“Nice service, slightly outdated room”
Review of Gaya Centre Hotel

Gaya Centre Hotel
Ranked #24 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed for two nights in Gaya Centre Hotel. In general quite good with nice service team and food. It had a really good view from the balcony of the restaurant with almost 180 degree sea views. The only issue is it is hosting a travel group on the same floor. The sound proofing is not good enough when kids shouting in the corridor, especially in the night. The bathroom is slightly tired. Very convenient location to the water. Cost 15 MYR to the well known seafood restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. The team was so nice and gave us a sea view room. However, the window needed to be fixed and we were woken up every day at 5am with the noise of the city and boats. The door caused us also some trouble (the automatic system with magnetic card) as it was not always working. But still, the service and breakfast were good. The hotel is also very well located downtown Kota Kinabalu

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I spent a total of 3 nights at Gaya Centre Hotel and I am impressed with the service they provide. Immediately upon your arrival you'll be greeted by helpful bellboy and staff at the counter. I was putting up at level 11 and 12, facing the sea. Spectacular view of the island nearby. Breakfast is served till 10am in the morning, I would say the food quality is decent. On first impression I thought the hotel looked really dull and old. But the service quality made up for the exteriors and interiors it has. My table had special treatment from Manager Brian who offered us teh tarik and juices. (guess you gotta have a pretty face at the table for such treatment!). When my friend and I had to wake up at 5am to leave for a water rafting trip, the hotel provided us packed breakfast before we set off. (I thought that was quite nice).

There are shopping malls nearby, good hawkers as well as this awesome seafood area along the harbour. There is also a filipino market nearby too.

All in all, for the price I paid for the stay, I would say this place is worth a stay. I like it pretty much.

P.S there was a stale smell in my toilet in 1110. I previously stayed in 1210 and it was fine. Perhaps the sewage had a problem. Other than that all's good.

Room Tip: Sea view, they're bright and sunny and picture-worthy.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Gaya Centre is a good find in KK but I found it a "little tired" in its presentation and some features. The exterior could benefit from a minor 'face lift' as paint is peeling, run down looking gardent areas and not really welcoming. Interior is fine except for the carpets - need major renovation throughout the whole hotel - many areas, expecially the corridors are soiled, stained and torn.

I had a king panoramic room on the 13th floor - all good except found the bed a little hard and uncomfortable. Good ensuite with lots of hot water and good water pressure. Room had all normal facilities with free toiletries and slippers. It also had good bed linen and bath towels.

Even being on the 13th Floor, a lot of traffic and pedestrian noise could be heard. Caution: The hotel in directly under the flight path during some parts of the day.
If you want to park (why have a car in KK as taxi's are plentiful and fares are negotiated) there is parking at a fee.

G Lounge is a good, if pricy spot, to enjoy a cold drink or light meal at the end of a day's exploring.
Breakfast is or can be included in your room's tariff - I personally do not regard/rate the standard and variety highly but worth a look.

Staff on the whole are friendly and helpful.

Location is central and "not far" from most points of interest within the city proper.

Would I stay again - probably not.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlanJH1945
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Excellent service received during our stay at the hotel last weekend. My family and I felt very at home as the staff were really very hospitable. I would like to mention and name a couple of the star team members who have been extremely helpful, courteous and even at times doing things for us which was clearly beyond their call of duty. Mr. Brian Andy and his team. Not forgetting the excellent hospitality provided by the Ben and his singing partner - awesome people. The entire team at Gaya Center, keep up the great work.

Looking forward to my next stay at Gaya Center and have highly recommended this hotel to family and friends.It’s been a great stay. The level of service we had received was just impeccable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel has an excellent location. The room was fairly clean ,toilet and bath was not up to the mark. Carpet was rather soiled. Having said that is still value for money and short stays. Comfortable beds,good linen, great air conditioning. Very nice breakfast spread in a room with a view of the sea. Probably the best morning view in KK. Enjoyable sitting out on the sit out area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dadi_bhote
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights. Overally, the room is clean and perfectly located--at most 10 minutes walk from the Jesselton Point, Gaya Street and the sea side. You could enjoy a beautiful sea view when having your breakfast. The staff here are friendly and warm. Perfect economical hotel in KK.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends