“disappointed”

Ming Garden Hotel & Residences
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I had booked this hotel for one night. For Asia, the price was high, but I had been anticipating certain features. I may have looked at two or three hotel booking sites (and used hotels.com) so I will not dismiss the possibility I created certain expectations myself.

To start, any, and all of the staff I encountered, were wonderful. So, this review is not about the staff.

It started poorly. I could not get an early check-in (I arrived around 11:30 am), in fact, I did not get my room until WELL AFTER 2:00 pm. I sat around a lot, I went walkabout for hours. I had a cappuccino (about 15MYR) in the lounge. It was like I had someone else´s second steaming. Their cappuccino was unacceptable at any price - but I did not say a word as I was looking forward to my room.

My room was not what I had anticipated. There was no ¨city view¨, although this is not important to me. I opened the bathroom door - no bathtub, only a shower. I cannot say why I expected a bathtub, but I had. Though I definitely remember reading that there were to be slippers, a bathrobe, a safe and a mini-bar. There was no bathrobe and I was out of clean clothes. Sigh ... and there was no mini-bar. Sigh .... The TV was a handful (8-9) of channels, which proved unacceptable in my sleepless night. There was no top sheet on the bed - only a comforter - way too thick and hot to use even with the A/C. No top sheet? Am I that dumb that I could not find it - or expect one?

The big draw for this hotel (for me) had been the promise of a sauna. Where I live, there just aren´t any and I love one as the best relaxant, even in a hot, humid climate. Uh-oh. The sauna was not working. I asked when and got a polite shrug. I was also informed that the Jacuzzi was not working, either. The pool was open (and OK), but it was (naturally) filled with little kids and parents - not a place for adults to relax.

Again, all the front line staff I encountered were beyond reproach. As for facilities and expectations of quality from advertising (including my own possible confusion), well, I was just 4starfully disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank CanadianinTaiwan
There are newer reviews for Ming Garden Hotel & Residences

Reviewed 8 February 2013

Stayed 6th feb -12th.2013

Check-in was fine and smooth as we arrived at 6pm.Our room was on the 4th floor,it was a king size bedroom,it was very spacious,clean and fairly new.bathroom was nice ,not a huge one but okay,loved the shower head with nice hot water.
There is a good size flat screen tv with a few channels ,mostly other language.The bed was soft and nice soft pillows,which is always very important for a good nights sleep.

The pool is on the 4 floor,free towels are there for guests use.A medium size rectangle size pool,in front of the gym and play crèche for children,There is a shallow pool for the children.There some deck chair with a bar towards the side of patio,to ordered drinks.Please BEWARE the brown smooth tiles are very dangerous around the pool,when water is on them,nearly slipped over twice.The pool did not have that wow factor for me ,but was clean and warm water.

Never use the spa due to the fact I was put off by the man in the spa,who has no customer service skills ans seem so unprofessional and I saw that they were smoking inside the spa area,this is utterly disgusting.imaging having a massage there ,while you smell that smoke.i believe this spa is run separately to the hotel,a private business.would not recommend it.

Dinner was lovely ,ate there on the first night,service was great,food was excellent,big serving and not too dear,l had the salmon and steak for tea for 2 of us,an 2 entree was $45.00 aus dollars.

Breakfast was huge and an excellent variety of all types of food.yummy.the best spread I think I have ever seen.very busy on all morning,but service was good and fairly quick.

Wifi available only in the lounge,bistro or foyer area,it was very fast on most days.free with your room booking.

Hotels have there own taxi available at your request and there is a free shuttle that's goes into kk city and back 6 times a day,must book for a seat,12 seater bus.

Some great shopping at surin plaza,2 year old plaza,centre point was not bad too.

Overall this hotel was not a bad stay,not sure above its decor,it all mixed up and colours in the lobby are so so.building on the outside seems older than 2 year old hotel.fairly busy place,lots of staff,most are very friendly,pity this hotel is not closer to the city.i think I would stay at one in kk city like the le meridian look very nice,but not sure that I would come to kota k,beachs not that good near the city.The islands beaches seem very nice though,heading out there soon.Theres not much here to do in Kk..loved the night market in kk city,this is a must see and do.go see the water front area,some nice looking resturants there.

Ciao for now
Elisa Australia.

Room Tip: We had a king bed room ,it seem to be bigger than the others rooms.very roomy on the 4 floor..
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
General Manager M, General Manager at Ming Garden Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear Elisa,

Warmest greetings from Ming Garden Hotel & Residences!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Ming Garden Hotel & Residences.

We are delighted to read your review regarding your stay with us, it gives us great pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with highlights of the rooms and knowing that you have a good night's sleep. We are utterly pleased to know that you enjoyed your culinary experience both during breakfast and dinner time at the Golden Dew Bistro.

