“Good food, average price”
Review of Ocean Seafood Village - CLOSED

Ocean Seafood Village
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2014

There were 4 of us and we ordered a plate of local vegetable (not sure what it's called, the captain said it's only available in Kota Kinabalu), crabs, special beancurd (mixed with seafood I believe), butter prawn and a grouper (七星斑) of around 1kg. All seafood was still alive before being cooked. Total cost was RM400+ (including tax) for 4 people.

I would recommend this restaurant to others should they travel to Kota Kinabalu. Unlike some reviews, it's actually not too expensive when compared to other restaurants in that area (such as Welcome Seafood Restaurant), although they are still slightly cheaper but the dining environment aren't as good.

1  Thank BillyFCC
There are newer reviews for Ocean Seafood Village

Reviewed 24 June 2014

There's a couple of seafood restaurant in KK and of the two famous ones, I prefer Ocean. I visited once in 2013, and most recently in June 2014. The second time round I had the chance to choose the fresh seafood for 20 people. An usher brings you in and once you want to order or is ready to order - the usher will bring you to the open live seafood section and choose your dishes. Price tags are tagged onto the fish tanks and you should ask for the prices, and have them weight the fishes when you pick them.

On the final menu was steam parrot fish(sou mei), white clams, tiger prawns, Sabah vegetable, baby cabbage, nam yee chicken, coconut pudding, delicious thirst-quenching lime juice with sour kanna, and of course white flower crabs. Food is served quite fast. The final bill came to around RGT2600.00 for 20 pax.

Overall, the food is good, and they try hard with service. Nam yee chicken was a bit dry.

But there were just too many staff running around. I think they could improve the ambience and really give the very energetic staff some training. We had different staff serving us different dishes. The restaurant business picks up later in the evening and many tour groups.

1  Thank 8nlssy
Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you like eating, you must try Ocean Seafod Village. I had both lunch and dinner at Ocean Seafood Village for this trip.

In Sabah, you must try fresh tiger prawn which is only available in Sabah. We had big tiger prawn cooked with 奶油. Its meat is 彈牙爽口 that means it is reli very fresh. The sauce is very creamy and tasty. We had tried tiger prawn in Twin Sky, Kim Boo and Hua Hing respectively. Both my honey and me do like Ocean Seafood Village the most. It is 60RM per prawn. They are all very big and the staff chose a extra big for us when we came again in the next day ^V^ .

I had Live Abalone cooked with spicy sauce, the abalone is very 爽. And the source is very tasty, a little bit sour and a little bit spicy, very yummy. Indeed I don't like Abalone very much but like this dish very much. This dish is recommended by their boss. It is a must try item.

The shell cooked with 薑蔥 is very tasty too. At the first beginning they introduced it to me, I don't want to try as we can eat in Hong Kong. But I trusted their recommendation and tried it, it's not really the same. Its shell's texture is a little bit different. I can't say how different it is, but what I know is very very tasty.

Streamed Flower crab with egg ~ the crab is very fresh and sweet, the egg is full of the good smell of wine. Good.

Durian M. Shake ~ If u like Durian, don't miss it.

I found the previous review saying they are 小器 and every item ask for money. Indeed, I think it is very fair and reasonable. They charge for wet towel (RM0.6@), chinese tea (RM8 per pot). If u don't want it or u feel uncomfortable about it, just tell them u don't want. It's not compulsory. Just like us, we reject the peanut which we reli would not eat. No money is counted for peanut then, fair enough.

We are happy with the food, service and the price in Ocean Seafood Village. We reli will come back again when we next visit Sabah.

3  Thank eat-eat-play-play
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Choose your seafood, order your veggies, rice, etc n indulge in a fresh sumptious meal. Perfect for the whole family...

1  Thank mmdarsot
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Much choice of life seafood but they do not have menu which the waiter will suggest what cooking is good for your seafood once your have selected from the seafood aquarium. Service is fast.Downside is the price is quite high compare to other seafood restaurant. Food taste is acceptable.