“Memorable stay at the Horizon”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The Horizon is definitely a comfortable, value for money hotel in one of the best locations for shopping and eating. We were upgraded to a Deluxe room with ocean views, and the room was spacious(after a tiny hotel room in Singapore), clean and one could see the beautiful sunsets over the water.The staff were so helpful and friendly. We were met by Zahli at the airport and he made us feel so welcome with his smile and friendly attitude, and that set the tone for a memorable first trip to Kota Kinabalu. The location of the hotel cannot be faulted - Sunday markets just opposite, restaurents catering for all tastes across the road and one or two blocks down, the fabulous seafood stalls on the ocean front(10 minutes away) where you could eat some of the the best and freshest seafood very cheaply. Large supermarket 5 minutes walk to the left of hotel. The breakfast was good and so was the food at the restaurents in the hotel, although it is much cheaper to eat in the shops close by.
We could not fault this hotel, and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff has made a lasting impression on our minds, and we will be back . We will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Kota Kinabalu.

Room Tip: Deluxe Room with seaview on high floor. Dont bother with the room spa, as it means you get a smaller...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear kay w,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the efficient and pleasant service from our team members. I will certainly pass your kind words onto the team.

Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I booked for 8 nights from the 15/4/13 till 22/4/13 at this hotel and this incident happened on the 6th nite.This is a letter that I wrote to the management of Horizon hotel.
At 10pm on 20/4/13 , I took the sarong provided by your hotel to use but my finger was suddenly pricked by something sharp.
After going thro the sarong with my wife ,we found a sewing needle attached to the inside of the sarong with a thread on.
I rang your duty manager of the incident.
My finger was bleeding and swollen as was witnessed by your duty manager Faizul who came up with an assistant and a first aid box 10 minutes later.
His assistant gave me the dressing and a plaster. Obviously the finger had been poked by the needle.
This incident should never have happened and your guest was subsequently injured in this incident which was ridiculous and absurd. I am concerned that the needle might be infected.
I am leaving KKinabalu on Tuesday for Kuching and Perth a week after.
I shall check for Hep C infection while in Australia and if infected, I will hold your hotel responsible for any consequences that may arise.
This is very very unsatisfactory and I expect your management to respond to this incident immediately.
This incident has made my stay very unpleasant and caused a lot of agony.
The internet speed in this hotel is poor. You can't even run Java here. if you are holding some shares, beware, you cannot trade.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Dear Mr Pui Kim Teck,

First of all thank you for staying 8 nights with us.

I do apologise for the accident and it was never our intention to cause our valued guests any pain or discomfort during their stay.

In this accident which happened on 20th April, 6th night of your stay, the Duty Manager Mr Faizul, immediately offered you to seek treatment at our panel doctor to which you declined.
On 21st April, Duty Manager Mr Faizul, again offered assistance to see our panel doctor which again was declined by you and mentioned that you will sue the hotel.

A letter of apology was given to you and advising you to see our panel doctor which you accepted 2 days after the accident. The panel doctor has given you a referral letter upon your request. On the day of your departure, 23rd April, Front Office Manager and I conveyed our sincere apology to you. We sincerely hope that no harm will come upon you.
With regards to the poor internet speed, you can contact the Front Desk or the Duty Manager who will attend to your needs immediately.

Thank you and Happy Holiday!

Philip D. Theseira

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with the ocean view room on the 11th floor. It had a breathtaking view from the room, managed to catch a glimpse of the sunset from the room. It is also strategically located; nearby the central market, filipino market, handicraft market, walking distance to the mall Suria Sabah.

The Sky Spa is wonderful. Went for their reflexology TWICE. Very nice, relaxing and its definitely worth the money. The staff are friendly and nice.

Will stay here again if I ever find myself in KK again.

Room Tip: Make sure to request for the highest floor if you're facing the sea.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Shammy17,

Thank you very much for posting your review about your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu, your feedback is always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will certainly pass your kind words onto the team.

On behalf of the Horizon Hotel team, we all look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed for one night when transiting Kota Kinabalu in March and opted to try the Horizon Hotel for a change of location in the center of KK. The Horizon Hotel is a new hotel and a much needed quality addition to the hotels in KK where it competes with five star Le Meridien and the Hyatt hotel at a much reduced price.

We stayed in the Ocean view room on the 11th floor and found the experience overall an enjoyable one. The rooms are modern, clean and well maintained though slightly on the small side in comparison to Le Meridien and the Hyatt though for a few days this is not a problem.

The Horizon is well located, it is a 10 minute walk to the Suria shopping centre (the second best shopping option in KK), a 15-20 minute drive to One Borneo (the premier shopping destination) and a 15 minute drive to the Airport. The Hotel has a range of dining and nightlife options nearby though the nightlife is much more reserved than in other nearby countries. It is a 10-15 minute walk from the Jesselton Point Jetty and the KK Waterfront with an array of dining options. Overall the location is very good.

A big bonus is the complimentary wireless internet in the rooms, make sure you ask Reception, as they don't always tell you the login and password on arrival.

This is a good Hotel to base yourself for a few days if exploring the islands off KK and/or preparing or recovering from a climb up Mt Kinabalu.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear EyesontheGlobe,

Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved my stay in kk at the Horizon Hotel. Breakfast buffet was lovely, service is excellent and the facilities are very good. Cleanliness of the rooms (dusty and in need of a good vacuum) was disappointing. Staff (like most people in kk) were very friendly. Above all else kk is safe and there are numerous wonderful cafes and restaurants nearby. It is a tourist haven! Make sure you book a tour so you can explore the numerous activities around Mount Kinabalu. I only spent 3 days there but had the time of my life. The tour guides make sure you're completely happy and will pick you up to and from the hotel. I love kk, Sabah... I will be going there again next year and will stay at the same hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear nosurrenda,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Your comments with regards to the cleanliness of the rooms are noted and will be looked into.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. The room is quite big for two people. For the price that one pays and being in the city, it certainly well worth the price! We got a room that was overlooking the ocean, a must request at check in! The rain showerhead and jacuzzi are fantastic! Breakfast buffet is included in the room for up to two people. The only negative comment that I have about breakfast was the fact that I came down at 4 different times and twice I saw flies hanging around the buffet area. I attributed it to the fact that the restaurant is located right at the lobby and being open and shut all the time. If you are into local food, there are plenty of local eateries nearby. One just have to venture outside.
Across from the hotel, every evening there are a couple of restaurants that serves great local chicken satay and beef satay (chicken or steak on the stick). The price is very reasonable. The hotel is also just a couple of blocks from Gaya Street Sunday market. It's held every Sunday from 7 until noon. Dress comfortable because it can get really crowded and soooooo hot!! We will be staying there again this Summer.

Room Tip: Request for a room overlooking the ocean at check in!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Letballhuh,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Your comment with regards during breakfast is noted and will be looked into.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

the hotel is located in the center of the city center... meaning that u can go everywhere in a walkable distance... we have booked the city view room... the room is spacious with modern deco... its breakfast may need much improvement in terms of its selection and taste...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ccherman1978

Dear ccherman1978,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Your comment with regards during breakfast is noted and will be looked into.