“Oh dear - what a shame”
Review of Le Safran

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Le Safran
Ranked #406 of 593 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Perhaps the fact that we were the only people there should have given some hint of things to come. This is the last night for us in KK until we return next year - we were looking for somewhere special.
The first three dishes my husband ordered were 'not available' - neither was the basket of bread rolls we ordered from the menu. He had no complaint with his fourth choice - hence the 2 stars rather than the one star I felt they deserved.
I ordered salmon in a cream sauce with pasta - with visions of a delightful dish with a lucious sauce perhaps flavoured with dill - or even a little parsley would have been fine. What was plonked in front of me was pasta in tomato sauce and bit salmon on the side of the plate - NOT what I had ordered. If I had known that cream was also 'not available' I would have ordered something else. I tried to eat it - but it was tasteless - tomato from a tin with no trace of a herb to cheer it up. Maybe a bit of onion. I gave up. Drank my wine (which was OK) and we left to seek another restaurant for pudding.
The very worst meal I have ever had in KK. I have always thought of KK as a city with marvelous food in every restaurant. I was proved wrong. Shame it was our last night. But we have good memories of many other restaurants with marvelous food.

2  Thank MGO_12
There are newer reviews for Le Safran

Reviewed 2 September 2012

If you want to have fine French dining in Kota Kinabalu, this is the place. Though alcohol is used in some items in the menu, the waiter/tress takes the effort to check with the kitchen if you enquire. So for muslim patrons, don't hesitate to be a bit particular. The fondant is a must so is croissant. They will bake it upon ordering to ensure the freshness

4  Thank june1970_11
Reviewed 29 August 2012

in a shopping center usually hard to find tasty delicious food. LeSafran is an exception. More vegetarian options than most restaurants in KK and all have been good. Chocolate desert is really wonderful!

1  Thank dive2128
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Liked- the attractive menu and the sea view from the restaurant.
Disliked- 1. The imported fish from Australia (as they claimed) was no longer fresh and was sour. Complained to the waitrss and she offered me to change the dish to a local fish without cost. However, she still insists that the imported fish was fresh without tasting it herself.
2. Soup was expensive by KK standards and came without any bread.
3. We were sitting outside at the back and there were many times we tried to get some service but the staff was inside the aircond section. There were 4-5 tables occupied but there were no staff in attendance.

Overall: Lousy Food and Poor Service

P.S. To the owner, watch your staff coz your supervisor or manager was stiiting next on the table to our table in the midst of all these poor service!

Reviewed 12 April 2012

After hovering outside thinking it was a cafe we were very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and the very pleasant staff. We both chose the chefs recommends , a delicious crab salad starter, and the tenderloin medallions, which was in fact a fillet steak that was cooked to perfection . For dessert we had the mini creme brûlées. The Penfolds wine was a snip compared to our hotel prices.. As a tip I would advise ordering a side dish of the Ratatouille . The bread was warm and delicious. The staff were very keen to please and nothing was too much trouble. A very pleasant surprise.

1  Thank Gailperry