“Décevant”

Le Safran
Ranked #406 of 593 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Restaurant been moved from Kota Kinabalu city to a residential area. Tricky to locate if you are new to Kota Kinabalu. And very limited parking place if you have a car. Ate at Le Safran for our wedding aniversary dinner. Most dissapointing, all the meals from hors d'oeuvre to plat principal was not hot nor warm. The complimentay Vegetable soup was not sieved out with it's woody steam bits still mixed together in the soup that we have to keep spitting it out!! We left the soup and took over my platter of cool Escargots cooked in cream sauce which was served together with the soup! We both ordered the lamb shoulder was just inedible - cool and gristly. Decided not to have the dessert as we were unsure what it's like as both starter and main course itself was most dissapointing. Price is no doubt reasonable but unfortunatedly we can eat the courses that's been served. Services is good but staff was unable to understand the order of meals serving entry or meat cooking condition. Requested medium to rare cook for the lamb but the meat was welled done! As the waiter informed that the soup was complimentary to the main course hence requested him to serve the escargots after the soup but all 3 starters came together!! Dissapointing.

2  Thank KK2104
There are newer reviews for Le Safran

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Only been there once, had a veg lasagna dish and it was great. I was disappointed by the small selection of desserts. I dont think i ended up having any.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Perhaps the fact that we were the only people there should have given some hint of things to come. This is the last night for us in KK until we return next year - we were looking for somewhere special.
The first three dishes my husband ordered were 'not available' - neither was the basket of bread rolls we ordered from the menu. He had no complaint with his fourth choice - hence the 2 stars rather than the one star I felt they deserved.
I ordered salmon in a cream sauce with pasta - with visions of a delightful dish with a lucious sauce perhaps flavoured with dill - or even a little parsley would have been fine. What was plonked in front of me was pasta in tomato sauce and bit salmon on the side of the plate - NOT what I had ordered. If I had known that cream was also 'not available' I would have ordered something else. I tried to eat it - but it was tasteless - tomato from a tin with no trace of a herb to cheer it up. Maybe a bit of onion. I gave up. Drank my wine (which was OK) and we left to seek another restaurant for pudding.
The very worst meal I have ever had in KK. I have always thought of KK as a city with marvelous food in every restaurant. I was proved wrong. Shame it was our last night. But we have good memories of many other restaurants with marvelous food.

2  Thank MGO_12
Reviewed 2 September 2012

If you want to have fine French dining in Kota Kinabalu, this is the place. Though alcohol is used in some items in the menu, the waiter/tress takes the effort to check with the kitchen if you enquire. So for muslim patrons, don't hesitate to be a bit particular. The fondant is a must so is croissant. They will bake it upon ordering to ensure the freshness

4  Thank june1970_11
Reviewed 29 August 2012

in a shopping center usually hard to find tasty delicious food. LeSafran is an exception. More vegetarian options than most restaurants in KK and all have been good. Chocolate desert is really wonderful!

1  Thank dive2128