - where you can go on your own for probably half the price the tour agencies may charge.
* Suria Sabah in front of hotel. I just learned today though that it's also a mall. I would've visited it had I known while I was there. :(
* Check-in was quick and so was check-out. Each transaction didn't even take 4 minutes of my time. I was impressed particularly with check-out. I just handed the deposit slip (to be refunded of my RM100 security deposit given on check-in), and the adapter I borrowed and in one minute, I was told we're good to go.
* Online inquiry responses are also fast! They were actually able to confirm my booking through Agoda.com the same day I filled out their "Contact Us" form.
* Toiletries, towels provided. Also a work desk with office chair, phone, tea and coffee makers, a 32" LCD TV with satellite channels, small & empty fridge, spacious wardrobe, and in-room personal safe.
* A few blocks away from Filipino Market, KK Plaza.

Cons:
* Toiletries only included shampoo, lotion, and bath gel.
* I asked for a sea view room but none available. Maybe if I went for a suite or anything better than "standard", I would've had a better chance of getting what I want. =)
* There were stories of theft posted by other Tripadvisor members but so far, we never had this issue. Nevertheless, always keep your valuables safe and secured.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank zhielaleene
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Three girls, a tiny cosy room equals a whole lot of laughter. Gaya Centre pleasantly surprised us with their excellent customer service - better than even some 5-star hotels in KL. The rooms were extremely cosy and their shower is pretty nice too. They do charge for extra towels - but that's ok I guess. The breakfast is pretty nice and they have a nice cafe where you can dine al-fresco. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank christeen_dorai
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Arrival
Bellboy available round the clock and all of them that I've encountered with were always genuine and friendly. A rather rare sight even at luxury hotels. This is a major plus point of this property and hope the owner/manager can acknowledge this as an advantage point.

Reception
Quick and efficient on both check-in and check-out. Security deposit of RM100 was asked upon check-in and returned promptly during check-out. Courteous staff all over.

Room
I spotted a very good deal from online travel agent and thus for the price; I'm expecting to get the lowest room category: standard twin room (walk-in rate RM165 at the time I stayed there in July 2011).
There is nothing to shout about the room size; it's pretty small with 2 single beds. Another amenities including a lounge chair, writing chair and desk, 32-inch flat LCD TV, empty minibar, coffee/tea making facilities, luggage rack, spacious wardrobe with electronic safe (not laptop size), and individually controlled aircon. All standard rooms on my floor overlook the Wisma Merdeka office building behind the hotel.
Flooring was mixed between carpet (in bed area), and tile (in entrance foyer). However, the carpet was in soft pastel tone and can easily looked dirty without proper cleaning (which exactly happened on my room).

Bathroom
Bathroom comes with standing shower, toilet, and wash basin with two corner mirrors. Standard bathroom amenities (shower gel, shampoo, lotion and shower cap) was given, but there's nothing more. Water pressure is just perfect and very powerful at all times of the day.

Cleanliness
As I mentioned above; the carpet was rather looked dirty, hence not sure if the cleaning staff only vacuum it every time or had chance to rub and wash the carpet. Another cleanliness issue is in the bathroom: the cleaning staff care enough to let leftover soap bar and half-empty shower gel bottle inside the shower cubicle.

Location
For those who thinks Hyatt Regency is already far enough from Filipino market, then this hotel is still another block away. 10-min stroll to Gaya Street and 15-min walk to Le Meridien/Filipino market area. Across the hotel is a shopping mall: Suria Sabah which houses few famous names such as MetroJaya department store, times bookstore, mango, Padini concept store, GSC cinema, etc. However, the mall still looks pretty empty and has very few visitors. As others have pointed out, Jesselton Point jetty to neighbouring islands is just around the corner behind Suria Sabah.

Verdict
Location is a bit far if you want a walking distance accommodation to the markets and seafood restaurants. The hotel itself is pretty good and the service from the lobby staff is just excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the sea
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank cirque
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This hotel ultimate advantage: strategic location. Opposite is Suria Shopping Complex. Sea-view rooms will have a panoramic view of Pulau Gaya. Walking distance has the followings: Filipino market, Sunday market, many restaurants and bistros by the sea. Free in-room wired internet. Do not expect variety of restaurants in this hotel. Nonetheless, the coffee house has a balcony which faces the sea. The staff are more than happy to ensure the gigantic umbrella is erected if you do not wish to enjoy breakfast under hot sun. Behind this hotel is an Italian restaurant known as Little Italy. The food is excellent! 10 minutes walk from the hotel you will reach Warisan Square Shopping and Dining. You can take a shuttle bus just outside this complex to 1 Borneo, the largest shopping and entertainment mall in Sabah.

Room Tip: Go for Sea-View Room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank KelvinPg
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I stayed in deluxe room with seaview in Gaya Centre Hotel for 4 nights,the room was a bit small but enough for 2 persons.Great seaview,comfortable beds and good air conditioner make you feel really comfortable after a super hot day in kota kinabalu.We loved the location of hotel,you can found restaurant,shopping malls(our favourite is wisma merdeka!)and everything you need within a short walk.Good services provided by front desk and bell boy.The only problem we found was there were bad smell in toilet most of the time,maybe the drainage system needed to be improve.
We were very alert of our valuable things after reading some comments about the security issues here so nothing unhappy happened on us.
We did enjoyed our stay here and loved it!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank babeeee
Reviewed 14 June 2011

3 star hotel with affordable rate at center of the K.Kinabalu town.
Strategic location and nearby to all attraction place in town.
New and fresh look of room interior design with contemporary touch.
Very clean room and nice plasma tv with combination great lighting fitting effect.
Great services and helpful staff.
Well done Gaya Center Hotel