“Nice day trip but some old/run down equipment”
Review of Diverse Borneo

Diverse Borneo
Book In Advance
US$62.00*
Snorkeling Day Trip with Coral Flyer Zipline in Kota Kinabalu
US$85.00*
and up
PADI Discover Scuba Diving at Tunku Abdul Rahman Park in Kota Kinabalu with No...
US$280.00*
3-Day PADI Open Water Diver Course in Kota Kinabalu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Diverse Borneo is a PADI 5star instructor development center operating in the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park off Kota Kinabalu. We specialize in scuba diving activities, teach PADI scuba diving courses, snorkeling, nature tours, mountain climbing and specialized personal trips all over Sabah. Whilst underwater we adhere strictly to PADI world global scuba diving standards whilst maintaining a very high level of safety with small group ratio’s and full serviced safety equipment on board the best dive boats with all the dive team trained in CPR and basic first aid to ensure your safety. Diverse Borneo’s dive team provides a wealth of experience with the best trained instructors in the city that delivers the PADI education to a consistent level above the rest. Above water we provide fully serviced vans with guides that offer tours to all of Sabah’s eco-tourism hot spots such as Mt Kinabalu, Poring Hot Springs, Cultural Village, River Cruises, Tip of Borneo and Sepilok amongst many others. Our aim is to provide top quality diving and tours for affordable prices.
Montreal, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice day trip but some old/run down equipment”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We went on a day trip (3 dives) to Tunku Abdul Raman Park with them. Booking process was very easy (show up at the dive shop or call on mobile). If you pay directly at the jetty, it's important to know that it's cash only. The equipment fitting process and registration was swift and well run. They give us a big water bottle for the day and we had lunch on the island, there weren't any snacks on the boat so it's something that you could bring if you get hungry a lot while diving. I was disappointed with my equipment. A lot of small leaks (from the BCD, from the pressure gauge, from the regulator); the air/pressure gauge displayed 150 bar initially and when I told the dive master, he just slammed the gauge and pouf !, it was back at 220...!!! On the first dive I swam very close to my buddy in case I'd run out of air and the gauge wouldn't show it !!! Also, the depth gauge wasn't working. So my equipment was pretty crappy (and problems that you can't really appreciate until you're in the water) but my boyfriend's was fine. The dives were fine, not very complicated. The dive master was really good at pointing out small and very interesting things. All the personnel was very relaxed and helpful. Overall we had a nice day but some of the equipment would need to be changed.

1 Thank n0ah73
hedger9uk, Owner at Diverse Borneo, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hi n0ah73

Thanks for your kind review of our diving operation at Kota Kinabalu about the ins and outs. As most of our clients feel we are pretty good, more like excellent and that's why we are at this moment listed as the No1 activity in Kota Kinabalu.

I would like to express my concern at the diving equipment related problems from you. No one else has complained of our dive equipments and many has said its great. Now we only use MARES scuba diving equipment (Italian brand) and we are the official MARES service centre in sabah. We also have two (2) fully certified MARES technicians, both are full time staff but one is fully on the maintenance side of things whilst the other is diving more regularly. Our workshop is actually located in our office, we have a room which is where we do the equipment repairs. We have a full setup and can repair all of our dive gear when it needs it. We have a system in place amongst our dive team, each piece of equipment is numbered, if there's a problem the dive time inform the technician and immediately it is serviced that day or the following day. I have over 50 sets of regulators and BCD's so there is plenty of equipment.

I personally feel that with another person diving with the leaking equipment it would have been another case. For me i would instantly asked the dive team to change the equipment and demand that i am not diving with that equipment. We provide all the divers the gear and get them to try it on and makes sure it fits, we then insist on the divers setting up there own gear and ensuring it is fit for use, If you never noticed until you were in the water, then you should have asked your divemaster to change the equipment for you, after all you signed the PADI standard safe diving practices statement of understanding if you did read its listed no3. Use complete, well-maintained, reliable equipment with which I am familiar; and inspect it for correct fit and function prior to each dive.

Divemasters hitting gauges and instantly fixing them - i don't think they are magicians except for Tommy the instructor but again, another diver would have asked to change the dive equipment.

Please inspect your dive gear thoroughly on your next diving holiday.

Mark Hedger
Managing Director of Diverse Borneo

Fish are friends, not food!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Awesome crew and great dives!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we were only able to get out for one days diving with these guys... But from that one day we have a heap of good memories. Our guides were Casey, Flody and Don if I recall correctly. The boat drivers James and Randy were also a great laugh.

The dives were real nice and easy and they catered to everyone's experience levels... And very easy access from KK!

Thanks again guys, and hopefully we will be able to come back out for a dive with you soon.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Jeremy D
Frankfurt, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very good Diving Center”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We dived 4 days with DB and liked it a lot. Mark (owner) is really nice and you can contact him any time.

The instructors Flody and Casey are really friendly and we had a lot of good dives with them. You feel save and they know the best dive sides in KK!

It is a good decision to dive with BD!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lk198
Hong Kong, China
“Great prices, excellent instructors, guides, and crew - OW + Fun Dives”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Did my PADI Open Water certification with Diverse Borneo. Very knowledgeable and professional crew members. Great prices for the course and fun dives. Thank you again to my instructor Oliver for your patience and practicing skills with me to ensure my future dives will always be fun and safe. And thanks Jason and Lily for taking videos for me :)

Visited June 2014
Ipoh, Malaysia
“Top Dive Centre!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Responsible & friendly crew and they made you feel comfortable and relax even if you are first timer with Diverse Borneo! They offer good price for fun dives and also dive classes! Highly recommended!

Visited June 2014