Borneo Tribes Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kota Kinabalu
See available hotels
Hotel Rafflesia(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Breakfast included
Park Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
Monaco Boutique Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
Hotel Asia City(Kota Kinabalu)
Hii-5 Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
Grand M Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Borneo Tribes was probably the biggest disaster of my trip to Kota Kinabalu.

I always try and be as balanced as possible in my reviews, and put in the good points first, but unfortunately, there is not a SINGLE good point I can think of about this hotel.

It started at the reception, when after showing him my booking confirmation, I mentioned casually that I hoped that the room is with en suite bath. No, shared, he said. Upon my insistence that I had specifically asked for, and booked a room with en suite bathroom, he said he will upgrade me to a 'deluxe' room.

Deluxe? That has got to be the joke of the century. This is what I experienced with Borneo Tribes:

- Dodgy location
- Atrocious hygiene- sheets, bathroom, wash basin etc.were FILTHY. The wash basin and the tap had probably not been cleaned ever since the hotel was built.
- Very dim lighting in the room
- Poor ventilation: my room stank when I entered one night and I had to request for room freshener to remove the stench. That too had effect for only a few minutes.
- Stained sheets.
- The spare pillow was without a pillow case and had shades of brown, yellow and grey on it.
- Reception is actually a hole in the wall in a narrow corridor. That is usually manned by a chap who cannot understand English, or his brother who is worse. He 'girlfriend' was cuddling up to him one evening in the reception cubicle.
Dirty, stained walls.
And although booking.com had specifically said wi fi was free all over the premises, there was no wifi. 'Not working, problem' was the response when I asked.
- Overall a complete fleapit. Avoid like the plague. (I'm tempted to say 'avoid to avoid catching the plague-- the hygiene there is so atrocious).
I strongly recommend you remove this hotel from your list in the interest of your own reputation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Two nights spent here was more than enough! I stayed in a single room with a private shower, but shared toilet.

Good points:
* Good location. 2 mins walk to the night fish market; 5 mins to the Centre Point mall
* Cheap.... although you get what you pay for I suppose!
* That's about all I can think of...

Bad points:
* Rude and unhelpful staff, who speak very little English
* Stained sheets and towel. Not 100% convinced they were freshly washed
* Ants. Lots of ants in the room, and I didn't have any food there to attract them. Assuming there were other bugs there too, as I woke up this morning with lots of bite marks over my feet, legs and arms. Also lots of cockroaches roaming around the corridoors.
* Terrible wifi connection. I was on the first floor, and could barely get a connection, and when I did it would cut out every few minutes. Got a perfect wifi signal on my phone when walking downstairs to go outside... unhelpful!
* The shared toilet was DIRTY. Not just a bit grubby, but actually dirty.
* The shower fittings in my room were broken, so had to hold up the shower head. Not the end of the world, but something that can be easily fixed.
* The door knob to my room broke off, so I was locked out. Staff were very unhelpful in trying to help, and it seemed like a big effort for them to get up off their arses and do something. Give them their due, it was fixed after 20 minutes of fiddling, but still was quite dodgy, and I had to be very careful with it after that.
* Noise! My room was at the front of the building, and there was non-stop loud music and screaming until at least 4am this morning. A bit of noise doesn't bother me as I can usually sleep right through, but this was constant. Not great if you're a light sleeper!

I wanted to be balanced and fair writing this review, but I've just stated it as it was. Definitely avoid this place!!

Room Tip: Avoid the place!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo