“Best family experience in Borneo”
Review of Scuba Junkie KK

Scuba Junkie KK
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba Junkie KK arranges daily dive and snorkel trips to over 15 Islands in the Kota Kinabalu (KK) area including the world famous Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. This is an area you really need to fun dive and snorkel a few days in order to experience all the amazing bio-diverse marine life that this area has to offer!
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My name is Matthew and together with my wife and two children we went diving with Scuba Junkies and it was awesome!

Whilst in Borneo we saw wild elephants, sun bears, orang-utans, macaques, gibbons, monitor lizards and all sorts of other exciting plants and animals. We trekked in the jungles and travelled up wild rivers but the most amazing adventure was scuba diving with Scuba Junkies in KK. Melly was our instructor for our discover scuba trip and she exceeded all of our expectations for an instructor and underwater guide and our expectations were high.

We had three awesome dives with Melly and a break for lunch which was included! Having never dived before we did not know how we would go and during our introductory training I was not sure that I was going to be able to dive. I simply did not find the experience of breathing with scuba gear pleasant at all. Melly however, encouraged me to try a little longer and after sitting in shallow water for a short time, just breathing and getting used to the gear, I began to really enjoy the experience. Once comfortable and having demonstrated our ability to perform necessary skills, our first dive began. In total we did three dives and each time the dive got better and better. My kids became a little too confident on the third dive and began to swim about all over the place but Melly switched from exploring to a more playful dive and the kids had a ball.

These guys are great dive instructors and their passion for the environment was clear. We are now looking forward to more diving experiences, hopefully they will be in 29 degree water as well.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recently back from Kota Kinabalu and had a fantastic day out with Scuba Junkie. I am an experienced diver but my two daughters aged 16 & 14 yrs are not certified and wanted to try a discovery dive. We went out with Melly who was absolutely brilliant with them. She explained everything thoroughly and was extremely patient with my younger daughter who was having trouble getting used to her mask and reg. I think most instructors would have given up but Melly persisted until my daughter got it! Always felt totally safe in Melly's capable hands. Thoroughly recommend Scuba Junkie to beginners and experienced divers!

1  Thank Ayk_12
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I did some research before picking Scuba Junkies. I found their office and booked the AOWD course with my wife. Julie and Claire really helped us out and went above and beyond. We felt really comfortable and had a great time chatting with them. We had Abraham as our instructor and he was great and patient. The water was clear and diving was great. Melly was cool and we enjoyed the whole crew.
Since our diving trip was so great we decided to book another tour with them since the first one was awesome and we were very pleased. We did there one day hike up Mt. Kinabalu. The accommodations were great and our experience with everything was awesome.
Overall our experience with them was awesome. They were well organized, courteous, and just fun to be with. After diving other places this so far has been the best dive shop we have been to.

2  Thank CVAV
Reviewed 13 July 2014

After 5 months, 40 dives, 6 dive companies, and two certifications we finally found Scuba Junkie (or Scuba Hunkies, as decided should be the official name by my friends and I). I don’t really know how we all overlooked SJ, but finally the fate of the water gods blessed us with an experience that may never be topped.

I emailed two days before the intended date of diving and asked the outrageous request of being taken to a dive site we haven’t gone yet to celebrate a birthday. Not only did they respond in a timely manner, but they went above and beyond to ensure the birthday girl got a new experience. I went into the office early to pay (if you pay early you get a t-shirt, some Scuba Junkie swag – which is the top clothing to be seen wearing in KK), and instantly fell in love with (my new best friend) Melly and her office staff. They are hysterical, adorable and helpful.

The next day the party crew arrived to the office to get settled before our dive. After all divers arrived and finished paperwork (I also want to add that this is the first company to “properly” check our dive certifications!!) we headed to the jetty down the road. Because there were a good number of divers, groups were split onto two boats rather than cramming everyone on one boat. SJ is very aware of their divers and needs, and will split groups up so that dive masters/instructors are not overcrowded and that dive experiences are exceptional.

The party crew was given the pleasure of diving with Melly, while also sharing the boat with Awie. Melly went above and beyond the call of duty, and ended up being the star of the party crew. SJ ensures that dives are 60 minutes; whereas most companies surface around 45 minutes – but SJ is also aware of air consumption, and diver comfort.

The party crew agreed on the following: Scuba Junkie provided the best debriefing/introductions we have experienced. They fixed up all gear, while also bringing extras/different sizes in case of anything happening. They were prepared, and then prepared to be prepared. During lunch, we went over the dives, and filled out log books together, while also talking about what we saw and looking at pictures to remember – this is something most companies tend to brief over.

The dives themselves were spectacular. Usually out of three dives I’ve found that I have one AMAZING dive, and two OK dives. The water gods, and SJ did us well, each dive was 5 star AMAZING.

I highly recommend working with Scuba Hunkies, please don’t overlook them. They truly deliver the elusive 5-Star PADI experience that companies claim to have. It will be hard not to compare other companies to our experience with them… but it’s nice to finally experience what a company should be like. This isn’t the last of the party crew SJ. We will be back!

1  Thank ni_rey
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We did Discover Scuba Diving with Marc, he is wonderful. The staff were very professionnal and friendly, we really had a great time and would go back anytime.