“Location and that's it”
Review of Gaya Centre Hotel

Gaya Centre Hotel
Ranked #25 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I had pretty high expectations after so many glowing reviews of the hotel when we were planning where to stay and booked the Gaya Centre hotel. The rooms looked decent in the pictures and the price was very affordable. Upon making room booking, I requested for a queen bed room and was told that they cannot guarantee it as it was based on availability. This was a little puzzling as it was a full prepayment and hence a confirmed room booking. Nevertheless, they said they would put in this request for me.

We arrived in the night at the hotel and was welcomed by their staff who would open the doors for you. At the front desk, I again repeated my request for a queen bed room which the staff acknolwedged and gave us our room key. We went up, flashed our key and opened the door to a twin bedded room. We immediately went back down with all our luggage to inform them that it was a twin bed instead of a queen. The front desk never apologised and just changed the room. This time it was a queen bed room but somehow there was the stench of drainage from the toilet. Sick of moving rooms once more, we just let it be and hoped for the stench to dissipate after time. That never happened and we endured the stinking toilet for 4 nights.

Wifi was only available in the lobby and is very slow. There was one night when we wanted to make a dinner reservation at a restaurant. My husband approached one female staff at the front desk for help and was told that they do not make reservations as they didn't have the restaurant number. Full stop. We then searched for the number on the ipad and went back to ask them to help with the reservation. The same female staff told him to go to our room to make this call ourselves. Unable to believe the response he got from the front desk, I went with him and addressed all 3 staff there just to make sure I understand correctly that this hotel does not help guests make restaurant reservations as a service and that I were to incur the cost of a call charge from my room to do it. One male staff who appeared to be the senior one was surprised that the female staff would have given such a response to us and graciously said they do assist with this and that I could call from my room too and there will be no charge as there is a problem with their system. So I asked, if there was no problem with the system, I would incur the charge then? He was unable to answer and quickly said, yes, we can make a reservation for you. This is the first time I have experienced a refusal to help from any hotel front desk.

Location wise, it is very close ( 10 min walk) to Jesselton Jetty which will be convenient for scuba divers. We also dived with Diverse Borneo which was right at the back of the hotel too. Suria Sabah shopping centre was terribly disappointing as I somehow had a replica of Suria KLCC in mind. They are both worlds apart. Shopping is dismal and food choices are few.The food court served really bad food and we could not eat the 3 different dishes we ordered. Food along Gaya Street was better. There are also many good ones along the waterfront and at Sedco Complex. It is also easy to walk to the markets from the hotel. The other shopping centre next to the hotel is Wisma Merdeka which was very similar to Lot 10 in KL.

Breakfast at the hotel was pretty good and as per most of the reviews, the view of the sea from the cafe is very nice. The western dishes of the breakfast stay the same every day. The asian dishes change daily. Breakfast was included in our room rate so it was pretty good value. Service at the G Cafe was great and their staff always smiled and were ready to help. If only the front desk took some lessons from them.

I will probably not stay at this hotel again and I do hope that my mediocre experience with them is a one off as it seems the other travellers seem to have it better than me!

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 1219 unless you don't mind the constant drainage stench.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Junita56

Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

We we upgraded to Junior Suite and the room comes with two double beds which is great for us with 2 young children.

We love the breakfast area especially the balcony area facing the islands and sea. Breakfast spread is good enough to start your day.

The only thing we don't like is the noise from the street. Since our room is located on 2nd floor and unfortunately on top of the hotel's entrace, so it is quite noisy. Anyway it is not that bad.

The plus point is the location of the hotel, shopping mall is just opposite the hotel where you can go for a movie or shop for your snacks beforw your short trip foe island hopping. The jetty is just walking distance. If you are there on sunday, don't forget to experience gaya street sunday market just across the road.

Food is never a problem...just walk a little bit you can find anything from local food, seafood and fast food.

The hotel look old from outside but the room is modern enough. No doubt the hotel can do more to make the hotel look modern and vibrant especially their lobby.

We have great time here in Kota Kinabalu and we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Hazidin
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

A quiet, spacious, economical room. All featured amenities are clean & in a good working condition. A large, room for a low cost.
Somewhat lackluster staff. Not the safest, friendliest, or cleanest- city in Asia; but potentially one of the best values.
A central business district hotel. A recently built edifice.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank xerophytic
Reviewed 28 September 2012

After a horrific experience checking in at the Rainforest Lodge...and us walking out upon sight of our room, we walked a few blocks and asked if this hotel had rooms available. We ended up sharing a room for three nightes on the 13th floor (out of 14) looking across the water to the islands and the view was spectacular. The rooms were pretty average, but the bathrooms were clean and the A/C worked well. The TV has limited stations if you don't speak Malay or Mandarin, but Discovery Asia was frequently airing Mythbusters so we were pleased.

Service was above par with helpful front desk staff and always cheerful doormen. I will mention I hurt my ankle one day and in order to receive ice I had to pay 5 ringgits+tip (room service was the only option for ice)...but perhaps free ice is not common in that part of the world and this was not a policy unique to the hotel? I can't really say.

The hotel was a short walk to the Jetty where the ferries depart for the islands and was across the street from a casual mall w/ a grocery store and a good deal of food options (ranging from sit down w/ internet to pizza hut). I believe there were movie theaters and karaoke bars in the mall as well. If you've booked tours (we did whitewater rafting - recommend!, probiscus monkey river cruise - ok, poring hot springs - skip it), the hotel is well known and easy for the drivers to find.

Breakfast was the biggest value-add of this particular hotel, although I can't remember the serving hours. We received vouchers for each morning upon check in. A large buffet including fruit, poached eggs, traditional western options, noodles, rice, fish balls, salad, dessert-like breads, porridge, soup, toast, and coffee/tea/juice were all availbe to eat in the dining room or out on the terrace. The terrace is a gorgeous setting to start your day, but you need to get there early to get a table.

Drawbacks include wifi only being available in the lobby...and being completely out on our final day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2012

what you get from this hotel is a seaview room, above average clean room and expected services and facilities from a city hotel. Next to the hotel is a newly opened shopping mall and you can easily spend half a day there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I recently stayed at the Gaya before and after climbing Mt Kinabalu. We arrived late and really only wanted a room to sleep and have a hot shower. That's what we got! We travelled with another couple and their room was very clean but had no wifi. We were 5 doors down, our shower was mouldy but had wifi. Staff were very helpful, organised taxis and looked after our extra luggage until we returned. Hotel was in a great location, walking distance to shops, jetty etc. Breakfast was ok, nothing amazing but did the job.
For the price we paid $45aud, we thought this hotel was good value. I would have marked it higher but for the mold in the shower. The shower pressure was fantastic by the way.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank insulbarb
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is a good hotel, more like a four star than the buget hotel it is. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the staff were very helpful. We thought it let itself down by the poor quality of the breakfasts, but they were catering for hundreds (or so it seemed), and it is mainly catering for those on a tight budget. But the hotel it is very well situated. It's literally just across the road from a large shopping mall, and there were many places to eat nearby. It was also near to the market and to the ferries which take you out to the islands. It's a good base for visiting KK, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple