“Staff that steal!”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Even though the majority of the TA reviews were not good for this hotel, we still wanted to give it a go.
If you do decide to stay here (and I suggest you don't) insist on having the standard of room that you booked and if in doubt, view the room before checking in.
We did get a room that we were satisfied with, although the rooms are knocked around and in need of a refurb.
The breakfast is everything and more that people have written - the worst of the worst! I just don't see what it is so difficult to provide fresh, local food, it does not have to be a huge choice, but at least make it fresh and edible. I struggled to find anything that was worth eating and the environment of being surrounded by noisy, rude and messy Chinese tourists made it a place that I would recommend avoid at any cost!
Several times we tried to give our business to the bar/restaurant, but the complete ignorance with cocktails was bordering on comedy - the menu displays well known cocktails like Pina Colada and Margarita - but the drinks we were completely unrecognisable and when asked what was them, it became clear that the "bartender" was just mixing bits and pieces together with no idea what he was doing and on most occasions we thought the alcohol had been left out altogether.
On check out we were told we had not paid a deposit and no matter how much we insisted we had, we were overcharged by a significant amount.
The most disturbing part of our time at this hotel was that we had a Samsonite leather luggage piece stolen from our locked hotel room by whom we assume was the staff member cleaning our room on that day. I reported the incident within 24 hours of the item going missing and although I was able to pinpoint the morning it was taken and filled out all the appropriate paperwork - there has been no follow up by the hotel.
I was reassured on check out that the matter would be resolved and i certainly expected to be compensated for the cost of this piece of luggage.
I have sent numerous emails to the hotel requesting a solution to this situation and have been ignored. I have patiently waited for 2-3 weeks, but it is obvious I am not going to be answered.
The staff member who stole my property from my locked hotel room would have very easy to locate and the fact that the hotel considers this sort of criminal behaviour of their staff as being acceptable is nothing short of incredible!
Shame on you Horizon, I hope your bookings are reflect the TA communities view of management such as yours.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Palmcove13
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Palmcove 13,

Thank you for your comments.

With regards to the breakfast, all items are prepared fresh daily and hot food is served piping hot in chaffing dishes. A variety of Western and Asian spread is laid out daily together with salads, fresh fruits, juices, a selection of cereals, breads and desserts items. Breakfast is the busiest meal period and most are International guests and of cause it may be noisy at times.
Whilst I was not pleased to read that on your comments on our staff, we have checked on your reports that it was a Samsonite toiletries bag.

On your comments on our staff and the response time given by our manager, this is something I will address with the team as we should be getting back to our guest promptly. I would appreciate if you could contact me via email at gm@horizonhotelsabah.com for further information.

Overall your feedback is very constructive and I have noted the on our breakfast and the restaurant which something we certainly look into.

Thank you for taking the time to share; this only gives us an opportunity to improve.

Kind regards,
Philip D. Theseira

Reviewed 11 February 2014

The location is perfect for exploring Kota Kinabalu and the nearby islands.

The room was spacious and comfortable. We had a non-smoking room, however there was a strange smoke/fusty smell when we arrived in the room.

Although the hotel is relatively new, some areas of the hotel needed TLC.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Could hardly be more centrally located in KK's compact central district. The sea view rooms are definately to be preferred. Room decor is slightly on the quirky side with extensive use of wood giving a slight 'sauna' feel to the rooms but this is quite OK.
The public areas are on the compact side, especially the pool. I found the staff to be friendly and helpfull, the breakfast buffet was good and I had a good, reasonably priced dinner here too - thumbs up for the oxtail stew which I find rarely disapoints in Asia.
My only complaint was that the in-room WiFi didn't work.
I have stayed in four different KK hotels and I would stay here again although at approx.US$90/ night it's not the best value in town.

Room Tip: Sea view, high floor for the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is just great to be located at the city centre if all you want is to explore the local food stores and markets. However, if you dream of relaxing yourself in Sabah, you must find a resort. However, to save for better nights, this hotel is still a choice when you have plans to join all kinds of local trips to the parks, islands, or for a river cruise. Even there is a pool, there is no place (there are 3 indeed, only 3) for you to lie by the pool. I will definitely choose another when I can afford it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear keungkeung,
Thank you for your very warm and sincere comments. Your overall feedback is very constructive and I have noted the mentions on the Hotel locations, it seems that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel and sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous. Being a city hotel we have space constraint and as such sun loungers are limited at the poolside.

Thank you for taking the time to share,this only gives us an opportunity to improve.
Kind regards,

Natalia Nadirah Saiman

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My vacation was ruined by the jerk manager at the receiption, who insisted to charge me 4RM for a 6mins local call and won't let me go if I don't pay for it. No matter how many times I explained to him, that I was told by the operator that all local calls are for free. The jerk manager said there was no operator in their hotel and I must pay as long as I made the call, or he won't let me walk out of that door. I was so pissed by his attitude instead of the 4RM. I'll never return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank zmybb
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear zmybb 1012,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your feedback and thoughts are important to us.

