“Budget but overrated”

Zara's Boutique Hotel
Ranked #43 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Stayed for 1 night which I glad that my friends and I only stayed for 1 night as the bathroom is awful and view from room was not nice.
We highly anticipated the stay but was disappointed.
Please do not expect view of Sutera Harbour, any yatch or even sea, which is far away.
Overall, the room was OK with air-cond and TV, but the bathroom was a real 'nightmare' for us or rather was a bad experience for us. So far, the worst bathroom that we ever encounter from all the hotels that we stayed before.
Even though the toilet was big enough but the setting was bad not to mention low water pressure. Unpleasant bath and after bath as the floor was all wet and slightly flooded with the bath water due to the drain hole setting and there is no proper partition/blocking between the bath cubicle and the whole toilet to prevent the bath water from flowing in the whole toilet. Even the shower curtain was useless.
Please remember to put the floor/feet towel outside the toilet instead of inside the toilet as the towel tend to get soaked. Request for replacement floor towel and drying of the toilet floor was unattended and we have to request the second time, however, we cancel the request to dry the toilet floor as it was late night when we are back to the hotel later that night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Zara's Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 31 March 2013

My partner and I stayed at Zara Hotel for the last week of February. We found the room was clean and comfortable, its just that the room are quite large for us. Internet is available at the hotel lobby and there are excellent eating places nearby. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and we'll be back again on this coming September.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DTBK01
Reviewed 28 March 2013

first trip to kk and stayed here for three days. the reception area is fine, the staff are smart, but the rest of the hotel and the customer service is lacking. perhaps we expect to much, we were not even shown to our room, given the number and off you go. then when we got there the safe would not work, there was no fridge and the toilet would not flush and had not been flushed since the previous occupant. we were moved rooms but the whole of the hotel apart from reception was very plain and not attractive. on the last day we were given a complementary breakfast at the place next door. i wish they had not of bothered as it was awful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CONWAY177
Reviewed 28 March 2013

During my weeklong stay, I was impressed with the quality of service at the hotel. It is maintained and operated by women supported by male nighttime security staff. The facility was clean and quiet. The location is close to a major resort and a short taxi ride to shipping centres and the main city area. There are many local food outlets adjoining the hotel

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I chose this hotel because I read that it was female only staff and that somehow appealed to me. Also the pictures looked nice, and it seemed great value for the location. I was slightly disappointed by the state of my room on arrival, although basically clean it was somewhat shabby and ill kempt. Honestly having walked around the entire hotel, inside and out could not envisage a single room having garden views as described on the website. It is further than town than described, but a 15 RM taxi fare is fine by me for a quiet, secure and cheap location when transiting. It's fine if you are on a budget and don't mind the easily distracted nature of the girls on the desk, who can't keep one customer in their sights but must flit between jobs and allow random people to interrupt conversations. I'll try another place next time.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the back of the hotel, the front is directly on a main road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
ZaraBH, Manager at Zara's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

First and foremost we would like to thank you for staying with us. Thank you for taking your valuable time to give us some constructive comments and we appreciate that you have highlighted our hotel being safe, quiet and reasonably priced. That is the primary objective that we would like to achieve. That is to provide a clean, safe, convenient, spacious and affordable accommodation to our valuable guests like yourself.

We will be initiating our shuttle services to the airport and downtown in the next few months and meanwhile we will look into your observation of the front office trainees and will definitely ensure that they follow our standard operating procedures when checking in and checking out guests. We apologized for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you once again for staying with us.

Patricia Michael
Hotel manager

Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

Staying here for company event. realise its a good place, Good location and suitable for guest that needs parking!

Spacious room and friendly staff

Near Times Square. Place for clubbing or night life. Also near Sutera harbour, where u can hoop for island trip!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I will be back! Thats what I said to the lady @the receptionist in October last year. I did come back, just recently-February. Again traveling solo on business. I simply like the ambience/loction. Easy to get food. Clean room & the staffs are very helpful & friendly. Will I be back to stay here again? Definitely...I am coming back again in May.-school holidays. This time with my family.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business