“Two thumbs up”
Review of Scuba Junkie KK

Scuba Junkie KK
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba Junkie KK arranges daily dive and snorkel trips to over 15 Islands in the Kota Kinabalu (KK) area including the world famous Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. This is an area you really need to fun dive and snorkel a few days in order to experience all the amazing bio-diverse marine life that this area has to offer!
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Initially booked my OWC with the Scuba Junkie guys in Mabul, but due to the situation down south I ended up staying in KK and did my OWC with them instead. I literally turned up at the office asking for a slot to do my OWC the next day and found out it was full, and ended up joining the class itself on the same day. Faster service than KFC really.

Had my theory done by this funny one-legged guy (cough Rowan cough) and my confined and open water dives by the infamous Marc (so they say hahaha) who turned up from nowhere and it was a fun experience overall. Dive sites was just so-so, Sapi was nothing memorable but the Gaya island was good. By the third dive I've grown pretty comfortable with my own buoyancy, and now I'm itching to hit the sea again and dive.

Really glad that I stayed in KK for my OWC and not jumping head straight into Sipadan and Mabul because there's really a lot to remember and to get used to without additional distractions from the turtles and reef sharks. Sipadan and Mabul can wait ;) Will definitely come back if I'm around in KK again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Friendly dive crew who quickly arranged a good day of diving off of KK (I did 3 dives). While some of the sites have been degraded (few broken corals), there are some good spots (massive green turtle, cuttlefish, shoals of squid and many reef species). The dive sites near KK are heavily used but SJ kept our groups small which is way better. The trip near KK also includes lunch but bring some snacks and water to tide you over. This group takes an active approach to marine conservation which is always good to see (e.g. newer divers were kept off the reef till buoyancy was corrected; they also support a sea turtle hatchery). They do dives to some world class sites on the east coast which I hope to get to next time around.... I'll definitely use them again next time I pass through.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was diving with Scuba Junkie one day in KK in July 2014. I chose them basing on trip advisor opinions, came in and after few minute of talk, agreeing on last minute diving th next day, got even discount and definitely got positive experience. The equipment was good, dive instructor professional, food at lunch decent and generally staff very friendly. I recommend this place and if I'm back to KK, I'd definitely come back to diving with them!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked this and then went travelling. We had to change the date and this was done on minimum notice with no fuss. Tick. Three dives for the price of two. Tick. Having not dived for a couple of years the instructor was helpful . Tick. Awesome dive spots. Tick. Great lunch included . Tick.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My name is Matthew and together with my wife and two children we went diving with Scuba Junkies and it was awesome!

Whilst in Borneo we saw wild elephants, sun bears, orang-utans, macaques, gibbons, monitor lizards and all sorts of other exciting plants and animals. We trekked in the jungles and travelled up wild rivers but the most amazing adventure was scuba diving with Scuba Junkies in KK. Melly was our instructor for our discover scuba trip and she exceeded all of our expectations for an instructor and underwater guide and our expectations were high.

We had three awesome dives with Melly and a break for lunch which was included! Having never dived before we did not know how we would go and during our introductory training I was not sure that I was going to be able to dive. I simply did not find the experience of breathing with scuba gear pleasant at all. Melly however, encouraged me to try a little longer and after sitting in shallow water for a short time, just breathing and getting used to the gear, I began to really enjoy the experience. Once comfortable and having demonstrated our ability to perform necessary skills, our first dive began. In total we did three dives and each time the dive got better and better. My kids became a little too confident on the third dive and began to swim about all over the place but Melly switched from exploring to a more playful dive and the kids had a ball.

These guys are great dive instructors and their passion for the environment was clear. We are now looking forward to more diving experiences, hopefully they will be in 29 degree water as well.