“Suprisingly stylish rooms”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

When you see the Horizon Hotel from the street, it does not look very stylish and the location at a big street normally let's you assume the it is loud.
But none of this holds true.
The rooms are big, stylish and have a modern interior with wooden elements.
The pool is big enough to refresh and swim a bit but when we were there, there were only 3 sunloungers - not enough for all people.
Breakfast is served at Cafe Deco, next to the hotel and is good.

• Stayed: June 2013
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Steffen K,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the excellent service from our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.

Hisham Abd Samad
Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Upon checking in, we were told our requested room was not available even though I called in two days ago before to confirm and they said its ready. So we had to stay for a night in a Deluxe Twin even though we booked for a Deluxe King.

Fortunately, the room was ready for us the next day and it was worth the wait. The room is exactly as I imagine it to be albeit a little smaller than I thought, but it was one of the nicest looking room I have seen in a hotel.

Our stay was delightful and the staff was very friendly throughout our stay. I would also like to point out one of the receptionist, Mirra, for being really helpful assisting us to change our room. Im sure it has been a stressful week with the holidays around the corner but she still manage to assist us with a smile so for that, thank you Mirra.

Overall, I would gladly stay in the hotel if I ever come back to KK.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Were here two weeks back. Excellent location. In hotel front, walk left for a couple of streets and you have a wide range of restaurants to choose from (Italian, Chinese, SE Asian, etc.). Around the Italia, "Sing Ji" Bak Ku Teh is famous. Around OCBC building, a corner "Fa Ji" Coffee Shop is well known for its pig trotters and local dishes. Behind the hotel, is a long overhead bridge, you can walk right to the seaside. The Filipino night market has a number of hawker selling wok-cooked food. The seafront freshed grilled seafood should be avoided as they are definitely not value for money. The jettison jetty is about 5 - 10 minutes walk. Clean and safe. We booked our 2-islands hopping snorkelling trip here, bargaining with a friendly Mr Rin, almost half price of what you can get from the hotel bookings, anyway the day tour agencies at hotel and airport also advised us to book directly at the jetty. The hotel has free WiFi almost everywhere we go, in the room, at the lobby, at the swimming pool. The swimming pool is clean and well maintained, has good view of the sea. The hotel breakfast is marvellous, collection of Asian, and Continental breakfast, fruits are a bit lacking though. Though the hotel has problem with the dripping aircon, at the hotel reception counter and in the Cafe. Why put the food below the aircon? The bathroom is neat and tidy, though water pressure is slightly weak (evident of water conservation). Non smoking room is really odourless, king-sized bed with very comfortable pillows, no creepy crawlies. No durian and no mangosteens allowed. You can only access to your room level via the room access card. Only one room access card is provided, rather inconvenient, if you and your wife both has to go restroom after breakfast, you can only go to the restroom in the lobby level and your wife settle her business in the dark ;-). You can book the KK Park day tour at the hotel, same price as outside, the lady EJay is very friendly and helpful. The view during the minibus trip is breathtaking. The canopy walk is definitely worth the try. TV selection in the room is limited, though Fox Premium Movie is available, lack of News channels like Bloomberg/BBC/CNBC/ChannelNewsAsia. Aircon in the room is rather cold, no clear instructions to how to change the settings. Definitely a good, safe, secure, and value-for-money choice for family and for business.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the sea facing side. If facing the sea, those rooms on the left have better views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesTan_470
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Loss 1 hour from actual check in time due to deluxe sea view king/qn bed size is not available.
They advc me on single twin bed.
Why I should take single twin?
I come wth my husband & has requested earlier in my booking
I have to wait at the lobby for 1hour..
Even though the rooms is upon availability but how come at 2oclock also the room is still not ready for customer? ?

1  Thank flizas
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear MWIlliams_13,

Thank you very much for posting your review on your recent stay with us.

Thank you for bringing to my attention on the Housekeeping staff that unintentionally removed your apples from your room. I do apologies and agree the Duty Manager could have handled it in a better manner and offered you a fruit basket as goodwill gesture.

On the request for a late checkout, we were unable to accommodate due to the peak season and the high turnover of rooms on that day. On any other normal day we would be happy to accommodate your request at no additional charge.

With the high occupancy, breakfast period is the busiest meal period of the day. All Chinaware, glassware and cutleries are checked prior to set up on tables for guests dining. With the high turnover of guests in and out of the breakfast room, the odd hair would have found its way accidently into your tea cup.

I apologise on the room with carpet stain as it maybe a recent one. We certainly will work on this matter. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Once again I offer my apology and we take all comments seriously and you can rest assure we will improve on our service and we hope to welcome you back again to Horizon Hotel.

Kind regards,

Mr. Philip D. Theseira

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I went to use the spa for a few times but certain facilities are malfunction such as the Jacuzzi, the toilet in the ladies changing room & the steam bath. Went again yesterday but it's not fixed yet. It's kinda inconvenient.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Was here last Dec 2012 after more than 10 yrs. The hotel is strategically located in the heart of KK. The waterfront and Kota Kinabalu Filipina market is walking distance. Shops, banks and eatery joints around a plenty. And the room deco is excellent...!!! Althought I only spend 1 night here, I will definately stay here again on m next visit ;-)

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea front
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

On check in we were told that we had a smoking room....which i didnt book. They appoligised and saud the only non smoking was a twin not a double but they did offerus a free upgrade to a delux room but was on the smoking floor....we took it. There is a faint smoke smell in the hall way but not in the room so was not an issue.

Room was excellent with a tube and greaf decor. Breakfast was great as was the pool. Friendly staff. Definatly stay there again

• Stayed: May 2013
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear fjp1981,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.