Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Johor Bahru District, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We reached the hotel at 2pm and was told by the receptionist that our rooms were not ready to check-in, the cleaner still doing cleaning works, and finally it took us more than an hour (till 3.20pm, vwaiting for nothing at hotel lobby) to get the room access card! In addition, some of light fittings in my room was not in working condition! On top of that, the buffet breakfast were bad. The only good thing about this hotel is the location, it located at the town centre, walking distance to Sunday market. However, I'm very sure we will never stay in this hotel again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank hyc51
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Dear hyc51,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I am most concerned to note of your encounter and I truly regret the inconvenience and negative impression reflected. Please accept my profound apologies as clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

Rest assured, I have followed up on your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement particularly, our Front Desk and Housekeeping, to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Your comment with regards to the food quality during breakfast is noted and will be looked into. And thank you for sharing our great location on your comments.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Philip Theseira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is right in the centre of Chinatown so you will forgive me for thinking I was travelling through China and not Malaysia.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

The room was great (think we lucked out with top floor and amazing sea view) - it was clean although the bathroom drain sometimes had a horrible smell...

The food and the breakfast were not good - please heed the previous message from other guests.

While the concept of the pool was there, it hadn't quite delivered on the poolside bar or any form of relaxation.

Like everything in Kota Kinabula, it was just "ok" and hardly met expectations...I would just head straight to Sandakan.

Stayed January 2014
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Betticrockatt,

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the cleanliness of our rooms and our great location.

Your comment with regards the bathroom drain, food during breakfast and the pool is noted and will be looked into.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Natalia Nadirah Saiman
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We have been to KK Sabah many times and keep trying different accommodation each time. This time we booked a Deluxe Seaview King Room through Agoda and unfortunately upon arrival the did not have our room available on Xmas eve and said it maybe a few days before they can accommodate our exact room. We accepted that mistakes and blunders do happen but the room we were given was very dark and quite small compared to the web photos. Also probably the most annoying thing was that the hall entrance light was a sensor light and every time you or your partner go to he toilet thru the night it lights the whole room up. In relatoin to the rest ot the Hotel it was disappointing to find their main Asian Delight Restaurant closed down over the Xmas busy period. In general the food at the Horizon was just acceptable. Staff were friendly and the best thing was the free car parking on site and being centrally located to all the shopping centres,restaurants and Gaya St market place plus BB Cafe and bar plus others. All in all not bad just a 3 star hotel in the heart of beautiful KK.

Room Tip: Absolutely make sure you check the night before and get confirmation you are getting what you booked...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Neilandsuzie,

I am most concerned to note of your encounter and I truly regret the inconvenience and negative impression reflected on the room given to you.
Please accept my profound apologies as clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement as to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

I am truly sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations on this visit. I do hope that this did not affect your overall impression of Kota Kinabalu as a destination and one day you will visit again.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel is in a very central part of KK great for people like ourselves. The cleaning staff on level 12 were great the rooms were cleaned to perfection every day. Room service is average if it turns up that is. Breakfast is a nightmare with the Chinese guests being VERY rude and pushy. I was getting some fruit from a bowl with tongs and all of a sudden they were ripped from my hands by a Chinese woman what you have to do is treat them as they treat you. I don't think I would stay again. Swimming pool and Bar very average Tiny in fact. should have a rating of around 3.

Room Tip: I can't recommend a room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank simon w
Dear Simon W,

Thank you for your positive feedback on our bedroom cleanliness consistency and sharing about our great location.

Your comments with regards to the other guests’ behaviour during breakfast are noted and will be looked into.

Kind Regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel was clean and staff were friendly, We had ordered an extra bed, which was not ready. The room had 2 single beds not the double we wanted and with the extra bed in there it was very cramped.
We changed rooms the next day and that was a lot more spacious.
Same problem as everywhere else we traveled we needed an extra towel and glass,that was fixed.
The outdoor pool was rather small with only a few chairs around it and the bar area was tiny.
The hotel was very busy and there seemed to be large travel groups from China staying there, they are extremely rude and noisy quite pushy around the breakfast buffet.
The travel desk was not much help but we had the fortune of meeting a very helpful Restaurant Manager - Bariamin he helped with all our inquiries, a very nice gentleman,

Room Tip: the hotel is a couple of blocks from the waterfront so even though there a glimpses of water it is m...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bob K

Dear Bob K,

I am sure our staff will be delighted to hear your comments on our cleanliness and friendliness. On your comments on the bedding type given will be looked into and glad that we managed to give more spacious room for you on the following day, we hope you it has met your expectation.

Your comments with regards to the other guests’ behavior during breakfast are noted and will be looked into.

Once again, thank you for raising this, with some focus on this area I am confident the next time you visit you will see an improvement.

Natalia Nadirah Saiman
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 7 January 2014

To All,
Hotel are rated not bcause of the service offered to the guest but by the facilities in the hotel base on the criteria of the country.
But Horizon is just on the border line to be a 3* Hotel serice offering 4* facilities for the price of some 5*. I regret for not paying a bit more and staying in a better place but we learn by traveling around and by our mistake.If I had time of a cahnce, I would have take the change to move to another place but we were so buxy doign tour.
Good thing for them, location, top area to walk around and fai view from the room.
Bad thing for them, service attitude all over the place, room not clean of the first day and just badly clean others days.
Not shamppo or shower gel replace during our all stay, impossible to get an extra key because they dont have enough....or more important, your choice of bed is base on first come for serve and we were told, it's the management policy....Very strange.
The bad side of the concierge, ask them for a taxis to take you to a mall and you will be charge RM 15 just for 300M walk but we had to take the cab due of the heavy rain.
The worst of this hotel is the breakfast service and choice of food, So bad, a trully cafeteria with a bit of food.
Try to get a a greetings or ask to the hotel staff for some hot milk and wait to see what they are going to reply.
I'm sure they are goinf to anticpate after my message
Good luck to them

Room Tip: Maybe a see view but you have to building front of the hotel blocking partialy the view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in the Horizon from December 22-26 2013. It was good for what we paid for, only let down was service staff on check out. Otherwise very clean, friendly, Loved the spa avaliabilty in the complex. My son (5 years old) loved the pool! It is in a great part of the city close to shopping, sunday market and night market. We struggled slightly with the breakfast - it wasnt great, but it's Asia and I think you need to remember that. We spent Christmas in this hotel and they put on a beautiful christmas performance on Christmas Eve in the lobby. Overall we were very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family