We appreciate your comments on the functionality of Odyssey Spa and have addressed the issue to the respective supervisor. We take these complaints very seriously and will send out admonitions on the cleanliness and disagreeable attitude of the staff. Please accept our sincere apologies on the inconvenince caused. On the other hand, we are pleased that you find our pool an ideal and great place for relaxation. We do apologies as the poolside area is indeed a tad bit slippery when it's wet.

As the main shopping malls are quite a stone's throw away from the hotel, we believe the hotel's shuttle and taxi services helped on your journey around the city? We are glad to know you had quite a little adventure while in Kota Kinabalu :)

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Ming Garden Hotel & Residences! See you again soon :)

Reviewed 23 December 2012

We are stay here for 4 D/ 3 N , room clean , only make us feel disappointed the breakfast service associate , we are 3 person , he bring us to the table ask him can sit there , then we are went to the buffet line to take ours buffet , when I return to our table , the Korean tourist also would like to sit there , the Korean say he's first , then , I called the same service associate and ask him , then he ask us to sit to the corner small table without any table set up. Even the dirty plate no service staff to clear . But can see a lot of staffs moving in & out , just like mis direction , do know what to do. What i say is the manager must more training the staff.

Room Tip: Do not stay the room facing the main road , you will sleepless all night long .
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank andrew j
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Let's put things in perspective. I've gone to KK several times and I've stayed in two other hotels: Promenade and Manja Hotel which is in the same price range. The experience from the other hotels was just BAAADDD. So bad that an average hotel like Ming Garden can pass off as a four star hotel.

That being said, I think this is already a good hotel for business trips. But I definitely wouldn't stay in this hotel for a holiday!

The good:
- love the showerhead
- at least, it's clean (especially when compared to Promenade which is just poorly maintained)
- it's close to our office
- the room lighting is actually nice
- good sleep quality

The bad:
- the food from the restaurant, particularly the buffet is mediocre. If you must dine, order the western cuisine (the grilled salmon was nice) which is much better than their asian menu
- no wifi in the rooms; you have to get wired to get access to internet
- limited channels on tv
- room somewhat looks cramped
- the lift is also confusing, you don't know which one will open so very easy to miss
- always cramped with a lot of tourists from mainland China and Korea so it can be a bit noisy and rowdy especially during check-out time (12nn) and breakfast time

Room Tip: Pick a room away from common areas (lift, mid-hall)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Matthew4971
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I went to the hotel and staying there on 16th - 19 Nov 2012.My 1st impression was "wow' with such a brand new hotel..even it is quite far from the city and the free shuttle service is offered only until 5 pm..yet i was not complaining at all. On my 2nd day, i couldnt enter my room because the card couldnt be accessed. The reception counter told me that i am supposed to check out on that day.i said " What theeee.."..because i had booked the room for 3 nights via calls.With tired face, i asked them to extend my staying period.I'm so dissapointed.And that nite too, i ordered a Wanton Soup Noodles with a cup of hot milo.And yet, the guest service sent me 2 types of noodles, 1 was Wanton soup Noodles, and the other 1 was Wanton Fried Noodles.Fortunately, they refund my money back coz the Wanton Fried Noodles was not in my order. AND, the last day incident was the most DISAPPOINTING ever when almost all my precious clothes were damaged by the Laundry Service.AND, the staffs admitted that it was their fault for being careless.Definitely, i claimed it as a total damage.The hotel had paid me out by cash due to laundry damage with total cost RM700.00.Based on my experiences, the hotel staffs are not well-trained and not very capable in delivering their services.Double check things will be the "none' things to do.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelMyPassi0n
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have stayed in this hotel twice so far this year and I have to admit that the staff service is simply excellent. It is probably hard to find another hotel of similar standard to have such good service. I only tried the morning breakfast provided in the hotel, generally, the food was still at the acceptable level though lack variety. Hotel is still rather new, so it was a little quiet around, even the mini bar/club next to it at night was very empty. Overall, a very good hotel with contemporary design of rooms and great service!

Room Tip: Try to get the room which allows you to have the view of Kota Kinabalu coast.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Patrick T
General Manager M, General Manager at Ming Garden Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Mr. Patrick T,

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you've enjoyed your stay with us.

Watch out for more variety on the menus as we are preparing more selection of dishes in the near future. Thank you very much for your support and please do come back whenever you are in KK for a visit. :)

See you!

Reviewed 20 October 2012

yes this hotel is new,cleaning and nice to stay but did anybody staying in this hotel try there food?i have try the food,but did anybody get any knowledge that all the food are in cool not in warm although they on the spot cook for u also cool when the time they send the food to your hand.yes they have waitress working but most of them just talking to each others most of the time.almost every night buffer food are same.No new food or special food they can cook.is that this hotel got chef?Room rate is good nut restaurant rate is very bad.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple