“Fantastic hotel”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #10 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This was my first time in KK and when I first arrived I was a little culture shocked, wasn't 100% what I was expecting, but the hotel was great.

When I first arrived, I think it was Anna I spoke too. She was very helpful, and got us an early check-in as we had been flying since midnight, and just wanted to rest. She did a great job of helping us and making us feel welcome.

Room service was great, we ordered most days because the food was great, and was so cheap for room service in a quality hotel.

Room was really nice, and spacious, comfortable bed, and nice decor. I would ask for a high floor to stay away from the noise. We requested both a high floor and early check in, and we got both, so very happy.

The location is great. Small walk to the main shopping centre and to Jessleton Point. From here you can catch a boat to one of the many islands for a great day of snorkelling, relaxing or fun.

The hotel is located right next the Sunday markets, so would recommend visiting them if you are there for a Sunday.

Overall, love the hotel. The pool is a little small, and no shade. But still loved this place and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to get away from the noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Convenient location, good sea view from a comfy room. But service was poor starting with rooms not ready for check-in. Housekeeping was also spotty - toiletries were not replenished, bins not cleared some days. The buffet breakfast has a wide (though pretty much same) selection but was very crowded and noisy such that you could not find a table. The reception staff were cold and not helpful but the cleaning staff and bellboys were much friendlier. Doors were also very noisy banging all night - a simple contraption would close doors slowly no? Touted as four star but I anticipate it will move down quite quickly if improvements are not done.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear morichan5800,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I am most concerned to note of your encounter and I truly regret the inconvenience and negative impression reflected.

Please accept my profound apologies as clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement particularly, our concierge and front desk service as well as the in room housekeeping standards as to ensure that there will not be a similar re occurrence on your future visits with us.

Your feedback with regards to the team's performance is noted.
More focus will be given to the team's skills and hospitality training hotel wide.

Your comment with regards to the food quality during breakfast is noted and will be looked into.

I fully understand the poor perception created, however I do hope you will visit the Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah again.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Kind regards,
Natalia Nadirah Saiman

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Spent our two final nights here in KK. Booked online with Agoda. Easy. Approx $90 per room. Great location and outlook. Staff helpful. We had a set menu included as part of the room rate for dinner. I never expect much from these, but we were really happy with the quality of the food in their Asia Restaurant. Really good silken bean curd dish. Clean flavours all round.

Breakfast was ok and fine for the price point (included in room rate).
Rooms clean and neat. Good rain shower head.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Planetflam
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I hope Horizon's GM Philip Theseira takes these online reviews seriously because hotels now make or break on them. You'll read that Horizon has a good location and facilities are adequate- that's accurate. I'm realistic about the price I pay but was disappointed at staff service. I said nothing about the blonde hair awaiting me in my teacup (I have dark hair), huge carpet stains, breakfast zoo etc etc but was let down that staff didn't go out of their way to help on the one or two things I asked about. This applied to senior staff,more so than juniors, which should concern Mr Theseira. One example - cleaning staff mistakenly removed my fruit (non odouress fruit, just apples ) and when I told the duty manager I got a shrug of shoulders, whereas professionalism would have meant at least an acknowledgement, and offer to locate the missing item or offer a plate of fruit from the kitchen. costs the hotel nothing (apart from staff initiative) but earns priceless goodwill. Also asked for two hours late checkout to suit late plane flight - but more shrugged shoulders and told it was RM$100. Despite the fact we good naturedly went off and came back at check in when my friend's room was not ready on time , but no favours returned on our departure. Translation: we have tour groups coming in and are at full occupancy - no need to offer individual guests well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MWilliams_13
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Sales & Marketing Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear MWIlliams_13,

Thank you very much for posting your review on your recent stay with us.

Thank you for bringing to my attention on the Housekeeping staff that unintentionally removed your apples from your room. I do apologies and agree the Duty Manager could have handled it in a better manner and offered you a fruit basket as goodwill gesture.

On the request for a late checkout, we were unable to accommodate due to the peak season and the high turnover of rooms on that day. On any other normal day we would be happy to accommodate your at no additional charge.

With the high occupancy, breakfast period is the busiest meal period of the day. All Chinaware, glassware and cutleries are checked prior to set up on tables for guests dining. With the high turnover of guests in and out of the breakfast room, the odd hair would have found its way accidently into your tea cup.

I apologise on the room with carpet stain as it maybe a recent one. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Once again I offer my apology and we take all comments seriously and you can rest assure we will improve on our service and we hope to welcome you back again to Horizon Hotel.

Kind regards,

Natalia Nadirah Saiman
Sales and Marketing Manager

For
Mr. Philip D. Theseira

Reviewed 12 July 2013

This the second time I stayed here. Front desk cancelled my reservation due to late check in. I have complaint on the spot because I have grantees my booking by my credit card, however the another front desk officer was decided to upgrade my room to junior suite as compensation. The room was clean with minibar table. Great see view especially in the morning time and sunset. Need to improve on the food quality in the café.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The location was fantastic. It was convenient to explore shopping area like centre point.We stayed other resorts after this hotel and used the resort's shuttle buses to the Centre point shopping centre and Sunday market but the traffic were so bad. It took 50minutes to get there on Friday night. Normally, it should take only 10minutes.So, if you want to explore the centre of Kota Kinabalu first, I strongly recommend this hotel. Then, you move to resorts.The room was clean and comfortable. The Asian restaurant is a fantastic. We enjoyed dim sums twice! Very delicious and reasonable.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We booked 2 deluxe rooms through Agoda at about RM300++. This hotel is located at the center of KK city. It is within walking distance to shopping centers and foods.

Despite good comment from forummers out there, We experienced issue during check-in, where one of the rooms we book was not able to check in on time and waited for almost 2 hrs before the housekeeping had done for the 2nd room. It had cause disturbance to my companions as they were exhausted from long travel and seriously in need to get a room to rest.

The deluxe room design is okay, wood-like vinyl tiles and decoration giving a cozy impression. However, the odd bowl-like bath tub in the bathroom has let the overall design down. The design simply does not look very appealing and match with the surrounding. Beside that,You could feel the warmness during the afternoon, as the room's ocean-view window is facing the sun. Hence, the curtain needs to be closed during afternoon.

There is limited choice in the breakfast provided. However, there are many local foods nearby so that was not really a major issue.

For those travel with car, the free parking ticket entitlement is very troublesome where first you need to get it endorse at the reception lobby and then go up to the 2nd floor security room to get another endorsement. This is the area where the procedure should be simplified.

With this price, probably there are many competitive hotels out there for selection.

Room Tip: Try to go breakfast earlier as the tables are limited
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends