“Definitely a place to call home!”
Review of El Centro

El Centro
Ranked #4 of 652 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Price range: US$3 - US$7
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: El Centro is located in the middle of Kota Kinabalu's central business district near hotels and shopping centers.El Centro serves a variety of healthy and delicious food options from tacos to wraps, salads, burgers and local Malaysian favourites.The open concept restaurant has a friendly, laid-back atmosphere that hosts a number of specialty nights like--pub quiz, jazz night, salsa lessons, them parties and art openings/exhibits. Open form 5pm - 12am for food and drinks. From the bar you can order beer or one of Katie's Killer Cocktails.
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had read about El Centro as Lonely Planet's top pick and after walking past to investigate I was so glad that I called by and can see why they get the recommendation!

The bar staff (Georgie and Josh) were most attentive and welcoming, not only offering a great bar service but giving good advice on what else to do whilst in KK and the region. Beyond that though, El Centro quickly became a place to call home during my brief stay in KK.

There is always a friendly conversation to be had no matter how busy the bar and I am most grateful for the hospitality they showed me!

Definitely go visit!!

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Went there tonite and left with quite a disappointment. The atmoshere was relaxing with good music and cosy seating that include stools. Staff was attentive and courteous.

But I didnt like the food. The hummus lacked flavour and not creamy enough. The pita bread that come with it was a little tough. Whoever made this certainly didnt know how to make it. Pizza was also not that good. Thought of ordering coffee but was afraid that it could also turn out to be bad.

Price was ok I guess. Spent rm50 for two persons.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Was immediately attracted to El Centro because it looked like a cozy, backpackers cafe. That is pretty much what it was. It was a welcome change after weeks in Borneo to order a pizza and falafel that tasted great. Had a great evening eating and drinking beers into the wee hours. We always felt welcome and it was like visiting friends. Service and food was awesome.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I hitched a lift with the italian chef who is currently working here & he told me he was making his own cheese for the pizzas, so my friend and I decided we needed to visit! the beer was cheap, and the food was really good. we got the hummus which was homemade and tasty & we ordered a pizza. it was really gooooood! def recommend if you need a break from rice and noodles.

healey32, Owner at El Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review and for taking time out of your vacation to visit our cafe. We have been very lucky to have a volunteer Italian friend to show us how to make cheese and pizza--all of us at El Centro have benefited incredibly--and now I can honestly say that our local Chefs make amazing Italian food! Please come and visit us anytime you are back in KK!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Fantastic prices, great range for all taste buds, qaint, fun, atmospheric, very friendly staff and owner, makes you feel like a special guest!
Its very popular and you can see why! the food rules and its an awsome, social restaurant with cool tunes and great for groups, friends or couples!
If your in KK, you gota try here, you'll love it!! -out!

healey32, Owner at El Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Wow! Thanks for such a great review of our cafe! We really try hard to make the cafe a fun, welcoming and vibrant place and we are thrilled that you felt that way. Please come back and visit us anytime!