Whilst I am not so pleased to hear about your comments, I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Your comments on the manager being a jerk, I have to disagree with you on this.
The manager had explained politely and clearly that any calls made from the hotel, charges will apply.

Since the day we opened our doors for business, all calls made out are chargeable.

I hope the explanation is clear and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Philip D. Theseira

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed five nights at Horizon in delux twin room. Front desk were nice and gave us sea view side. (Be sure to ask for sea side!)

The room was spacious and comfortable. Good AC and wi-fi. Not so good reading light at the beds. Bathroom very nice. Shower pressure weak, but really hot water. Missed a line or somewhere to dry clothes. (At least all hotels with pool should have this.)

Housekeeping service and laundry service can get better though. Laundry service was delivered one day late, without notice. Housekeeping kept the room clean, but almost always forgot to refill or change something (water, coffee, shampoo, toilet paper etc.) Make sure you leave the DND-sign on the door at night unless you want housekeeping before 9. AM. And notify reception when you want the room cleaned. Only telling housekeeping will usually not be enough.

We liked both the gym and pool, but didn't try the spa (due to bad reviews).

We were there over Chinese New Year so the hotel was full (of chinese families). Nevertheless staff did a good job both at reception and breakfast restaurant. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice for everybody. We foten had a table outside, which was a good alternative to a often full and noisy restaurant. We ate at Cafe Deco three times (besides breakfast) and ordered room service. We had good pizza and sandwiches. Very friendly staff.

Apart from being a good hotel, Horizon also has the advantage of a great location. Both Central Market, food night market, Sunday Market, Suria Sabah, Jesselton Jetty, Southeast Sea Sanctuary Spa, and plenty restaurants are very close. 5-10 min walk or less.

It's not the most luxurious or absolutely best hotel in KK, but good enough for a couple of days of citylife and daytrips.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Clara H
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here for five nights in early January, having come from Kuching. It was not our first stay in Kota Kinabalu.
The reviews on here vary greatly and I think I can understand both the criticisms and the praise (except those that were obviously written by people who have no clue about Asia, like "thought I was in China because of the surroundings -tosh!"
The Horizon is splendidly quirky - that crazy lamp in the lobby (the horse), and the bathtub in the room behind the bedhead. And the square teacups. Well done, better than being boring!
So my experiences, good and bad :-

Good. Smooth fast check-in, and a nice view from the Room on the P'th floor (don't say 13th). The room was city view, but not too much "city", see pics. Very pleased to find it was a good size room with one of the biggest in-room safes that I have experienced.
Bathroom/shower also roomy and towels, toilet amenities were replenished as required. I don't understand people who complain that items are not replenished, if it happens, just call housekeeping. Some of the housekeeping staff can be under a good deal of pressure and may make overlook a task.
Very impressed with the 42" TV, plus the HDMI lead and in wall connection for USB, AV leads,etc. Usual tea/coffee/water provided plus a newspaper every morning.
Beds were large (twin room) and comfortable.

Bad. Despite the hotel being quite "young" our first impression of the room was that it was very worn. I realised later that this was due,almost certainly to guests being less than careful with their luggage, etc, The room "furniture" was clearly a poor fitting out choice and had not stood up to hard use. (see pics). This, together with some less than perfect cleaning gave the room a very "tatty" look. BUT, I don't want to unfairly criticise the Housekeeping staff as they were always very busy.
Perhaps the hotel has a rotating programme for intensive cleaning of rooms (rather than the daily sweep out and make the beds) and our room was overdue to be done.
As has been commented on before, the hotel seems to cater for a lot of mainland Chinese who act somewhat differently to most fellow hotel guests that you meet in Asia. Try "googling" "Bad mannered Chinese Tourists". The Chinese tourist potential is enormous so I guess we have to get used to it. (but have you ever had your toast snatched out of your tongs at breakfast?!)
And, talking of breakfast, the area is much too small, so it's a good idea to find out from the very helpful Manager there what time is less busy.
One last point, the hotel is relatively expensive, ( I put this down to high occupancy figures keeping prices up). Our previous hotel was the Hilton in Kuching and there was very little difference in the price.

All in all, happy to go back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vetus

Dear Vetus,

Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel facilities and our services. Your constructive and positive comments on our service and facilities are truly appreciated. You have highlighted specific areas that we need to address specifically on our furniture’s, cleaning and the breakfast. A scheduled cleaning program is already in place and we will continue to monitor the level of cleanliness to the highest standards.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel & our helpful Manager. It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous. Please come back again soon and we look forward to welcome you.
Warm regards,