“Snorkel fun!”
Review of Scuba Junkie KK

Scuba Junkie KK
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba Junkie KK arranges daily dive and snorkel trips to over 15 Islands in the Kota Kinabalu (KK) area including the world famous Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. This is an area you really need to fun dive and snorkel a few days in order to experience all the amazing bio-diverse marine life that this area has to offer!
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Snorkel fun!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a really fun day snorkelling with these guys in KK. We did three snorkels, of which the last was the most amazing, we saw some beautiful corals and brilliant tropical fish- a great site! We also had a really tasty lunch, and overall the day was really well organised. Really good value for money! I would also say that I'd feel comfortable giving diving another go with Melly because she was so brilliant at explaining everything to some guys doing a fun dive on our boat. I haven't got a dive cert, and freaked out a bit on a discovery dive I did elsewhere, hence the snorkelling. We ran out of time, but if i'd stayed for longer I would have trusted Melly completely! A really fun end to our great holiday in Borneo :-)

• Korean first
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Really good company”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Did my AOW with these guys in KK, had a great time, was just me and the instructor, they always answered my questions and we had good fun doing the different sections. Always felt safe, lunch was a good choice. Was a fantastic 2 days!!

Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia
“SJ is not paying me to write this”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My review may seem overly positive, probably prompting a prospective customer to suspect that I was paid to write this. But the truth is that SJ truly does deserve the international acclaim that they have received! We headed over to KK to get our OWC in July, and met up with a limping, seemingly beat-up Englishman who convinced us that the scars were in fact, from a motorbike accident and he was a very qualified instructor. We went on to spend a day in theory classes with Rowan, the limping Englishman who turned out to be an awesome teacher, somehow managing to make the PADI videos bearable.

Bright and early the next day, we were introduced to the pride of the Pack girls, Melly. Probably the most charismatic and infinitely amusing individual our group has ever met. With an endless stock of diving stories and diving jokes, she made our two days of diving thoroughly enjoyable. We learnt the skills required for OWC with ease with Melly, a great instructor (have I said that enough yet?) and continued on to our first ever open water dive.

She handled the hiccups in our dive with ease, being the great instructor she is (again) and pointed out interesting marine life, the most diverse I've ever seen. Truly a magical experience, Melly helped us enjoy the scuba experience without worrying too much about the technical side of it, thanks to the simple and concise explanations during the practical classes.

Lunch was handled smoothly by the SJ crew on both occasions, even with packed restaurants and mysterious Korean hot sauce. We truly appreciate the personal touch and very comprehensive package that SJ had given us. They are a great bunch, and we will recommend, without a doubt, to go with the Junkies on your next diving trip. P/s: ask for Melly, you'll love her (again!)

Miri, Sarawak
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two thumbs up”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Initially booked my OWC with the Scuba Junkie guys in Mabul, but due to the situation down south I ended up staying in KK and did my OWC with them instead. I literally turned up at the office asking for a slot to do my OWC the next day and found out it was full, and ended up joining the class itself on the same day. Faster service than KFC really.

Had my theory done by this funny one-legged guy (cough Rowan cough) and my confined and open water dives by the infamous Marc (so they say hahaha) who turned up from nowhere and it was a fun experience overall. Dive sites was just so-so, Sapi was nothing memorable but the Gaya island was good. By the third dive I've grown pretty comfortable with my own buoyancy, and now I'm itching to hit the sea again and dive.

Really glad that I stayed in KK for my OWC and not jumping head straight into Sipadan and Mabul because there's really a lot to remember and to get used to without additional distractions from the turtles and reef sharks. Sipadan and Mabul can wait ;) Will definitely come back if I'm around in KK again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good day of diving”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Friendly dive crew who quickly arranged a good day of diving off of KK (I did 3 dives). While some of the sites have been degraded (few broken corals), there are some good spots (massive green turtle, cuttlefish, shoals of squid and many reef species). The dive sites near KK are heavily used but SJ kept our groups small which is way better. The trip near KK also includes lunch but bring some snacks and water to tide you over. This group takes an active approach to marine conservation which is always good to see (e.g. newer divers were kept off the reef till buoyancy was corrected; they also support a sea turtle hatchery). They do dives to some world class sites on the east coast which I hope to get to next time around.... I'll definitely use them again next time I pass through.