“Not entirely as described or displayed but fair value”

Zara's Boutique Hotel
Ranked #27 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I chose this hotel because I read that it was female only staff and that somehow appealed to me. Also the pictures looked nice, and it seemed great value for the location. I was slightly disappointed by the state of my room on arrival, although basically clean it was somewhat shabby and ill kempt. Honestly having walked around the entire hotel, inside and out could not envisage a single room having garden views as described on the website. It is further than town than described, but a 15 RM taxi fare is fine by me for a quiet, secure and cheap location when transiting. It's fine if you are on a budget and don't mind the easily distracted nature of the girls on the desk, who can't keep one customer in their sights but must flit between jobs and allow random people to interrupt conversations. I'll try another place next time.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the back of the hotel, the front is directly on a main road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
ZaraBH, Manager at Zara's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

First and foremost we would like to thank you for staying with us. Thank you for taking your valuable time to give us some constructive comments and we appreciate that you have highlighted our hotel being safe, quiet and reasonably priced. That is the primary objective that we would like to achieve. That is to provide a clean, safe, convenient, spacious and affordable accommodation to our valuable guests like yourself.

We will be initiating our shuttle services to the airport and downtown in the next few months and meanwhile we will look into your observation of the front office trainees and will definitely ensure that they follow our standard operating procedures when checking in and checking out guests. We apologized for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you once again for staying with us.

Patricia Michael
Hotel manager

Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

Staying here for company event. realise its a good place, Good location and suitable for guest that needs parking!

Spacious room and friendly staff

Near Times Square. Place for clubbing or night life. Also near Sutera harbour, where u can hoop for island trip!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I will be back! Thats what I said to the lady @the receptionist in October last year. I did come back, just recently-February. Again traveling solo on business. I simply like the ambience/loction. Easy to get food. Clean room & the staffs are very helpful & friendly. Will I be back to stay here again? Definitely...I am coming back again in May.-school holidays. This time with my family.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We (3 couples) had many issues during our two separate nights stay at the Zara Hotel. (Mountain climb in between) The first night in the standard double rooms wasn't so bad - problems were noisy electrical circuit box buzzing away all night as well as noisy air conditioner. The main problems were on our return (even after informing the staff we would be back a day later). We arrived around 6:30pm for them to inform us that they had no booking for us. After I showed them the Agoda booking they then went off to 'find' us our two suites (no availablitiy for doubles at booking) as booked weeks before. After a very long day summiting and descending the mountain all we wanted was a warm shower. We had to wait for an hour for our room to be found and then cleaned as well as clean towles to be found from the laundry (7pm!?!). Once in our rooms we were greeted with no warm water and a very sparsely furnished -'suite' room - the double rooms were much better. Our friend's room had a kicked in bathroom door without a handle nor a lock. Both entrance doors on the rooms didn't fit properly and were difficult to open and close. In general this hotel is OK and clean if you just want a place to rest your head, but it's not close to town (taxis take a while when called) nor did it have a secure luggage room. Our friend also had her camera stolen from the lobby area, so be careful with your valuables. The breakfast was served in a next door cafe and it was awful. Skip booking breakfast if you have the choice and eat in town.

Room Tip: Skip the suites, the doubles were better and the breakfast is awful - eat in town
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
ZaraBH, Manager at Zara's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

First and foremost we would like to take this opportunity to thanked you for staying with us. We sincerely apologize for any shortcomings that you may have encountered due to arriving during the busiest time of the year. Kota Kinabalu has never experienced this magnitude of tourist arrival during the busiest time of the year namely Chinese New Year.
We have guests lining up to check in at our hotel which we efficiently helped to check in and commented that they have not seen such care being taken and how well organized and helpful our staff have been.

To be fair to our front office staff we would like to clarify that there were no incident of disorganization as you have mentioned in your review. In fact prior to your arrival we have several briefings to endure that you arrival will be treated with the highest level of care accorded to all of our guests. We have manager stand by to greet you however there must be some misunderstanding that caused the unpleasant feeling that you might have upon checked in that probably resulting in your critical and negative comment you have left for us.

I would be grateful if you could drop me a personal email for me to have the opportunity to speak with you and understand the whole situation and extend you a sincere apology if we have failed to impress you.

We would like to assure all our valued customer that although we are charging a reasonably low rate as a three star hotel we definitely strive to provide 5 star services within our means to all of our valued guests and we thank you for staying with us.

Kind regards
Patricia Michael
Hotel manager

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Came with my family and the four of us are very pleasantly surprised by the excellent and quality service provided by the staff.very efficient and prompt in making us feel at home. The family suite we booked comfotably accomodated the 4 of us and I must add, best kept secret in Sabah. The location is near the city and the beaches and I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends :)

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Loved it! for its perfect location & ambiance. With ample restaurants to choose from to having/enjoying the mountain (view) from my room. Yes.. you have an option to stay in a room with mountain view or city view. The hotel although not really in the city centre (its within walking distance or 5 mins drive to City center) still is a good choice for those who prefers to be slightly out from the noises. Parking is not a problem, and it's safe. Even without car, you can easily go by with calling in a taxi, just ask the reception lady(ies). The staff are very helpful and always receive/greet customers with unpretentious smile!..very friendly. The room is very clean and WIFI service is good. Thats all I need. Will i stay here again ? or recommend this hotel to friends/family? Answer: definitely. Infact, i have stayed here 3 times - on leisure and business.

Bna.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stayed with my sisters in the Family Suite for relaxing over the weekend. The room is very clean and my gosh....huge! We can hold a party in there. Lol. The only hotel in Sabah with only female staff. No parking problem and safe to park cars. No worries on food as there are so many restaurants and not forgetting a 7 eleven shop in case you crave for junk food. Within walking distance to Sutera Harbour. Its only 5-7 minutes drive to the city and 10 minutes to the airport. Oh yes, the hotel is new. Will definitely go back to stay there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family