“okay”

Ming Garden Hotel & Residences
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 23 February 2014

i booked this hotel for my honeymoon..and i requested for honeymoon decoration..when i check in the reception wish me happy honeymoon :) tq.but i quite disappointed when i come to my room..no decoration at all. :( but overall is okay,fast check in & check out ,clean,friendly staff and good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L0veMiami

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Very nice place, although it may not seem like much at first. The reception and concierge didn't make a great first impression because it was tucked away to the left corner of the main entrance and behind a huge pillar, so guests have to walk around that pillar to get to the reception. In my opinion, hotel receptions should be in full view of the main entrance and easily accessed.

But the rooms are very nice and clean, and reasonably spacious, with comfortable beds and pillows. Lighting in the room is also adequate. While I'm overall satisfied with the room, I didn't like that the TV is hung above this particular small shelf. Firstly, I assume this shelf to be for me to place and open the luggage, because there's nowhere else to do so, unless I place my luggage on the ground. And since my luggage is on that shelf, it becomes difficult to stand there and rummage in my luggage without blocking the view of the TV for my companion. This TV-shelf positioning is not thoughtful at all.

The bathroom is also a little too small for my liking, even though I'm a small-sized person. Barely has space for any navigation, and I'm always in danger of knocking my arms or legs against something when getting dressed in the bathroom.

Still, with these couple of downsides, I'm pleased with the other facilities. The gym, the pool, the restaurants and bars were all surprisingly great. I tried room service too and it was fairly good too. Although the ribeye steak was not fresh at all, the other dishes we ordered were really tasty.

In the nutshell, I'd recommend Ming Garden for a couple nights' stay in KK.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked the hotel based on the review here and availability of room.

It was a decent hotel to stay for a night - which I did. Location wise is about 15 minutes away from the airport - good if you're rushing to catch a flight home. Everything is within a short cab drive away - the Philippines market, big mall in front etc. Food is just a short walk away.

Room is nice enough, facing the swimming pool. Buffet breakfast was not great - but decent. Too many tourists about so it could get rather boisterous (I thought the crowd would've cleared by 9.30). Internet was good, so all is well, I'd say.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The location could have been better but you can walk to the centre of town in 20 minutes and they have free transfers busses there and back. The hotel facilities are good, morning buffét was okay, gym and pool were also okay. Wifi reception was really poor in the rooms and we had to go to the public areas in order to check emails etc.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carl A
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The hotel itself is ok and very convenient to get to the airport and the town centre. The first room we were given looked out on the back of the hotel and had mould going up the back wall. In addition to this despite asking for a non smoking room the corridor and room itself smelt of smoke. When we called reception to complain they said they would send up housekeeping to "spray" the room! After a few further conversations we were finally moved to a much nicer room.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 28 January 2014

It looks clean ~ front line staff are so friendly especially the bellboy and the guard. One thing that hold me from giving this hotel full 5/5 rate was their back office staff, I mean the reservation department. I used to have this hotel voucher and its about to expired already so when I call up for room reservation ~ its like they're hesitate to book the room for me not until when I mentioned about my voucher expiry date. It was a low season for most hotels in Malaysia so I dont think their 600 rooms will be fully used up at that time. So sad that they/re not welcoming me to checking in their hotel for having a complimentary one night stay (voucher) other than that, their housekeeping staff was so helpful. And another thing ~ this hotel is not walking distance to the centre of the town ~ so be ready to get your own transport.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The hotel in itself was nice, we were upgraded to some sort of suite on the 10th floor which was very spacious, good as it had a mini kitchen etc (though no utensils at all - that would have been useful!)

The real downside is the location - it was pretty difficult to walk into the centre due to the need to cross the 6 lane road just outside the door - we did this anyway but it wasn't particularly easy OR safe to navigate! I found it incredibly frustrating that the mall across the road was impossible to get to on foot! However, taxis are cheap and plentiful. Don't bother with the shuttle bus as it just seemed to be full every time we tried to book!

Food and drinks were fine in the restaurants downstairs and the staff were friendly and kind especially the doormen & bar staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family