“Pleasantly great”

Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Petaling Jaya
“Pleasantly great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Decided to give this fairly new hotel a try after readinf reviews from TA and I must say it's pretty good. Room was great with a modern twist to it. Bed was comfortable and shower was good. There's a pool which is rather small. It's located near the courthouse and in the city centre. All in all it's another great option for travellers in KK.

• Stayed November 2012
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Donovan C,

Thank you for your review and comment.

We hope you have had a pleasant stay with us and please let us know in advance should you are visiting Kota Kinabalu again.

Regards,
Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during our roundtrip in Borneo 2012.

The hotel had a nice design and during our stay we experienced Chinese New Year at this hotel, which they celebrated with a whole parade! Really nice to see this whole show.

The roomd were great; nice design, big tv, clean and a nice bed.

The swimmingpool is really small, so don't expect too much of it. Around the swimmingpool are a few loungers but the hotel is big so you can understand that it's quickly too crowded here.

The breakfast was really good, although it felt a little hectic.

The city of KK is not too big, we did some shopping in the mall (don't remember that name) and ate at a nice Italian Restaurant (it was situated at a corner nearby the big mall).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear nora-amsterdam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review and recent experience at the Horizon Hotel Kota Kinabalu. Your feedback is always welcomed and helpful.

I am extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and in Sabah. Sabah is a unique destination with lots of hidden treasures and places of interest to explore.

On behalf of the Horizon Hotel Team, we all look forward to welcome you back with us again soon.

Regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Excellent hotel which has great value for its price. Stayed 3 days in the extremely spacious suite. As mentioned in other reviews, the room was clean, well laid out and nicely maintained aswell as extremely well equipped with everything you could need.

The decor is very tasteful throughout. We had a pleasant view of the town central from our room which looks even better at night.

Outdoor pool on the 6th floor provides a nice place to relax while the ajacent gym next door is well equpped with all the cardio equipment and weights you will need. Though I did not personally go, the ppa on the 5th floor was excellent according to my sister.

Breakfast has served with a good range of food which was regularly replenished. The prawn dimsum was especially good.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear brandonjohn,

Thank you for your positive comments and compliments and I trust you had a pleasant stay with us.

I hope that we will be able to look after you again sometime soon in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Just spent 4 nights at Horizon with my family... One of the nicest 'cheap' hotels I've ever stayed in...

We checked in in the middle of the night, but never-the-less, the service was great. Smiles and genuine friendliness from every member of staff.

The room (deluxe sea view) was clean, tidy, well laid out and nicely maintained. The shower was clean, the bath was spotless and the complimentary shower products felt nice and expensive... It was pretty dusty under the bed, but, what hotel in the price range isn't??

The buffet breakfast was good... Good range of food and regularly replenished... The manager of the buffet kindly bought some items to our table straight from the kitchen, as we just missed the last piece on the buffet itself... Fantastic!

The only complaint I have is that the pool is closed for renovation... It's especially annoying as I specifically booked this hotel, rather than some other similar ones, cause of the pool... I was a bit annoyed when I checked in and was told 'oh, by the way, the pool is closed'...

But, all in all, I'd certainly stay at Horizon again, loved it!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Malak_oz
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I returned to the Horizon Hotel in Kota Kinabalu and stayed 14 days this time. I wanted to take advantage of the spa and pool this time. The service was excellent as last time and my room was lovely. It included a small Japanese style dining table and a Japanese bath. The staff made me feel very welcome upon my retuen, which was lovely to see. The breakfast remained equally of a high standard and I must recommend the chinese restaurant on the ground floor. The food was very well presented and delicious! My stay was during the last two weeks of January and this time the weather was wonderful, so I thoroughly enjoyed my stay again. I will plan to visit again.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the ocean are lovely....
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Dear patrizia s,

George Town, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I have been travelling to KK on a regular basis and it is the first time that I stay at Horizon hotel (I normally stay at Sixty3, not far away on Gaya street). I chose to try Horizon for this trip because I got a good rate through AirAsia.com (RM252/night) which was similar to what Sixty3 now offers (their prices have considerably increased since their promotion period ended). I have to say that I was happily surprise by what I found: modern and relatively spacious room, clean with all the amenities that you could expect and a nice bathroom. But, above all, (free) in-room internet that works (quite rare in this city). Good job! I will come here from now on.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear pascal109,

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

The hotel is a architectural monstrosity, being a concrete eyesore in the middle of KK which is mainly low rise.It is also on noisy Jalan Pantai with heavy traffic most of the day.
Having said that the security is excellent. The rooms have double glazed windows so you dont hear the traffic , very nicely decorated with great bathrooms and free wi-fi.
Had a look at the spa which occupies a whole floor and this looked good if some pampering is required.
The pool is small but OK for a dip on a warm afternoon.
The breakfast buffet was average for most hotels in Asia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea above the 5th floor for a view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo