“Biking Borneo was well organised; excellent tour guides; a workout but was not widely interesting riding.”
Review of Bike Borneo

Bike Borneo
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike Borneo offer mountain biking and cycling tours in Sabah Malaysia. All routes are inspired rides by the Sabah-based mountain biking experts. Nobody knows Borneo like we do. Perfect for thrill seekers through to families!Bike Borneo DO NOT employ agents to enhance our Tripadvisor listing, our reviews are all 100% genuine. We welcome any improvements that Tripadvisor may introduce to inhibit this misleading practice.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our tour guide, Dan, met us at the hotel in town ... he was on time so a good start. We could tell immediately that he was a terrific young guy, i.e., polite and pleasant to talk to. Dan has a wonderful disposition and was most enjoyable. We drove a long way (an hr) to meet up with Jeffry and collect bikes. They both helped us get fitted with bikes. Bikes were new Merida hard-tail mountain bikes. Dan took plenty of time to make sure that everything was fitted and working well.

After loading up the bikes we then drove another hr or so to Mt. Kinabalu to start the ride. Final check on the bikes then off back down the hill that we'd just drove up. It is a fast, road with plenty of fast traffic and only one lane in each direction ... I was somewhat nervous for my wee girl so I cycled at the back of our group of four. We rode down for about 10km them went off road. The off the main road but still down a sleep road. Then up then down and up then down. Not much for rolling along. We skipped the 5km uphill climb and the busy road section but rejoined the riding on quieter roads and made it to the home stay in the late afternoon ... we were all ready for a break. The homestay (a large community project) was in an excellent location on the river. Dan and Jeffry made an excellent supper while we rested. Accommodation was basic ... we didn't sleep too well.

The next day was relentless up and down on pebble tracks and some roads until the lunch stop. In the searing heat and on rough roads the ride was not easy with some very steep sections. I was poop'd by lunch time, which was at a local restaurant serving decent basic, yummy food. After lunch we road on excellent roads to Belude ... an easy and enjoyable ride.

If you want a simple ride through rolling countryside then look elsewhere.

My butt is still sore from the hard, uncomfortable saddle and lack of rear suspension.

Dan was really excellent and made the entire experience worthwhile. I didn't get to know Jeffry so well but for sure he was a key member of the team.

Note: if you are going to climb the mountain and also do the bike riding in Borneo make sure you ride first then have at least one day off before climbing the mountain. I did the climb (after the bike riding) and my legs were sore for three days.

1  Thank Julian B
There are newer reviews for Bike Borneo

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Thanks to Bike Borneo for the excellent day out with our family a few weeks ago. We did the Tuaran one day ride and it was perfect for us with kids ages 12, 10 and 8. Nice flat ride through the rubber plantations, villages and over the rope bridges. They told us that our 8-year old daughter was the youngest person to complete the whole ride, but even if she wanted to have a break, I would have felt comfortable letting her go into the truck with the other guide for a break. Christian was a knowledgeable and friendly guide. Our kids were a bit uncertain at first, but we all also really enjoyed lunch in town.

2  Thank ARKGang
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Fantastic day out with great guides and friendly staff. The bike ride was definitely the hi light but we all enjoyed the white river rafting also. Our 14 year old had a ball getting wet and muddy as did we. Christian our guide was informative and funny and the guys went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Awesome scenery and the local people and children were gorgeous. Definitely put this one on your list to take in the local customs , you will have a ball. Be aware though your legs will get a workout.

3  Thank Linda G
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had a great time on my day trip to Tuaran. Christian, my guide, was so friendly and informative and nearly impossible to stump no matter what I asked him about. He took me on a great route and was willing to tweak the trip slightly to meet my needs or wants. I feel like a got a real insider's view on life in Sabah and all while having a great time on a bike. The bike I rode was well-maintained and perfectly adequate for the riding we did. My only regret is that I didn't have time to do one of their multi-day trips. I really need to go back sometime and join them for a longer trip.

2  Thank Dan O
Reviewed 9 January 2014

A mountain bike ride with the boys from bike Borneo should be on everyone's agenda. It is a very well organised tour where you really do get to see the beautiful countryside of Sabah. The bikes are well maintained. Michael (guide) was friendly, funny and full of local knowledge. Take a day off the beaten track because you will not be disappointed!

2  Thank chray2011