“Convenient..”
Review of Borneo 1945 Museum Kopitiam - CLOSED

Borneo 1945 Museum Kopitiam
Cuisines: Malaysian
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

During my recent visit to Kota Kinabalu, I'd stayed at Borneo Backpackers & Borneo 1945 is right downstairs, in fact, it was the first place I'd noticed when I got the the area. Basically, for me, having my meals here was sheer convenience on evenings when I didn't feel like walking in search of food after a big day out. They open from 8.00am till 11.00pm - a bit too late for me to have breakfast (I'm usually off before 8.00am) but late enough so I can have a drink in the late evening.

The menu isn't terribly extensive but it has enough variety to choose from. I particularly liked the fish & chips as the fish tasted nice & fresh, so much so I had it twice! The coffees, of which I'd tried 2 varieties, was ok but then again I hadn't tasted any coffee that I'd particularly favoured during my stay in this city. So, ok is good enough. Plus, RM3.00 for an iced coffee isn't bad.

Service was decent & food/drinks that I'd ordered all arrived fairly quickly. During all the times I'd been here I'd only sat at the seats outside as there's always a nice breeze. There is a cute black cat that belongs to the cafe but he's quite aggressive at demanding for food, jumping up on to the table & coming up close to your plate! Me, I'm cat person, so, tolerate it to a certain extent, then I'd if he goes too far, I'll just remove him (from off the table) but, I reckon, not all patrons are going to be patient & it may be a good idea for the management to keep an eye on the little fella.

On the whole, it's a nice place but like I said, it was sheer convenience for me since I stayed right next door. However, had I stayed elsewhere, I don't think I would've gone out of my way to come here. Let's just say, if you happen to be in the area, yeah sure, you can give it a try but it's not a "must eat here while in KK" place.

1  Thank GPenaflorida

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Bright and breezy with a good atmosphere. Glad we had our last lunch in KK here. Small menu but offered different options. Coffee, juices and our Malay dishes were very good. The other dishes we saw come out of the kitchen also looked impressive.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

During my stay in Kota Kinabalu I went to this place several times, both for lunch and coffee and also dinner/drinks.

They claim to serve the best coffee in town and - at least compared to other coffees i have had in KK - this is absolutely true. If you feel stuck in Asia and you just want to drink a nice western Espresso or Cappuccino, this is your place. I really enjoyed the coffee there.

Both Malayian and Western Cuisine is available on the Menu, I tried the Chicken Curry, the Tuna Sandwich and the Chicken Pandan Platter, which were all really tasty and served quickly.

This place also serves beer, so on nice evenings it is great to have beer there, sitting outside.
Since the Kopi Tiam is directly in the "Backpacker's Quarter" of Kota Kinabalu, you will always meet a lot of interesting people with really interesting travel stories to tell - and also the owners are very friendly and were always giving great advice for my further travel plannings.

How to find: Situated at the roundabout after you exit Jalan Gaya at the "Guardian" pharmacy

Reviewed 25 April 2014

If you want normal Malay food, go to a Kedai Kopi and it will cost you about half of what this place charges.

We opted for some kaya toast and a cup of Borneo White Coffee. The toast was fine, but it is kind of hard to mess that up. The coffee (an espresso drink) was bitter and weak. You would be better off getting a kopi susu or kopi C in a local place. It cost 8 RM a cup as opposed to less than 2 RM in a kedai kopi.

The staff seem bored and as we left, we noticed the cook smoking in the kitchen. Just don't bother - there are so many better places.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The best sambal in town! I must say because it's hard to find a spicy sambal in KK. Place is unique, plays good music and really have the best coffee in town!

1  Thank tenuk