After two weeks here, I think you would have to be pretty picky to find any fault with the Horizon Hotel, everything that is promised is delivered... and more.
1. Location: The Horizon is very central - right in the thick of things and it's super easy to spot from wherever you are in town, so it's easy to get your bearings and find your way back. The Sunday markets on Gaya Street are a 30-second walk from the front door. The waterfront is a five minute walk in the other direction. It's also a short walk to Wisma Merdeka and Suria Sabah shopping malls or to the nightly fish/food markets in front of the Meridien and to Jesselton Jetty.
2. Room: I stayed in a deluxe seaview room and it was like a home from home. There is a neat little kitchen 'hidden' in the wall, with kettle, bottled water and a mini fridge that you can fill with your own drinks etc. Wifi access was very good. My laptop had a little trouble on the first day locating the network, but the hotel sent an IT guy up to my room to sort it. Talk about service! There is a 42in plasma screen with a decent range of channels, including BBC Worldwide and Fox Movies. The wardrobe contains a big safe deposit box (large enough to fit my laptop, ipad and sundry other valuables). You'll also find in the wardrobe an ironing board, bathrobe and sarongs. The bathroom is very stylish, with round bathtub, rainshower and handheld shower. Lots of toiletries and they are replenished every day.The bed was super comfortable, with lots of pillows and they were exactly the right degree of softness.
3. Facilities: I didn't spend a lot of time by the pool, but could see that it was well maintained and had great views. There are only three loungers, but that's because there simply isn't room for more. The gym is better equipped than your average hotel gym and the lifeguard/gym assistant is very helpful. The spa on the 5th floor is open from midday to midnight and has quite an array of services. I had several one-hour foot and shoulder massages (very relaxing, I fell asleep during one of them).
4. Tours: the tour desk at reception is brilliant! I used them quite a few times, even did a couple of the tours twice! (fireflies and the national park tours). Catherine, Davis and Brendon, thank you!!!!
5. Food: I'm ashamed to say that I didn't go further than the breakfast buffet (plentiful, with a big Asian offering, but I'm a jam and toast person) and room service (which was perfectly fine - choice of burgers, rice dishes or noodles and prices are very reasonable).
6. Hotel staff: definitely one of the best assets of this hotel. Everyone - from those at the front desk, to the concierges, to the breakfast waiting staff and the lovely friendly faces who cleaned my room each day - were shining examples of warm professionalism. Hotels can be soulless places, but the staff here really make you feel like part of their family. I love the way that they manage to be quite unobtrusive and yet so totally efficient.
Overall, I have had a fantastic time here (one day to go, but I'm not expecting any nasty surprises) and I would say, if you're considering staying in Kota Kinabalu, the Horizon Hotel represents excellent value for money. I'd been tossing up between the Horizon and the Meridien (central location and sunset views being my priorities) and I'm very glad I chose the Horizon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the city with sea views, featuring branded 42/50" Plasma TV, restorative rain showers, comfortable beds, free high speed internet access and all the extra touches that will make your stay memorable. Our thoughtfully designed modern spacious and luxurious rooms promise a restful stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Horizon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horizon Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Horizon Hotel And Spa