“Nice hotel with friendly staff”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #10 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 8 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 night early nov 2012.

Rooms are good, not great.
We had a bathtub in the room itself seperated from the actual bathroom, kind of funny but nice, used it too.
Location is good, some shops and restaurants close by.

Staff is very friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We had a great stay at the horizon hotel. We only stayed in Kota Kinabalu for 2 nights but the unfortunate rain made us spend most of our time inside the hotel- although this would have been a different story if the hotel hadn't been nice! There are comfy chairs near reception that we sat using wi-fi. Our hotel room was great too, it exceeded my expectations, love the difference of having the bath separate from the bathroom. We both made use of the new spa in the hotel and we were treated like royalty in there! We booked a package to use the jacuzzi, steam, sauna and treatments; I had a body scrub and massage which was fantastic. The treatment room is so lovely! The buffet breakfast offers a wide variety of choice. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed at the Horizon hotel October 2012. The hotel and it's staff are wonderful. I used to travel extensively staying in 4 and 5 star hotels around the world with my work in the airline industry until retiring 5 years ago. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I couldn't fault anything during my 9 night stay. the staff were happy and very respectful. The breakfasts covered all that I wanted. My room was quite and very clean. The pool was perfectly adequate for swimming lengths and cooling off. You will not be disappointed if you choose to stay at this hotel

Peter S

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Great location of hotel. Great price.

Great facilities- spa pool gym, however there were only 3 chairs by the pool. Varied breakfast with a lot of choice and cakes in cafe. Bedroom was very large with a big bathroom etc.

Really enjoyed the spa and recommend the reflexology and traditional massage.

Had problems with our room-shower wasn't clean to start withw and there were mascara stains on the wall which could be wiped. Initially we asked for the room to be re cleaned. After returning to our room-you could tell the shower has been rinsed but not enough to remove the clog up of hair and the mascara stains still remained. I thought I would leave it but soon after I found stains on the bed which looked like blood.

I called reception 3 times after I was promised I'd be called back. I was met with some resistance to change room (I wasn't looking for an upgrade) and eventually had to resort to asking to speak to the duty manager. Again was met with some resistance and I asked her to come view the room. After seeing the bed sheets it was finally agreed to let us move room but the whole process left a real sour taste in my experience there.

Overall I would say - great facilities and great location. But it could be so so much better. There is so much wrong with the hotel and even though we actively used all the facilities in the hotel there was no compensation offered upon check out of the hotel. After I pushed, the duty manager only then offered to pay for our onward journey to our next hotel.

2  Thank Varcher7
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I was stay in Horizon KK for 2 nights with my partner
This hotel is just located in the center of the KK town. Go to Jetty is only 10 mins walking distance and pass by the Suria Sabah Shopping Complex. Behind the hotel have KK central market and handcraft market(Philipino Market).
From Airport Terminal 2 to Hotel is only 15 mins and cost rm20-30 (KK Sabah Taxi is Costly)
I check in the room with northern china sea view. King Size bed pamper me a comfy sleep.
Hotel Gym and swimming pool is located at 6th floor, gym room is very outstanding and complete.
Hotel staff is friendly still there are welcoming

Room Tip: Choose the room with the sea view. That is awesome
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We arrived in the middle of the night and received a friendly welcome. The strangest feature upon entering the hotel is a big plastic horse with a lamp shade on its head. We had asked for the highest floor with a sea view and got room 1111. Unfortunately the big post office block and a half burned out old building spoilt the view of some beautiful sunsets but it was still possible to watch the activities in the harbor. The size of the “deluxe” room was not too bad. It had a desk with a swivel chair and because we stayed for 14 days we had a second chair brought to the room. We also got extra coat hangers and a double plug. The staff was really helpful and our wishes were fulfilled immediately. The bed was very comfortable and a good mattress guaranteed good night’s sleep. We loved the location. Everything you need is nearby, the markets, shops and lots of eateries, yet you don’t hear any noise in the room. It also had a good size shower but there is a shelf missing over the sink. The make-up mirror didn’t help as the light was really bad. We were not too impressed with the service at breakfast. The hotel was very busy with travelers who only stayed a night or 2 nights. Therefore the seating at breakfast was sometimes limited and the staff often hardly found time to serve coffee or tea. The breakfast buffet was ok trying to satisfy European and Asian tastes but the hot dishes were always luke warm to cold. We didn’t make use of the good size pool or the gym. The space around the pool was very restricted. Only 3 lounge chairs were available. We tried both the Deco Café and the Asian and liked the food and atmosphere. The prices were reasonable but the tables were most uncomfortable because they had no leg room. The same goes for the benches in the Deco café. There is no way that you can sit on them comfortably for any length of time. Therefore we didn’t want to stay too long. All in all it is a good hotel and we wouldn’t hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: as high as possible, facing the sea
1  Thank dasreiseteam
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The walls were paper thin... we could hear the people in the next room when they were just doing things like rustling through plastic bags!! We were just lucky they didn't watch TV very often or get up for an early morning flight... (Sorry to our neighbours when we did have a 5am start!) Maybe not all the rooms are like this.. ours was one with a connecting door.
A couple of other minor snags... they would only provide us with one keycard for the room. They just didn't have enough cards. This was a pain because if one of us went out without the other we had to ask in the lobby every time we wanted to go up the lift (which needed a card swiped to work) and it was a pain when my husband was going cycling and I was going shopping and ofcourse the one of us without the key got back first.
Also wifi was only in the lobby, not in the room.
The staff in the lobby and in the breakfast restaurant were all so friendly and obliging but I just can't rate Horizon higher.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear Eve H ,

Thank you very much for posting your review about your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu, your feedback is always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly pass your kind words onto the team.

On behalf of the Horizon Hotel team, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards,