“Great accomodation, breakfast, service and location”
Review of Gaya Centre Hotel

Gaya Centre Hotel
Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Melbourne, Australia
“Great accomodation, breakfast, service and location”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel was a real surprise. It was reasonably priced and the staff were terrific. We stayed here for 3 nights, climbed Mt Kinabalu, then stayed another night. On the last night they upgraded us to a princess suite on the top floor - amazing! The breakfast is a full buffet and really had everything you could possible want. Rooms are very clean, sheets crisp. The staff couldn't do enough for us and the doormen were so charming. The location was perfect, too. A 5 min walk to the jetty which leads to all the islands. There is a huge shopping centre just across the road with restaurants, movie theatre and shops. 5 mins to the night market in the other direction. Beautiful views of either the water or the mountains. Would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view - request sea view or mountain view, depending on your preference
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip to Sabah. It was arranged for us by our guide and our first impressions were not good: horrible high-rise concrete building. Our spirits rose when we went inside however though I have to say some of the furnishings looked a little "tired". On the first occasion we were given a free upgrade to a suite with an ocean view and the second time we were on the 10th floor looking out at the back. Both rooms were clean and spacious with a nice bathroom and good quality shower gel etc. There was an iron and ironing-board in the wardrobe and we had a small fridge and tea and coffee-making facilities hidden away in a cupboard! The bed was really comfy. There was aTV and free wifi.
The service at reception was good and there were several friendly porters around to assist with luggage,
There was a good gift shop with good prices.
Breakfast was interesting! There was a vast choice and I couldn't resist the jelly!!
The hotel is well situated being opposite the biggest shopping mall in KK - there are excellent money-changing facilities, cinemas, a supermarket, restaurants, fast-food places and, obviously, lots of shops which mostly stay open until 21h30.
It is interesting to walk along the waterfront with its markets and food stalls. Lovely sunsets too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seedyromPreston
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The hotel doesn't look much from the outside, but we had a really nice stay here. Rooms are a decent size (the ones with an ocean view are particularly good), staff are very friendly and the location is very central. The only qualm I had was that the breakfast food could have been of higher quality (but I am comparing it to 4 or 5 star hotels, which I don't think hotel claims to be). Good value for money!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed at Gaya recently for one night at the start of our Borneo trip. The reception staff were rude, had problems with their credit card machines that caused a lot of delay and wouldn't let us check-in a minute before 2pm.

We had booked two rooms. The rooms itself were ok but the bathroom smelt of urine/sewer. We changed the one room that was unbearable but the replacement was not that much better.

Overall, I don't think Gaya is worth the money. The location is good (next to the mall Suriah Sabah) but the service and rooms are sub-standard. After touring Sabah we returned to KK and stayed at Oceania hotel. I can only sing praises about Oceania. One of the best hotels we have stayed in Malaysia.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night after a late night arrival. I chose Gaya because of its location in the center of KK next to shopping malls, like Suria Sabah, and the waterfront. Restaurants are within walking distance. No problem with the location at all. Most hotel reception is a little moody past midnight but I was served by a pleasant lady. For a tired traveller, this is a welcome addition.

The hotel is a typical local hotel. Design of the hotel could be improved. The lobby is cluttered, a staircase blocks the way to the reception. The elevator is on the slow-ish side, but not as bad as the small hotels in Paris where it is quicker to walk up. The hallway to the rooms is carpeted, but sometimes I wish hotels in Malaysia, where the humidity is extreme, should go for something that's fresher. Carpets attract dust and dirt and can smell musty - which is the case with Gaya. Not a complain, I see this quite often in midrange hotels in Malaysia. The maintenance required to keep it clean must be very high.

The rooms are reasonable in size. It looked to me like it is on the smallish side, but I did get a sea view. The windows starts from the waist height, so there's no full length window. Room was clean, mattress firm and gives a good night without waking up with a bad back. Power sockets are mainly on the worktable, I'd prefer one that's by the bedside so I can charge my iDevices while I sleep. Then again its easy to push the side table out and use the plug meant for the side table lamp. However the choice is, light or charger.

No problem with the air conditioning. It seems to work, though it dries the air. I managed to set it to a temperature (about 24C) where it is comfortable enough not to require fiddling the controls.

The bathroom is average. It has tiles all over and some dirt along the grout, which is unescapable for tropical countries. So I guess it was a bad choice for bathroom if it is to appear clean. Shower works, and I didn't experience the bane of most hotels - inconsistent hot water. Then again, its possible - or recommended - to shower in cold water in KK. Especially after a hot day out.

There's the quintessential lifeblood of travellers: wifi... throughout the hotel. Using the same password. Get the WEP passcode from the reception. Since they don't attach room number to it, you could use multiple devices to it. However internet is slowwwww. I dont know if its Malaysia slow. Slow enough photos sometimes don't upload to iCloud for me. Fast enough for Whatsapp and iMessage texts.

Breakfast was included in the rate for me. There are seating outside as well, and has a view of the sea and the floating village. The selection for breakfast is ok, more attuned to the local taste - porridge, noodles, fried kuey teow, curry and the like. There's toasts and butter and coffee, sausages eggs, etc. But cooked the local way. Average. Nothing much to say.

Summary: Don't expect the Hyatt. Then again you're paying a third of the price of the Hyatt next door. Treat Gaya as a place to sleep and an inn and you will not be disappointed. Use the money you saved on a dive adventure (guess what, there are dive shops next to the hotel).

Location... a large shopping mall is next door. Suria Sabah has the usual shops and Starbuckses for those that are allergic to local food. But you're in Malaysia. Go eat local. Not far away is a pasta/pizza joint called Little Italy that's not too bad and has a good atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dufffader
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Located at the town of Kota Kinabalu, easy to explore the food and attractions nearby. Super friendly hotel staff and the room was clean and well equipped. Just a 5mins walk from hotel to Sunday morning market, which is a must to go if visit KK.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank siew teng l
Malaysia
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Price was very reasonable for a clean, comfortable room with buffet breakfast for 2. The room was also facing the sea and the location is superb. Toilet was clean and spacious, shower was good. Suria Sabah is directly opposite the hotel, Wisma Sabah and Wisma Merdeka is behind and all within walking distance. We paid RM10 per day for their VIP parking right infront of the hotel. Staffs and the bellboys were very friendly and helpful. Also, I forgotten about my iPad that I left in the hotel safe and only realized it hours later after checking out in the morning, the staffs were helpful and honest to return it back to me when I went back to look for it. Overall, I left this hotel with a very good impression and will definitely be staying here again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business