“Not long enough!”

Ranked #7 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Brisbane
“Not long enough!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night only on our way through KK to explore Sabah from further afield. The hotel was more than we expected and the highlight for me being a GREAT experience at the SPA upstairs. We arrived late in the evening after a sunset cruise and departed at 0530. Mum and dad ate in the in house restaurant and raved about the quality for money. They had organized a take away breakfast box for us all which we unfortunately forgot when we checked out.
Wish we had a chance to stay a few more nights here!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Ashleigh F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights. Overall, it was a pleasant stay. The hotel is very centrally located; shops, markets and restaurants are within walking distance.
The rooms are spacious and clean, although the floors always felt dusty. There was lots of drawer space, which you don't often find in hotel rooms. They also have this wavy carpet leading to the rooms which are quite psychedelic but we thought quaint. We were on the eighth floor and we had a lovely view of the mountain ranges and the sea.
They need to improve on their customer service though. They had a smile campaign going on whilst we were there, whereby the staff were encouraged to smile more and guests could nominate a staff member who smiled the most. However, the only time we ever had a smile from the reception staff was when we checked in; after that they lost their smiles. We had asked for a late checkout and were given one by one member of the staff who said that it would be recorded that we could check out at 1pm. On the day itself, we had a call from another member of staff at 12.45pm asking why we hadn't checked out yet and when told that it was already approved the day before for a 1pm checkout, she didn't know anything about it and told us that if we weren't out by 1, we would be charged another day. They were very grumpy when we eventually came down at 12.58.
We had the buffet breakfast provided as well, which offered a good variety of food. But again the staff weren't very helpful. I couldn't get green tea - they only offered Sabah tea or coffee; one morning I brought down my own bag of green tea and asked if I could have some hot water, the staff brought me a teacup of hot water. He couldn't seem to understand when I asked for a pot of hot water. The wait staff also took a long time getting from point A to point B. They also need to be more vigilant with the guests - I saw a guest walk from one dish to another using the same pair of tongs, and another one dropped the tongs, picked it up and put it back on the table. The waiter just walked past and 'didn't' see it. In fact, the chefs who came out every now and then seemed to be working harder than the wait staff.
I think our stay would have been more enjoyable if not for the poor customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with sea views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizperth
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Lizperth

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your review.

It is with regret that you had such an experience with us. I do apologize for the confusion caused upon your last day of stay. There was a miscommunication between the Front Desk staff on the checkout time extended to you. I again apologize on the poor attention given to you and the inaction by the service staff during breakfast meal period.

Rest assured that all points as mentioned has been reviewed for improvement and we will include in our training and audit to ensure such experience will not occur.

Once again do accept my sincere apology for not meeting your expectations and we welcome another opportunity to restore your confidence in the future.

Kind regards

Philip D. Theseira
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed at the Horizon Hotel for 3 nights at the start of our Borneo adventure. We had booked a double/king room but when we arrived were told such a room wasn't available, we were gratefully upgraded to a suite.

The room was much larger than expected and the bathroom was huge with a bath, separate shower and double sink. The room was modern, clean and comfortable and exceeded our expectations.

After a comfortable night we went for breakfast and to be honest, we weren't expecting a great deal, but we were pleasantly suprised! The choice was fantastic there was everything on offer from cereal, toast and fruit to noodles, eggs, soups and things were topped up regularly.

The location of the hotel was great for us, it was a 15/20 min walk to the ferry terminal, there were shops and a money changer close by and it was only a short walk to the waterfront night market.

Overall, we would stay here again, good location, comfortable rooms and a good breakfast, we couldn't have asked for much more!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear mrsadams11,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our bedroom, bathroom cleanliness, breakfast spread as well as our centralized location. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Kind Regards,

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a work trip. The hotel was busy and my room was not ready for check-in, I had booked a deluxe room non smoking but due to the room not being ready I was offered a smoking room or I would have to wait a hour, so I decided to wait the hour and get some lunch from one of the many restaurants nearby. I came back after a hour and the room was still not ready and would have to wait a further 20 minutes for my room, so I declined and took the smoking room. The rooms are nicely decorated, a little small but the beds are large and the TV's are of a good size.
I had breakfast in the morning only complaint was they have no area where you can get fresh eggs prepaid however they did have pre cooked eggs in the serving dishes which were not very good yolks were too hard for my liking. The tea was also very week tasted like water. Other than those small points the hotel is nice, Good location the staff are very friendly and I would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through but if the stay is longer than a few days I would get a larger room.

Room Tip: If the stay is longer than a few days I would get a larger room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear thehun1314,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Your comment with regards to the food quality during breakfast especially about the fresh eggs ad the taste of the tea is noted and will be looked into.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I visited the Horizon Hotel for the third time and stayed for 12 days. The staff were so wonderful and I felt so welcomed upon my return. The hotel was busy but I received excellent service at all times. I enjoyed the Dim Sum breakfast this time and I would highly recommend this when you visit. It is available till 2pm and was delicious. I was very happy to have chosen this hotel again and I would recommend this to anyone visiting Kota Kinabalu. I would recommend you enquire about the excellent variety of rooms which are available. There are beautifully appointed suites with lovely relaxing spa baths!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank patrizia s
Dear patrizia s,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our rooms, the dim sum breakfast as well as our friendly staff. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We chose the four-star Horizon Hotel & Spa as it was centrally located and was rated highly by online reviewers. Arriving only at about 9.30 pm, and leaving for our Mount Kinabalu climb at 5.30am, this hotel stay was basically a rest stop and there was not much we could do at the hotel at that point. There was no time for us to lap up their nice swimming pool, nor enjoy their spa facilities. What we needed was a comfortable room and truly, the room did not disappoint. The room was clean and nicely decorated. How the wife and I wished that we could have slept in a little longer and not leaving the hotel at 5:30am for the mountain.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Adrian p,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Sad to know that you did not manage to explore our hotel much during your stay. I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the rooms. It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Hotel is quite new. We booked a deluxe room facing the sea, but was given a choice to upgrade to a Junior suite facing the city. We chose the suite. The sea view is not entirely sea view because of the buildings round the hotel. Room is clean, relatively new and big. Nice shower and bathtub. Toiletries are adequate. Service is good.However we find the colour scheme too dark and the design on the carpet makes you dizzy. It is centrally located. Walking distance to shops, restaurants and the sea front promenade. Not far from the hotel too. In KK it is advisable to stay in town near to restaurants and shops because the taxi fares are exorbitant. It costs us RM14 to travel about 3km. There is a chinese restaurant that serves good chinese food. The coffee house is nothing to shout about. All in all a good hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on higher floors for a better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ho Henry,

I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous as well as your positive comments on our rooms, shower and the toiletries and the services.

Thank you so much for sharing the tip with others to book for a higher floor room, these are our most popular rooms. Your comments on the carpet and the colour scheme are noted.

Our team will be thrilled when they read your comments on this, thank you. The culinary and service teams at the Asian Restaurant will be happy to know about this.

Please come back and visit us again soon.

Kind regards,