“Disappointed”

Flames
Price range: US$10 - US$150
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Flames Steak Restaurant opens daily, and is Kota Kinabalu's only international steak restaurant that caters to fine diners during lunch and dinner from 12pm - 2.30pm and 6.30pm - 10pm. Flames' sophisticated concept of casual, stylish crafts a great quality of food, showcasing the chef's signature steaks, truly for the serious palates of Kota Kinabalu city's steak aficionados.
Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

To be fair- we stayed at the Le Meridien and had a nice experience the first set of dates and a terrible one after we returned from an excursion.

We went to Flames on NYE for their set 5 course dinner. We let our daughter get the set too for the first time. The cost was 250++MYR/person.

3 of our daughters courses arrived a full 10 minutes before ours- she wasn't comfortable eating without us so it just sat.

The poached chicken appetizer was still very pink and tasted like what I would imagine raw chicken would taste like. Everything else was ok until the main course- which arrived cold. The stuffed zucchini was appallingly bad. The steak tasted ok- but was cold.

There was another family with children that arrived after us- they had eaten their entire meal, settled the bill and were gone before our daughter for her dessert- ours following 10 minutes later. It took nearly 3 hours for our meal- our son did not manage very well while we waited roughly 15-30 minutes between courses.

Flames is overpriced- guessing that has to do with being in an expensive hotel- they were seriously understaffed for a very busy NYE, the food was mediocre at best and the F&B manager really doesn't seem to care if you give him business or not.

Our bill was over $400.00usd with food and drinks.

I'm sure they get it right sometimes- it was a very busy night- and I'm already a bit jaded by our poor experience with the hotel. Just so disappointing to spend so much for NYE dinner and walk away feeling completely dissatisfied.

1  Thank OregonianExpats

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We had high hopes for Flames. The steak arrived stone cold after an 1 hour 25 minute wait. The request for plain baked potato fell on deaf ears as the dish arrived covered in sour cream, onion and chives. Service was very disappointing and we ended up serving ourselves. Clearly not a good night fro the restaurant. The manager gave many of the tables large discounts, us included. Honestly, it's not about the discount we were looking forward to a really nice Saturday evening in Kota Kinabalu.

2  Thank MarkymarkandAndy
Reviewed 18 August 2012

The complimentary bread served was normal but the dipping or spread was great. I love the tuna spread for it was very moistened and fresh; I like the butter spread as well.

I tried the fish head consommé with prawn tortellini. It was not really consommé as per say due to the generous amount of fat floating on the soup. The prawn tortellini had slightly thick skin but prawn was fresh. The fish head was very tender. The soup tasted great but perhaps not a consommé.

Boyfriend and I shared 220g Black Angus Ribeye with caramel balsamic shallot juice, cooked medium rare. It was super lovely; it presented almost no resistance but firm enough to hold itself together; so tender and so juicy that almost no sauce is needed but the sauce was igniting what it has got to offer.

We ordered seared portobello and garlic mash potato to go with our steak. The portobello was very juicy and flavorful but a little too small. The mash was lovely and couldn't go wrong.

Our dinner was lovely. However, when we wanted to pay our bill, instead of 50%, we were told that we were only entitled to 30% with SPG card. Bewildered but we paid it anyway because the food was good. Boyfriend cleverly asked for complimentary dessert from manager due to the misunderstanding and it took them more than 10 minutes to send us the chocolate coated strawberries which we suspected that it was taken from the buffet spread.

Too bad I did not get to enjoy the swimming steak in my tummy for long as I started puking at 10pm as I was about to sleep. I suspected it was the strawberries.

Actually we were right about the 50%. For SPG cardmember, you are entitled to 50% discount when dining in two in all SPG restaurants, including Flames. We managed to get full refund for it and had free dinner :D

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Had dinner here with our family. Service was ok but not excellent. My steak was fantastic but my husband's was just alright. The worst thing though was my daughter getting food poisoning from the juice (the only thing she had the entire day that wasn't shared with someone else). Sorry, can't recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

we hada fabulous experience at a fantastic restaurant. the meals were great and the setting was wonderful. the pricing was higher than some other restaurants but you get what you pay for. dinner and drinks for 5, two entree's, 5 main courses,sides and one dessert, beer and soft drinks, total price about $40 aussie dollars per head,

well worth it especially as a celebration dinner